Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 12:41:16 AM EDT
One of the regular things that I teach with carbines (or any firearm for that matter) is clearing malfunctions. The normal procedure is that I show the students how it is done step-by-step, then I do it all the way through "live" so they can see it. Then I have the students do it, first step-by-step with me calling out the steps, then have them go all the way through on their own when commanded. We go through several iterations until all the students have it down pat. Fairly standard instructional method, and it works.

The problem is, the students get it just fine while that is the current training drill, but later in the day you'll see a student have a "real" malfunction and they vapor lock. Oftentimes, myself or one of the other Instructors have to verbally walk them through clearing it.

I kept thinking to myself, "It would be great if I could induce malfunctions randomly throughout the day, when students weren't concentrating on malfunctions."

Enter the FU Stick. I took a very sturdy yardstick I found at Home Depot, over twice as thick as a regular yardstick. I wrapped the yardstick in black Gorilla tape. While students are shooting drills, such as Use of Cover, one of the Instructors will cover the ejection port of their carbine with the end of the FU Stick, inducing a malfunction. Most of the malfunctions are double-feeds or stovepipes.

So far the FU Stick has worked like a champ, but I have only used it on AR variants in .223/5.56. Not sure how well it will work on carbines with a more vigorous ejection than the AR.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Fricken genius!
Question though; why the tape on the stick?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#2]
At Redback 1 class Falla or his AI will wak up behind you and do that too, just with their hands.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quite frankly, I didn't want to tote around a yardstick. I painted one OD green, and coated another with Gorilla tape. The one with the tape seemed to work a little better. I think that thick tape gives just a tad of cushion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had instructors do this with a gloved hand.  While they are inducing a malfunction they are also removing your extra magazine.

I tried it with a student I was coaching in the class without a glove using the back of my fingers, BRASS BURN!!!  Wear the glove.

Also I have had institutors grab the slide over the ejection port on handguns to cause malfunctions.  

Another class were were told to bring dummy rounds and mix those into our mags.  I used stripper clips with a dummy I made; reloaded without primer or powder, so I would not have to go searching for the dummy round later.  Dummy round was loaded in Position 1 to 5 on the stripper clip, 1 dummy per stripper clip, then mixed up and tossed in my bag.  As I reloaded mags with a LULA it made for a more random placement of the the problem.

NOTE: These were advanced classes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Load dummy rounds or blanks randomly into student's mags. I find this is the best way, without having to follow students around or jam shit into their rifles.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Dummy rounds are a good one and I use it regularly, BUT it only practices a limited sort of malfunction:  failure to fire or a magazine not seated. With an AR, SPORTS takes care of both quite nicely.

But, what happens when you have a failure to eject/extract?  You can SPORTS all day long and won't fix the problem. The stick forces students to practice clearing the malfunctions that SPORTS won't fix.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I used a stick I found on the ground for the same purpose. 3rd or 4th time I did it, the subject started clearing the jam smoothly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
We've been assisting Talon Defense with his Gunfighter Course for about 2.5 years now. We started utilizing a stick with an ammo box taped to it. It has now developed to a little stick we call the PAW (Problem Activation Wand, patent pending). In this video you can see use of the PAW (instructor furthest from the camera) and of the ubiquitous muddy stick (instructor close to the camera), both effective little tools. The PAW has a few more applications and can control a little better the type of problem you can cause to both handguns and rifles. We just broke the code on the AK, up until recently the AK was a tough bird to drop.

Full Speed Malfunctions

VID LINKIE

The PAW is available to those wanting to ramp up their abilities in malfunction clearing and mental flexibility.

Interested parties let me know.

As Buck the Cat (the inspiration for the PAW) says: "Let them hate, so long as they learn."

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've been assisting Talon Defense with his Gunfighter Course for about 2.5 years now. We started utilizing a stick with an ammo box taped to it. It has now developed to a little stick we call the PAW (Problem Activation Wand, patent pending). In this video you can see use of the PAW (instructor furthest from the camera) and of the ubiquitous muddy stick (instructor close to the camera), both effective little tools. The PAW has a few more applications and can control a little better the type of problem you can cause to both handguns and rifles. We just broke the code on the AK, up until recently the AK was a tough bird to drop.

