Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 9:27:10 PM EDT
Whats everyones thoughts on using a Battery Assist Device in a carbine course?  I have heard problems with these such as the bolt not locking to the rear.  

I'm leaning towards taking it off the spare AR I have in case the main carbine goes down
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
i feel like it would depend on the opinion of the instructor and whether it runs efficiently and reliably on your rifle. Personally it works for me and I use it and its reliable on my setup, and if the course instructor didn't have an issue with it I would continue using it unless it conflicted with the course material. Train how you fight right? Nobody is issuing me a rifle, I've only got my own so it makes sense to train with it on. If you are .mil or leo and could be handed someone else's rifle without one then you would be less effective than if you trained without one, but in a civilian capacity I would keep it if you use it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had one cause a malfunction. They incredibly increase reload speed and malfunction clearance. They add the ability to never remove your strong hand from your firing grip, which is a major advantage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Been running a BAD lever for a few years now. I've never had any sort of malfunction with it, BUT I do see it as being something the uninitiated could get their panties in a twist about. Mainly because it is different and looks like it might maybe be unsafe if some dope with poor trigger awareness has one. Give it time I'm sure instructors flipped out about Glocks not having safeties for a few years too

It's pretty much the best thing to ever happen to reloads
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
i have used it in classes, the only issue i have ever run into with it....is that it is much easier to charge the gun with it on, so laying the fire arm down or letting it hang, it has a chance of getting banged around and charging
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If you leave it on your primary make sure you are trained with it and it's second nature with your manual of arms. I took a course with Costa and took it off after day one for the simple reason that I had not trained with it enough and it was a distraction to my training as I would sometimes trip up with using it or not using it.  Costa did not have a problem with guys running them but did not adjust his blocks of instruction during tactical/admin reloads and malfunctions to accommodate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have them on my rifles but don't use them when I teach. If a student has one then I'll show him how it works and other students as well if they are interested. Most are. I try to be flexible with my instruction because different people have different set ups and learn differently. It's no worse than when someone shows up with an AK.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally feel it develops a bad habit of dropping the bolt instead of running the charging handle.  What happens if for whatever reason you have a rifle in your hands that doesn't have a BAD lever?  Mag runs dry, bolt is locked to the rear and you insert a fresh mag and go to drop the bolt because that's how you've conditioned yourself to run the rifle.  Now you go reaching for that lever and it's not there.  I like keeping the core controls on the rifle original in case you don't have your rifle for some reason.  Additionally, what if you have to transition to shooting left handed and your mag runs dry?  You've conditioned yourself to drop the bolt with your right index finger.  If you train to run the charging handle on a reload it becomes second nature on a support side reload.  That's why I don't understand these side charging ARs.  You're just moving the charging handle forward a few inches, and now apparently that's the fastest way to charge the rifle?  Why weren't you just using the non-reciprocating charging handle that was already there??  Seems like a solution to a non-existent problem.    

Also, from pictures it looks like it would protrude right where I rest my trigger finger.  

I just finished my second 2 day AR class yesterday and I'll say this.  The instructor that taught both of the classes loathes the BAD lever.  Whether or not the BAD lever was at fault or not, it sure seems that malfunctions were more prevalent on rifles with BAD levers.  

There's my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Just finished a 2 day class.

The instructor warned that the people usimg the bad levers prolly wouldnt like them and he had seen them fail or cause malfs more than without bad lever

By the end of day one they had taken theirs off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the obsession with shaving tenths of seconds from this or that manipulation, especially through the use of after market hardware, is misguided at best and a fools errand at worst, particularly when it adds its own "baggage" to the equation. Edit: I am not referring specifically to the BAD. I don't know if it works as advertised or not, or whether it carries with it any baggage. Just stating my opinion in general.

I have no commercial or personal relationship with Paul B. of Bravo Company but I would invite everyone to review the video trailer he posted in his IP forum featuring JD Potynsky.

I thought I was going to be underwhelmed by yet another ad from yet another "rock star instructor" back from the sandbox lending his name to some gear or promoting courses. It kind of is but something JD stated near the end of the video struck me as a HUGE breath of fresh air in the stale aftermath of the GWOT as it pertains to the training industry.

He refers to it as "whittling it down".

I may not have written it verbatim but you'll get the idea. And IMNSHO, it applies not only to "form", but to aftermarket hardware and accessories as well.

