Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 7:28:48 PM EDT
What's a reasonable par time for a reload so that I can practice in the house?  Empty everything, bolt locked back is what I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally if I an reloading off a plate carrier it's as fast as 2.5 sec
Off the belt line maybe a few tents of a sec slower due to the travel my hand and mag have to go through, I also utilize a bad lever on my 556 guns. That's about half sec slower than my handgun transition.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Off the belt line maybe a few tents of a sec slower due to the travel my hand and mag have to go through, I also utilize a bad lever on my 556 guns. That's about half sec slower than my handgun transition.
View Quote

Thank you sir.  I did have a BAD Lever on my 556, but took it off because I have a 762 gun that doesn't have one to keep things the same.  I like the BAD Lever though, a little faster I think and handy for locking the bolt back.

I use a belt, and I actually would have thought a belt was faster than a plate carrier.  Have not ever tried a plate carrier though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My belt time is quicker due to the straight line from belt to mag-well. Going to the PC is a little slower for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you sir.  I did have a BAD Lever on my 556, but took it off because I have a 762 gun that doesn't have one to keep things the same.  I like the BAD Lever though, a little faster I think and handy for locking the bolt back.

I use a belt, and I actually would have thought a belt was faster than a plate carrier.  Have not ever tried a plate carrier though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all equipment dependent, if you are unhooking flaps on pouches or ripping open Velcro, then obviously a belt reload is slower, but for my Plate carrier I use HSGI tacos and on occasion Blue Force gear 10speed pouches. It's very fast. Personally I don't like running anything on my waist except a handgun. When you run with a battle belt shit flys off at full speed, even with really good stuff and it impairs my ability to get into weird positions when I need to conform to cover or fit through tight spaces, and modest Plate carrier works best for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's a reasonable par time for a reload so that I can practice in the house?  Empty everything, bolt locked back is what I'm thinking.
View Quote

It really depends on your equipment and skill level.

you need to find you own par time, and start from there.

start off crazy slow, and analyze your economy of movement, then repeat over and over.

then get the timer out and try to find your baseline par time.

work on it from there.

practice practice practice ...even when you don't feel like it.

( step one is to be safe, make sure there is no ammo in your dry fire area, etc,.)
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Focus on doing the reloads consistently every time first. Start slow, as your skill level progresses slowly speed up. A reload is no good if you rush and fumble the mag around. As for a par time i'd suggest working up to a 3.5 second reload par time. Once you can do that on a regular basis keep practicing and shave off 1 or 2 tenths of a second until you are comfortable both in doing the reload and with the speed.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I tend to find that some people who are trying to do something at a certain time clock, tend to over look simple things.
Just do, just practice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been practicing this quite a bit over the past year since I've been getting into competition stuff.  For me right now, below 3 sec is good.  Friends who don't compete, but still practice a bit tend to be closer to 4-5 sec.  6-8 sec is pretty normal for someone new to reloads.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a standard for rifle reloads but it starts from a ready position at 7 yards and is 2 body, reload, 1 head in  5 seconds.  I have never put dry reloads with no presentation to the target from a ready position to the timer. I will try it in a little while.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I tend to find that some people who are trying to do something at a certain time clock, tend to over look simple things.Just do, just practice.
View Quote

Dan's right.  Speed's a by-product, not a goal.  The goal is a loaded weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top