Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 2:51:15 PM EDT
Is it just me or are knee pads extremely uncomfortable?  They seem to restrict movement and do not feel natural.  They just don't feel right maybe I need to tighten/losses them?? I'm using arteryx knee pads/cups
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel you on that one. I've not tried those, but the only ones I've sen worth a damn are the crye pads in the pants and that's gonna cost you,some coin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a big fan of the hatch x-tak. They pretty much all suck, but these seem to suck the least.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I can contribute something finally.  Go buy your knee pads and elbow pads at a skateboard shop.  I bought the ones for shooters and was horrably dissapointed and i gave it up to older knees and cartilage .  As i felt sorry for my old self, I had light bulb go off and dug into the closet and pulled out my old ones from the skate days.   I havent used these in 17 years and the fact was they actually did the job without me realizing they were there told me something.  I dont know how i didnt think about this a few months ago, but I have regained my confidence in my knees and I dont think twice dropping prone.  You have to admit the skate industry has been dropping into a 15 foot vert ramps on their knees for over 30 years, it made sense they have better and more comfortable stuff.  I hope this helps someone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
i love my kneecaps from dead bird best i have ever used for an external  knee pad
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can contribute something finally.  Go buy your knee pads and elbow pads at a skateboard shop.  I bought the ones for shooters and was horrably dissapointed and i gave it up to older knees and cartilage .  As i felt sorry for my old self, I had light bulb go off and dug into the closet and pulled out my old ones from the skate days.   I havent used these in 17 years and the fact was they actually did the job without me realizing they were there told me something.  I dont know how i didnt think about this a few months ago, but I have regained my confidence in my knees and I dont think twice dropping prone.  You have to admit the skate industry has been dropping into a 15 foot vert ramps on their knees for over 30 years, it made sense they have better and more comfortable stuff.  I hope this helps someone.
View Quote

This.

Found a set with elbow pad for under $30, and it helped my 44 y/o bones

good luck
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are ok with knee pads underneath your pants, paintball knee pads are pretty much fantastic. I prefer Dye Precision, but there are other brands as good. Be prepared to spend 60-80 bucks though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i love my kneecaps from dead bird best i have ever used for an external  knee pad
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I use mountain biking shin+knee pads - currently from Fox Racing. Since they strap across the calves and are well ventilated, they don't feel like they restrict movement like some of the "tactical" knee pads.

But I suppose the lesson here is that if it's comfortable and protects your knees, they're all good (even though some need a few coats of krylon to be "tactical").
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:49:26 AM EDT
[#9]
These are very good if you like a more lightweight set.

Dirty Dave's Kneepads

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I feel you on that one. I've not tried those, but the only ones I've sen worth a damn are the crye pads in the pants and that's gonna cost you,some coin.
View Quote

Only knee pads I can wear. The straps of normal pads feel like tourniquets on my legs when I take a knee. Honestly, the crye combat pants really are worth it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't post much, never posted here....but here is my 2 cents (give or take 2 cents)

Ive used probably 8-10 different styles of knee pads. The arcteryx ones mentioned (that you don't care for) and really cheap fabric and foam ones (they were small maybe 4x6" or a bit less) are my favorites (with the caveat that I hate them none the less). One the cheap ones we would cut the backs out (the elastic part) and make two narrow strips to hold them on. This weakend them quickly but kept down on the chaffing and loss of circulation and discomfort. We would get replacements as needed. At around $8 a pr. It was money well spent (providing sup ply had none).

Regarding your comfort issues with the arcteryx,  I usually wear/wore mine with the top strap tight enough to keep the pad in alignment, and the bottom one lose enough just to keep it from twisting or being all flippity floppy. It's not a perfect solution, but it works.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive run many different types of knee pads, but i recently got the ALTA CONTOUR knee pads and i found them to be the most comfortable yet.  They dont roll around on your knee caps like many pads do (i have knobby knees), and they have a grip panel above the knee so they dont creep down on you like many others do.

https://www.altaindustries.com/products/knee-protection/altacontour
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top