I am REALY looking forward to attending one of his classes some day.

"Guns, shooting, tactics, CQB, (etc.) is just a form, but when I really whittle it down, it's decision making and dealing with stress and fear and able to make the right decision in a complex, chaotic situation, a decision that most often, is between bad and worse. There is no right answer."

Edit: This is the essence and core of a lethal threat encounter / engagement. Not iso vs. weaver, chicken wing vs. c-clamp, 9mm vs. 45ACP, HOT vs. slide stop, or any of the other excruciatingly exhausting and endless debates of which we are all too familiar.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/251290_New_American_Gunfighter_short_film_series_by_BCM.html
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whats everyones thoughts on using a Battery Assist Device in a carbine course?  I have heard problems with these such as the bolt not locking to the rear.  

I'm leaning towards taking it off the spare AR I have in case the main carbine goes down
View Quote

Loved my bad levers but they caused the exact issue your describe...so i had to remove them.  Aside from that issue they were awesome.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I use them and I've trained people on them.

My duty gun has approx 800 rounds through it since I installed it and not a single malfunction.

IMHO it offers some speed advantages for me with no negatives.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 rifles with BAD levers, in total I've probably put 25000 rounds through a gun with them installed, so I am very familiar with them and consider them a nice add on to a rifle once you train on them and get use to using them under stress.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought first one to see if the hype was worth it.

Now all 8 of my ARs have them.  

Have had zero problems despite easily 5k rounds and 4 separate carbine courses.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I took a rifle course over the summer and my instructor mentioned that my BAD lever may cause issues but I've never had any serious malfunctions with it. I have noticed that some "wobble" occasionally but it's nothing that some blue loctite won't fix.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've never had one cause a malfunction. They incredibly increase reload speed and malfunction clearance. They add the ability to never remove your strong hand from your firing grip, which is a major advantage.
View Quote

I've had problems on two rifles with no lock on empty. If they weighed less, or came with a stronger spring for the bolt release I'd be more enthusiastic about them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've had problems on two rifles with no lock on empty. If they weighed less, or came with a stronger spring for the bolt release I'd be more enthusiastic about them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The slight gram or two more that a BAD weighs is not going to overcome the magazine spring. You do realize that the spring can lift 30 rounds of 556 fast enough to keep up with the rifle cycling, and you think that the 4 ounce BAD lever is what is causing a problem?

More likely the magazine springs you had in those particular mags were going bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The slight gram or two more that a BAD weighs is not going to overcome the magazine spring. You do realize that the spring can lift 30 rounds of 556 fast enough to keep up with the rifle cycling, and you think that the 4 ounce BAD lever is what is causing a problem?

More likely the magazine springs you had in those particular mags were going bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK. I guess brand-new mags are the problem, but it magically disappears when I take the BAD levers off.
It's a common problem with them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you're correct in your assessment, and there isn't something unrelated to the BAD causing the malfunctions in Vault_Boy's rifle, then doesn't that somewhat reinforce the point about after market hardware and "baggage" in that an otherwise functional rifle with magazines and their springs at "X" number of cycles is now more "sensitive" with a BAD installed?

I'm still not inferring that the BAD is "bad" never having used one myself but if mag spring life cycle is a variable, then those of you choosing to use it need to consider a shorter mag spring life cycle and more frequent mag spring replacement.

My point put another way is that "there is no free lunch".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're correct in your assessment, and there isn't something unrelated to the BAD causing the malfunctions in Vault_Boy's rifle, then doesn't that somewhat reinforce the point about after market hardware and "baggage" in that an otherwise functional rifle with magazines and their springs at "X" number of cycles is now more "sensitive" with a BAD installed?

I'm still not inferring that the BAD is "bad" never having used one myself but if mag spring life cycle is a variable, then those of you choosing to use it need to consider a shorter mag spring life cycle and more frequent mag spring replacement.

My point put another way is that "there is no free lunch".

I'm not a hater, I bought 6 of them when they came out because the idea is great, and they cost like $15. Unfortunately, they do cause problems in some rifles that have no problems when they are not installed.
All I'm going to say.

Also: Although I do have a shit-ton of mags, some early 60's (but with new springs & followers) every mag I used with the BAD levers were either new (as in fresh out of the wrapper) Pmags, or Lancers.
So, whatever. Awesome concept, if it works for you, kickass. If it doesn't, well, BFD. They're cheap. I pulled them off and gave most of them away after the repeated, directly attributable problems induced by them on previously (and currently) reliable rifles.