Full Speed Malfunctions

VID LINKIE

The PAW is available to those wanting to ramp up their abilities in malfunction clearing and mental flexibility.

Interested parties let me know.

As Buck the Cat (the inspiration for the PAW) says: "Let them hate, so long as they learn."

I've been on both the giving and receiving end of a PAW... They are an awesome and versatile tool.

<a href="http://s15.photobucket.com/user/sabre07/media/54c07042-1755-431d-819a-bb3abb90fbb5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/sabre07/54c07042-1755-431d-819a-bb3abb90fbb5.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been on the receiving end of the PAW a time or 27, it really is a great tool. You can create any malfunction you can imagine with that thing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Hammered pair.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My wasr 10 doesn't shoot hp ammo reliably, I've gotten pretty good at just racking and rolling. First few times I was like wut now when it goes click it's almost a secondary motion. I'm still not great at it but I know what's up and how to clear it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Great video!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Great video!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Great video!

Thanks, they are available to firearms instructors.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw myself in the video
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.  I'm internet famous now. Hilarious video.

But seriously, the paw is infuriating but great at making you practice clearing malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like more than a few did not take cover once they realized they had a malfunction.

Edit: Listened more to the audio this time and heard an instructor saying something about using cover. Good on them
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

But seriously, the paw is infuriating but great at making you practice clearing malfunctions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shared to the MOA facebooks. You famous now.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#21]
The idea of working malfunctions is more than fixing malf'ed guns. It also builds mental flexibility so that a problem that can cause a train wreck becomes a annoyance that is fixed through a quick assessment and methodical steps. Water around a rock...
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

That is pretty awesome.

I always hate working empty brass into the mix because they know somewhere in that series their gun is going to malfunction.  With that method you can spring it on them pretty darn randomly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Used the FU Stick once again in a Carbine Course I taught last weekend. As usual, worked like a champ.

Students were using M4-variants for the most part, with 2 AK's and a Steyr AUG thrown in the mix. On the AK's, with the FU Stick I'm able to get behind the charging handle and retard the movement of the bolt, causing it to short stroke and malfunction.

With the M4's, the FU Stick mostly causes double feeds, stovepipe so, or a combination of the two.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Used the FU Stick once again in a Carbine Course I taught last weekend. As usual, worked like a champ.

Students were using M4-variants for the most part, with 2 AK's and a Steyr AUG thrown in the mix. On the AK's, with the FU Stick I'm able to get behind the charging handle and retard the movement of the bolt, causing it to short stroke and malfunction.

With the M4's, the FU Stick mostly causes double feeds, stovepipe so, or a combination of the two.
View Quote

Was wondering how that would work with an AK. I'm gonna have to build one :)
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I first saw the FU stick at 1st SOTG CQB course in the mid 90's. The following video link is what we've come up with. Been using it for 15 years. Works great.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p4lM_qXOuvk
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#26]
For AK use- would a short stick of 3/4 PVC with a Tee at the end glued on work?

I think that's what I'm going to try. I usually have a piece of CPVC on the range for remedial reminders anyways ;)
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't want the "stick" to be too slick.  The back of an AK charging handle is usually convex and a slick surface on the end of the stick would cause it to ride out of the way.

After using the design of the one I made for over a year now, I wouldn't change a thing. Big enough to cover an ejection port without being overly obtrusive or unwieldy, non-marring, just flexible enough, small enough to hit mag releases and bolt catches/releases.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dummy rounds are a good one and I use it regularly, BUT it only practices a limited sort of malfunction:  failure to fire or a magazine not seated. With an AR, SPORTS takes care of both quite nicely.

But, what happens when you have a failure to eject/extract?  You can SPORTS all day long and won't fix the problem. The stick forces students to practice clearing the malfunctions that SPORTS won't fix.
View Quote

SPORTS lol

I love the stick idea.

I gotta try it out...

Can you post any video using it in action?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting idea. Now I have to find a shooting buddy
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I will freely admit to calling it a SPORTS drill, although that isn't exactly how I run it nowadays. SPORTS as a phrase is a holdover to my years in the Corps.

