Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2014 12:55:38 AM EDT
I am really interested in learning tactics, but I am somewhat limited in what I can do physically. My condition affects my musculoskeletal system where I am not able to really run that well, nor do I have the ability to jump.

To start this discussion has anyone that's been to any classes have had other group members that were taking the class as well that had a physical disability? Or, is it just rare to see someone with a physical disability in a class?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There have been people in wheelchairs do the magpul courses. I'm sure if you talk it over with the instructors before hand they will get it all straightened out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I would just e-mail or call the instructor and see what they can say.. I imagine they would be able to work with you..
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I would consider finding a local instructor willing to give you a private lesson before attending a full class.   I have dealt with students with physical limitations before and it's hard to know how to address techniques when one doesn't have the same limitation.  There is often some experimentation to find alternatives in gun handling and positional shooting that work for the individual.  It's just easier to do this one on one than in a group setting,
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
You will find a lot of old farts in such classes, usually with some limitations.  Talk with the instructor first, part of such classes is to find what your real limitations are (sometimes not what you think) and how to work around real problems.  A good instructor can help you with this.  Having limitations makes it even more important to develop skills.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the advice thus far.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna just show up and say I'm here, now what without finding a class / instructor(s) that I can discuss my situation with beforehand mainly because of the investment made financially to take these type of classes.

K&M Precision Rifle Training is an hour from my home, it is a semi-private range that I'm seriously thinking of joining after the build I'm currently working on is completed that is being setup for longer ranges. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they offer tactical rifle courses that are open to non-military / non-law enforcement.

I have a 14.5" setup that I want to learn to use for close quarters and mid-range tactics. As for the suggestion of finding someone in my area is what I will look into with K&M being fairly close to where I live in NW Florida.

Lastly, if anyone here is familiar with K&M or have taken a class there or used the facility, could I get any feedback on the place and/or the folks that run the place or teach there?

—300 Yard Range
—1000 Yard Known Distance Range
—615 Yard Mover Range w/ Two Automated Mover Systems
—1000 Yard Unknown Distance Range
—800 Yard Field Fire Range
—835 Yard Automated Range
—Three 270 Degree Pistol and Carbine Bays
—250 Yard 270 Degree Carbine/Pistol Range
—100 Yard Covered Static Rifle and Pistol Range
—12 Utility and Scenario Ranges (50-750 yards)
—2400 Square Foot Pavilion
—Automated Classroom
—Various real world props, urban mock ups, obstacles and over 250 steel targets
—Covered tower/firing positions permit simultaneous training on the 1000 Yard Range, Mover Range or the 835 Yard Range and allows training to continue during inclement weather
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]
My fiancee took a carbine 1 course and she's an amputee (right leg above knee). Just tell the instructor and they should be able to make it work for you. Don't let it slow ya down buddy you can do it

It would probably be best for you to push yourself and find exactly what your limitations are (if any) in a class before a real life situation anyways. Thats why I put my fiancee in one. I wanted her to know exactly what she could and should do if she needed to protect herself. She's taken quite a few handgun courses as well with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
50%tactical here has one arm.  I would ask him to see if he knows of any instructors that would make the best out of the situation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how good their training is, but K&M has an outstanding facility.

I've had numerous students in the courses I run with disabilities, especially disabled veterans. Had a student in a recent carbine course who had a prosthetic lower arm and leg, courtesy of an IED.

I have another student that takes my carbine courses regularly. He can run a carbine but can't use a handgun. This means he can't participate in transition drills and the like.

I've found it easy to fit in students that have special needs. Has not been an issue so far.   Your condition sounds like a fairly easy one to accommodate.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Not rare at all.  And all the more reason to get some training.  If you can't run away, your options become limited to give up or stand your ground and fight.  And I don't think most would consider the former a viable option.

Any good trainer should welcome you, I would just make sure and discuss it with them in advance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Not an issue.  Where in north Florida are you?  Sounds like you're west of Panama City.

I have a training set up, no where as fancy as K&M mind you, which I've heard nothing but OUTSTANDING things about, but more than adequate that I'd be glad to help you out with a VERY AFFORDABLE private class.  I'm located about 30 minutes east of Tallahassee if you don't mind a drive... IM me if you're interested in details.

You can get an idea about me and my small operation here:

Signal-0

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would consider finding a local instructor willing to give you a private lesson before attending a full class.   I have dealt with students with physical limitations before and it's hard to know how to address techniques when one doesn't have the same limitation.  There is often some experimentation to find alternatives in gun handling and positional shooting that work for the individual.  It's just easier to do this one on one than in a group setting,
View Quote

Good advice SR.
OP-Any trainer worth his salt can make it work with you, but you will need to discuss it with him first so he can prepare for you, and for how he will integrate your limitations into his program of instruction for your benefit as well as the other paying members of the class.
EDIT: I see you are well prepared. I salute you for living life ot the fullest and not letting your disability keep you captive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am really interested in learning tactics, but I am somewhat limited in what I can do physically. My condition affects my musculoskeletal system where I am not able to really run that well, nor do I have the ability to jump.

To start this discussion has anyone that's been to any classes have had other group members that were taking the class as well that had a physical disability? Or, is it just rare to see someone with a physical disability in a class?
View Quote

James Yeagers courses have handled many disabled people. He used to be very hard to listen to much has laxed up alot over the last year. many still don't like him but then again who IS liked by everyone?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
James might be an ass on YouTube but in real life he's a good guy. He'd do his best to accommodate a person with disabilities.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Intro level carbine classes usually aren't very physically demanding. They teach the fundamentals of combat marksmanship which is still a finesse skill. Call ahead, I'm sure it will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Paul Gardner was shot through the spine in Iraq in 2003.
Last week he finished 11 straight days of training in OH at an EAG Shoot House Course, EAG /CQB CQB Operations Course and an EAG Continuing Education Course (pictured below)

Paul is an exceptionally hard Man and has taken multiple courses around the country.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I would call around to several schools in your area.  There will more than likely be several that have shooting curriculum they will be more than willing to modify to fit your needs.  You'd have an awesome time, and it would benefit them as much as you.  Hope you get shooting soon!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would just e-mail or call the instructor and see what they can say.. I imagine they would be able to work with you..
View Quote
+1  Most instructors will work with people who have some physical limitations.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Paul Gardner was shot through the spine in Iraq in 2003.

Last week he finished 11 straight days of training in OH at an EAG Shoot House Course, EAG /CQB CQB Operations Course and an EAG Continuing Education Course (pictured below)

Paul is an exceptionally hard Man and has taken multiple courses around the country.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/EAG_TACTICAL/2015%20CEC%20Apr%202015%20Alliance%20OH/DSC_0367_zpsrvso8hih.jpg

View Quote
Motivating

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Clint Smith (thunder ranch) told me he had a girl in a wheel chair take a class.  Give him or Heidi a call.  Great people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top