BTW, Tony. I'll send you one or two gratis and you can try them out for yourself if you'd like. They are great if they work, if they don't, they are a cheap, removable malfunction inducer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I have no experience with a BAD lever first hand. I do know that it has caused malfunctions, malfunctions that would not have happened if the BAD lever was not present. I also know some people swear by them and have never had an issue with one.

My thoughts on it are simple and straightforward: I don't want to add anything to my rifle that could in one way or another affect it's reliability.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I skimmed the above answers so I apoligize if already covered.  Bad Lever failures could occur from riding the trigger finger on the lever when out of the trigger guard.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never had problems with the bolt not locking back, but I have had problems with the bolt releasing if I bump the gun. This is with the magpul BAD lever. I've also used several of the Phase 5 EBVR levers that don't have this issue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Never had a problem with both of mine.  Makes the one arm double feed drill much easier.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I was an early adopter of the BAD, because I liked the advantages it gave clearing a double-feed. Not that I had any guns that experienced this failure frequently, unless purposely induced for training.

None of my ARs experienced ANY issues with using the BAD.( Including .22lr, 9mm suppressed SBR's)

However, I have seen ARs malfunction when using the BAD as well, on two occassions I was tasked by the owners of the guns to figure out why. Both times it was a installation issue on poorly made bolt catches. Both guns were home builds with unknown cheap LPKs. I was able to "fix" both guns by replacing the bolt catch.

That said, it is not for everybody, but I like them and will continue to use them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to stress that if you use a BAD on your go-to rifle you should install one on every one of your AR's. I've been in the heat of things and went looking for a BAD that isn't there.....
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't have one, but if you don't have problems, don't worry about it.

Plus, there's something to be said for running your gun as you have it configured.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Completely agree.  Never had any issues on my work or personal rifles or anyone in any training.  If you train with it and learn to use it it drastically lowers your times and gets the gun "up" faster.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I had one on my BCM and I liked it, no problems, but took it off just for continuity with my DPMS G2 7.62 gun which I don't believe has any options for a BAD Lever type device.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Used one through two week long courses without an issue.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank you but I just don't see the need for one even if it was proven to work flawlessly with every AR15 ever manufactured.

I'm not LE or .mil so in my civilian context, with a 20 round magazine (I prefer 20's), I really don't even foresee a speed reload in my future let alone the need for increasing the speed of my speed reload because I don't suffer from Red Dawn Complex or believe in the likelihood of a zombie apocalypse or U.N. troops "invading" America. Edit: And last I heard ISIS doesn't have the naval assets to launch an amphibious invasion on the U.S. Atlantic coast.

And while I'll take everyone's word that they decrease the time required to perform an IAD, in the event of a Type III malfunction I think transitioning to my secondary and getting to cover would be my first order of business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, Tony. I'll send you one or two gratis and you can try them out for yourself if you'd like. They are great if they work, if they don't, they are a cheap, removable malfunction inducer.

Thank you but I just don't see the need for one even if it was proven to work flawlessly with every AR15 ever manufactured.

I'm not LE or .mil so in my civilian context, with a 20 round magazine (I prefer 20's), I really don't even foresee a speed reload in my future let alone the need for increasing the speed of my speed reload because I don't suffer from Red Dawn Complex or believe in the likelihood of a zombie apocalypse or U.N. troops "invading" America. Edit: And last I heard ISIS doesn't have the naval assets to launch an amphibious invasion on the U.S. Atlantic coast.

And while I'll take everyone's word that they decrease the time required to perform an IAD, in the event of a Type III malfunction I think transitioning to my secondary and getting to cover would be my first order of business.

Odd attitude for a training forum moderator.  So if I work on carbine proficiency, I suffer from "Red Dawn Complex?"
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The point I was attempting to make is that in my civilian context, shaving tenths of seconds off of this or that manipulation through the use of aftermarket hardware or questionable TTP's, that one will quickly arrive at a point of diminishing returns given the limited time most civilians have for sustainment training.

Another way to frame it is obsessing over "insignificant increments" at the expense of so many other exigent issues that a civilian will likely face (e.g. H2H skills as taught by Steve Tarani and Southnarc).

But hey, if one has the time and money (for ammo), knock yourself out.

