Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 7:45:23 PM EDT
I recently decided to make it a goal of mine to make it to the range at least twice a month, shooting a minimum of 150 rounds(5 magazines) each trip. To make the most of my time and ammo I've been putting together a set of drills to fire each trip. I'm trying to cover what I consider fundamental skills like: trigger and recoil control, target transition, shooting from different positions, etc. I've come up with about 90 rounds of the workout so far, and I'm hoping you guys might suggest some drills to fill out the remaining 60 rounds as well as critique what I've got so far. Obviously 150 rounds isn't that much but what I'm trying to do is set a bare minimum standard of practice that I maintain and supplement it when time and money allow. I'm trying to keep the set up as simple as possible, start with all full magazines, with drills changing between magazine changes.

This is what I've got so far:

First Magazine
-10 rounds, slow fire, 10 yards.
-10 rounds, slow fire, 50 yards
-10 rounds, slow fire, 100 yards

These 30 rounds act as a warm up and give me a chance to focus on the fundamentals of shooting isolated from everything else.

Second Magazine
All shots timed on an IPSC target, shots inside A-C are 0, all other are -1. Target is scored at the end of this magazine.
Starts from the low ready

-3 rounds, rapid fire, 10 yards x3
-3 rounds, rapid fire, 25 yards x3
-2 rounds, rapid fire, 50 yards x3
-1 round, kneeling, 75 yards x3
-1 round, kneeling, 100 yards x3

This magazine focuses on recoil control, speed, and getting into a position quickly. I'm thinking of adding par times to each distance that I'll decrease as my speed increases.

Third Magazine
All shots timed on two IPSC targets, scored as above.
Starts from the low ready.

-1 round each, two targets (warm up)
-2 rounds each, two targets x7

This magazine obviously focuses on recoil control and target transition. The odd 1-on-each is just because I needed to burn two rounds

To fill out the rest of the drills I feel like I should add shooting on the move, and off-side shooting.. What are some skills and related drills that you guys consider essential practice?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I recently decided to make it a goal of mine to make it to the range at least twice a month, shooting a minimum of 150 rounds(5 magazines) each trip. To make the most of my time and ammo I've been putting together a set of drills to fire each trip. I'm trying to cover what I consider fundamental skills like: trigger and recoil control, target transition, shooting from different positions, etc. I've come up with about 90 rounds of the workout so far, and I'm hoping you guys might suggest some drills to fill out the remaining 60 rounds as well as critique what I've got so far. Obviously 150 rounds isn't that much but what I'm trying to do is set a bare minimum standard of practice that I maintain and supplement it when time and money allow. I'm trying to keep the set up as simple as possible, start with all full magazines, with drills changing between magazine changes.

This is what I've got so far:

First Magazine

-10 rounds, slow fire, 10 yards.            Off Hand

-10 rounds, slow fire, 50 yards             Kneeling

-10 rounds, slow fire, 100 yards            Prone

These 30 rounds act as a warm up and give me a chance to focus on the fundamentals of shooting isolated from everything else.

Second Magazine

All shots timed on an IPSC target, shots inside A zone are 0 seconds, C zone hits are 3 second, D zone and misses are 10 seconds. Target is scored at the end of this magazine.

Starts from the low ready

-6 rounds, Off Hand, rapid fire, 10 yards x3

1 round off hand, 1 round kneeling, 1 round prone, then back to 1 round kneeling, and then 1 round off hand, repeat until magazine is empty, make sure to work you safety between each position.

This magazine focuses on recoil control, speed, and getting into a position quickly. I'm thinking of adding par times to each distance that I'll decrease as my speed increases.

Third Magazine

All shots timed on two IPSC targets, scored as above. Distance you targets 10 yards apart to force you to drive the gun, you can keep the targets close 10-25 yards to work on speed, or have them 50 yards out

Starts from the low ready.

-1 round each, two targets (warm up)

-2 rounds each, two targets x7

This magazine obviously focuses on recoil control and target transition. The odd 1-on-each is just because I needed to burn two rounds
To fill out the rest of the drills I feel like I should add shooting on the move, and off-side shooting.. What are some skills and related drills that you guys consider essential practice?

View Quote

I think you off to a good start, these would be the changes that I made, but of course its just my opinion. I would work on this for a few range trips, but you will want to break it up into segments that you can throw together with other drills to keep things fun.

Here are some of the ones I like to use.

For shooting on the move and support side shooting I like this drill

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been aware of the 1-5 drill, and think I think it's a pretty awesome drill and brings in a lot of different skills. Due to the relatively high round count for a single drill it'll probably be something I save for the occasional high round count range trip.
I like the highsmith drill you linked to. I'm thinking maybe I could include kind of a box movement into it to incorporate moving forward and rear ie: move forward to position one, move right, move rear, move left.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are a few more that I like.

http://youtu.be/D_0i3JSNwc0 This is a good one to work back and forth through the positions, gives you a hell of a work out.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Practice shooting on the move, It can be difficult, I have to practice in sand so it is not easy. You are off to a good start. It makes me happy to see others out there who train as a hobby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top