Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:26:09 PM EDT
Which stance is superior? I've heard to shoot with feet square to target, and I've heard to lead with your non dominant foot and your body angled to the target. Which stance is better for all around rifle shooting?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Mostly square with dominant foot slightly back.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If your wearing plates always square to the target when ever possible. A squared stance allows you to have a wider field of coverage vs a assoslets/moddified assoslete stance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your wearing plates always square to the target when ever possible. A squared stance allows you to have a wider field of coverage vs a assoslets/moddified assoslete stance.
View Quote

IF you're only wearing front & back plates.  If you have side plates, then shoot like a normal person.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Most normal people face the target head on, bladeing is a thing of the past that lent itself to old style non-dynamic shooting.

Get in  the same stance you'd get into if you were in a fist fight with some asshole. weight evenly distributed, one foot a little farther back, eyes focused on the threat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing wrong with a slight blade in your body.  As long you don't look like you're at Camp Perry you'll be fine
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
no stance is superior. Ask yourself, "in a REAL situation where i am using this rifle tactically, would i really just stand still and shoot?" no, shoot while moving. that is how you need to train.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
(Edited to add some photos from the inter-web)

The best stance is the one which allows you best mobility, best ability to control and drive the rifle, and best protection if you are wearing body armor. It should also be somewhat comfortable! You shouldn't feel strained standing in this position.
The toes square to target, stock collapsed all the way in, elbows glued to your rib cage stance is from the days when subguns were all the rage and gas masks had limited visibility so people would sometimes put them in the middle of their chest to essentially point shoot. IMHO it does not transfer well to a carbine (actually I don't like it for subguns either). While you maximize armor coverage, your mobility is so-so, but your recoil control and ability to drive the gun from target to target is poor. The guy below has no leverage for moving the gun side to side, up or down with that magwell grip.

The fully bladed stance is good for competitive (highpower/bullseye) shooting, or very long range when you need to maximize your stability but are not concerned about mobility or armor protection. I will occasionally use this if I am shooting my sniper rifle, offhand, with a sling, and I have to make an accurate shot - but I'm not making quick follow up shots, and my ability to track a target is diminished. Supporting a heavy rifle for more than a few seconds is tough without some structural support - which this stance will give you.

I think the best compromise is in-between. A good "fighting" stance, like you were going to box with someone. Slightly bladed, weight forward on the balls of your foot, arm extended further forward on the forend (NOT gripping the magwell). I like the support arm up a little bit (not chicken winging hanging out there to smack into stuff, but higher up on the gun, with the support hand wrapped around or at least on the side of the forend (not holding the VFG like a popsicle). With a standard M4 stock fully extended or maybe one notch in. You get pretty good protection, you have pretty good mobility, and your ability to manage recoil and "drive" the gun is maximized. I shoot this way for pretty much all my systems - carbine, pistol, shotgun - with the exception of maybe the sniper rifle. I would also add, your body size & shape matters. I am tall, thin with really long arms, so I may blade a bit more or reach farther forward with my support hand than others with shorter arms and stockier bodies.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
(Edited to add some photos from the inter-web)

The best stance is the one which allows you best mobility, best ability to control and drive the rifle, and best protection if you are wearing body armor. It should also be somewhat comfortable! You shouldn't feel strained standing in this position.

The toes square to target, stock collapsed all the way in, elbows glued to your rib cage stance is from the days when subguns were all the rage and gas masks had limited visibility so people would sometimes put them in the middle of their chest to essentially point shoot. IMHO it does not transfer well to a carbine (actually I don't like it for subguns either). While you maximize armor coverage, your mobility is so-so, but your recoil control and ability to drive the gun from target to target is poor. The guy below has no leverage for moving the gun side to side, up or down with that magwell grip.http://www.everycitizenasoldier.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/positions/.pond/S_UFP.jpg.w300h400.jpg

The fully bladed stance is good for competitive (highpower/bullseye) shooting, or very long range when you need to maximize your stability but are not concerned about mobility or armor protection. I will occasionally use this if I am shooting my sniper rifle, offhand, with a sling, and I have to make an accurate shot - but I'm not making quick follow up shots, and my ability to track a target is diminished. Supporting a heavy rifle for more than a few seconds is tough without some structural support - which this stance will give you.
http://www.jimstonefreelance.com/gun3.jpg

I think the best compromise is in-between. A good "fighting" stance, like you were going to box with someone. Slightly bladed, weight forward on the balls of your foot, arm extended further forward on the forend (NOT gripping the magwell). I like the support arm up a little bit (not chicken winging hanging out there to smack into stuff, but higher up on the gun, with the support hand wrapped around or at least on the side of the forend (not holding the VFG like a popsicle). With a standard M4 stock fully extended or maybe one notch in. You get pretty good protection, you have pretty good mobility, and your ability to manage recoil and "drive" the gun is maximized. I shoot this way for pretty much all my systems - carbine, pistol, shotgun - with the exception of maybe the sniper rifle. I would also add, your body size & shape matters. I am tall, thin with really long arms, so I may blade a bit more or reach farther forward with my support hand than others with shorter arms and stockier bodies.  
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/tacticalyellowvisor/20120121%20Defoor%20Carbine/DSCN0031.jpg

View Quote

Solid post DakotaLawDog, very invormative. I also shoot with the latter position and am very comfortable shooting this way with rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mostly square with dominant foot slightly back.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean "isosceles/modified isosceles?"
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imm going to try assocolese
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6LGovgtrI&feature=youtu.be

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6LGovgtrI&feature=youtu.be

View Quote

That is a great video above.   I like he talks about it, and shows it with the plumb.  The center of gravity is the key.  

When you get more advanced, you tend to focus on your upper body mechanics only.  Arms settles, head in cheek weld or scanning position, if you are running armor, shoulders squared to target etc.  Your legs and hips and feet well go every where to maintain stability or offset weight..  Think of leaning off of cover, one leg will kick out for counter balance. Which leads me into this

At an advanced level, if you have good stance, you are doing to 2 things wrong.  1) You are not moving or getting ready to move 2) and/or you are not using your cover or barricade efficiently.

So to add, I would suggest to the OP, the most superior stance for you, is the one that works for you.  Might be at the range in a line, might be hugging your wall in your house clearing the corner.   Things will change depending on the circumstances.  Keep an open mind, practice all of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Can anyone explain why, with so many SBRs out now, people are resting their faces up on the charging handle when they fire? Mr GunsNGear does this a lot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:56:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Nose to charging handle is a means of easily obtaining repeatable head positioning
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Can anyone explain why, with so many SBRs out now, people are resting their faces up on the charging handle when they fire? Mr GunsNGear does this a lot.
View Quote

Was taught in boot camp as a technique for iron sights, and still taught even when qualifying with infinite eye-relief reflex sights.  Old techniques never die, whether they're still needed or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top