My attitude may well be odd, but it's been formed by observing with great dismay the influence the GWOT has brought to the private sector training industry in the decade since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd attitude for a training forum moderator.  So if I work on carbine proficiency, I suffer from "Red Dawn Complex?"

The point I was attempting to make is that in my civilian context, shaving tenths of seconds off of this or that manipulation through the use of aftermarket hardware or questionable TTP's, that one will quickly arrive at a point of diminishing returns given the limited time most civilians have for sustainment training.

Another way to frame it is obsessing over "insignificant increments" at the expense of so many other exigent issues that a civilian will likely face (e.g. H2H skills as taught by Steve Tarani and Southnarc).

But hey, if one has the time and money (for ammo), knock yourself out.

My attitude may well be odd, but it's been formed by observing with great dismay the influence the GWOT has brought to the private sector training industry in the decade since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

I thought about what you said and agree.  I'm not a user ofthe BAD lever, I was strictly speaking about the general practice of working on reloads.  While I was a Marine between '95 and '04, others have told me of the days when instructors sold "training" and didn't hawk gadgets non stop.  That being said, I'm still glad that people training despite say, being out of shape and not knowing a damned thing about BJJ (I am not one of these people).
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I know this is slightly old but whatever.

I have BAD levers on a few rifles. They do speed up your reload. I've had blazing fast reloads with it. That was in a competition setting. It serves that purpose and serves it well. If you train with it, it makes simple malfunction clearing faster as well.

As far as it causing malfunctions? What malfunctions are people experiencing with it? I'm not familiar with any having shot thousands of rounds through 3 different AR's with them, 2 in a very demanding competition setting.

Now I have had occasions when the bolt does not hold open in the last round. But let me say that it may have more to do with under powered Wolf ammo then the BAD levers. I would have to ask what ammo were people shooting that was causing all these malfunctions? And was it merely last round bolt hold open issues?

As far as it falling off, a drop of blue loctite and it shouldn't fall off. That seems like a no brainer...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have BAD levers on a few rifles. They do speed up your reload. I've had blazing fast reloads with it. That was in a competition setting. It serves that purpose and serves it well. If you train with it, it makes simple malfunction clearing faster as well.

As far as it causing malfunctions? What malfunctions are people experiencing with it? I'm not familiar with any having shot thousands of rounds through 3 different AR's with them, 2 in a very demanding competition setting.

Now I have had occasions when the bolt does not hold open in the last round. But let me say that it may have more to do with under powered Wolf ammo then the BAD levers. I would have to ask what ammo were people shooting that was causing all these malfunctions? And was it merely last round bolt hold open issues?

As far as it falling off, a drop of blue loctite and it shouldn't fall off. That seems like a no brainer...
View Quote

Most common issues seen with the BAD is random bolt hold open (when mag still has rounds) and failure to lock open on the last round. Rarely is it an ammo issue but instead is traced back to the bolt catch and bolt catch spring
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Most common issues seen with the BAD is random bolt hold open (when mag still has rounds) and failure to lock open on the last round. Rarely is it an ammo issue but instead is traced back to the bolt catch and bolt catch spring
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder with the bolt holding open is it a shooting position or something hitting the lever? A wild trigger finger?

As far as failure of the last round hold open. I've always looked at it as combo of the lever and the wolf in my own circumstances.

Interesting none the less.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wonder with the bolt holding open is it a shooting position or something hitting the lever? A wild trigger finger?
View Quote

It's the bolt catch carrying more weight than it was designed for which results in it moving during the cycle of operations.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's the bolt catch carrying more weight than it was designed for which results in it moving during the cycle of operations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see that. Also why it fails to hold open on the last round. Cool concept though, just need to know it's limits.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can see that. Also why it fails to hold open on the last round. Cool concept though, just need to know it's limits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll never understand this line of thinking.

So a magazine spring pushes up a follower and 30 rounds, but it can't push hard enough to overcome an empty magazine and follower pushing on a few more grams than normal bolt catch/bad lever?

I ain't no scientist, but that don't make any sense.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So a magazine spring pushes up a follower and 30 rounds, but it can't push hard enough to overcome an empty magazine and follower pushing on a few more grams than normal bolt catch/bad lever?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I attribute it to added weight on the catch and underpowered wolf when it happens to mine. Doesn't always happen but often enough.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've only done 3 carbine classes, but it did nothing but help me... no malfunctions here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top