Slap the mag. As long as the bolt is in the forward position (which it is because you just pulled the trigger and got a "click", otherwise we'd be doing a different clearance procedure) slapping the base of the magazine will cause no issues. When reloading I do not teach to slap the magazine, but instead teach the INSERT-TUG DOWN method. With the bolt locked to the rear, slapping the magazine can cause rounds to pop out of the top of the mag, especially with an older, worn out mag.

Roll the rifle over with the ejection port down

Rack vigorously once and release

Re-engage if appropriate

Of course, that isn't the exact procedure with every rifle as some are a bit different. On an AK, for instance, I teach to grab the mag and give it a quick jerk in the same motion you use when inserting the mag and locking it in.

MP0117, I'll see what I can do about shooting some vids using the FU Stick in different ways.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I will freely admit to calling it a SPORTS drill, although that isn't exactly how I run it nowadays. SPORTS as a phrase is a holdover to my years in the Corps.

Slap the mag. As long as the bolt is in the forward position (which it is because you just pulled the trigger and got a "click", otherwise we'd be doing a different clearance procedure) slapping the base of the magazine will cause no issues. When reloading I do not teach to slap the magazine, but instead teach the INSERT-TUG DOWN method. With the bolt locked to the rear, slapping the magazine can cause rounds to pop out of the top of the mag, especially with an older, worn out mag.

Roll the rifle over with the ejection port down

Rack vigorously once and release

Re-engage if appropriate

Of course, that isn't the exact procedure with every rifle as some are a bit different. On an AK, for instance, I teach to grab the mag and give it a quick jerk in the same motion you use when inserting the mag and locking it in.

MP0117, I'll see what I can do about shooting some vids using the FU Stick in different ways.
View Quote

I wanna take one of your classes sometime.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#33]
The AK is a tough bird to break. With the PAW we interdict the hammer through the slot that the CH runs in. So we end up with a failure to fire. The PAW doesn't carry enough rigidity to stop the CH from cycling rearward.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#34]
My FU Stick is rigid enough that, when held firmly behind the charging handle of an AK, it will cause the AK to short cycle and malfunction.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Load dummy rounds or blanks randomly into student's mags. I find this is the best way, without having to follow students around or jam shit into their rifles.
View Quote

Short mags, always.  Induce reloads.  Students never get full mags.

Dummy rounds.  You never reload your own mags, partner up and reload for your buddy.  Never the first or last round.  You and your buddy each a set number of dummy rounds.  

Non-paying students don't get to leave with my dummy rounds.  Paying customers get a goodie bag with a few thrown in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I disagree on SPORTS.

It tries to be both immediate action and remedial action.

TRB and if that no-goes, go to a rip drill.  A TRB with a roll to the port side down will cure the majority of stoppages.

And there should be no slap but a push-pull and you can't do the 'O' in the dark either.
View Quote

The last part turns into a response as well.  I've seen students rip a round off at... nothing.  

It's memorization, rote, the lowest form of learning.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One of the regular things that I teach with carbines (or any firearm for that matter) is clearing malfunctions. The normal procedure is that I show the students how it is done step-by-step, then I do it all the way through "live" so they can see it. Then I have the students do it, first step-by-step with me calling out the steps, then have them go all the way through on their own when commanded. We go through several iterations until all the students have it down pat. Fairly standard instructional method, and it works.

The problem is, the students get it just fine while that is the current training drill, but later in the day you'll see a student have a "real" malfunction and they vapor lock. Oftentimes, myself or one of the other Instructors have to verbally walk them through clearing it.

I kept thinking to myself, "It would be great if I could induce malfunctions randomly throughout the day, when students weren't concentrating on malfunctions."

Enter the FU Stick. I took a very sturdy yardstick I found at Home Depot, over twice as thick as a regular yardstick. I wrapped the yardstick in black Gorilla tape. While students are shooting drills, such as Use of Cover, one of the Instructors will cover the ejection port of their carbine with the end of the FU Stick, inducing a malfunction. Most of the malfunctions are double-feeds or stovepipes.

So far the FU Stick has worked like a champ, but I have only used it on AR variants in .223/5.56. Not sure how well it will work on carbines with a more vigorous ejection than the AR.
View Quote

Been using the "malfunction stick" for about 20 years....it works.
Video 1
Video 2

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#38]
The PAW has kicked my ass sooooo many times.

Wait till Curt at Lighthorse Tactical starts smacking you with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top