Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2014 3:26:27 PM EDT
What are some good tactical drills for a Recce AR with a 3-9x scope that still force you to manipulate the rifle under stress?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
dupe
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot 3 gun, and the most challenging shots for me are not the supported 400m MGM flash targets, but the offhand shots that are out of my comfort zone... 65m head shot (USPSA target) and 175 -200m Pepper popper sized steel...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a good place to start reading. I'd go through and read some of the AAR's along with some of the stickies with drills you can work on.

Rifle Training Forum

As another poster suggested, I'd ask around in your HTF to see if there are any local carbine/ 3gun matches in your area and start competing in those. It's another facet of training I use along with taking at least two Carbine/Pistol classes a year.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a timer, 6 shots 10 secs. 2 standing, 2 kneeling, 2 prone. Start at 50 meters working your way back until you can't place good hits on target steel or otherwise.  To add your manipulation in use 3x standing and kneeling then shift to 9x after you transition to the prone.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I developed the TCC as a modification of the old FAMS Tactical Pistol Course. I wanted a quick course that I could run my carbine students through to gauge their progress, as well as having a course of fire that folks could use on their own to gauge their skill level and progess.

No, this course does not gauge all the myriad of skills that I feel you should have to be a competent Operator of the Carbine, stuff like shooting and moving, positions other than standing, use of cover, etc. It does involve a firm grasp of the fundamentals, however. It is a quick and easy COF to run, and if you have a timer with a delay on it, you can run yourself through the course.

Here is the course of fire:

Distance: 7 yards
Target: IDPA silhouette with a 3"x5" card stapled to the center of the head. You could also use a similar sized piece of cardboard with an 8" paper plate stapled to the chest and the 3"x5" for the head.
Number of targets: 3. The leftmost target is the Primary target. Unless specified otherwise, all drills are shot on the Primary target.
Rounds: 35 carbine, 5 pistol
Scoring: Anything in the 8" circle or the 3"x5" card is 5 points. Anything outside the circle or card, but on the silhouette, is 2 points (-3 points). A Miss is 0 points (-5 points). Shooter DOES NOT get the benefit of the doubt. Rounds on the line go to the lower score.
Ranking: A perfect 200 points is Expert, 191-197 is Sharpshooter, 180-190 is Marksman. Anything under 180 points is a FAIL.

Positions:
1. Low Ready: Weapon in the pocket of the shoulder, aimed below the feet of the threat. For the purposes of this course, the weapon is aimed at the foot of the target stand.
2. High Ready: Weapon in the pocket of the shoulder, aimed high enough that you can still see the threat's hands. For the purposes of this course, the weapon is aimed at the bottom edge of the cardboard target.
3. Inside carry: Weapon is held against the body, pointing downward and across the body at an angle, with the muzzle on the outside of the leg.

With the exception of the third drill, all drills are shot twice. Each drill has a set time, but what is important is the total of the pair of drills. If a drill is 2 seconds, and it's repeated twice for a total of 4 seconds, it's the 4 second total that you're worried about. You could shoot the first drill in 2.5 seconds, as long as you shot the second drill in 1.5 seconds or less.

If you shoot a drill improperly, you fail the entire course. It's a failure, not a points deduction. If the drill calls for 6 shots, and you shoot 5 or 7, you fail the entire COF.

If you do not make the time limit for any stage, you fail the entire COF.

All drills must be shot with the weapon on safe. You cannot manipulate the safety until the timer goes off.

The last drill is a pair of transition drills. When you transition from the carbine to the handgun, if there is a round in the chamber of the carbine you MUST place the weapon on safe before letting it hang and going to the handgun. If you don't, it's a FAIL. If you set the carbine up to run empty prior to the transition, then you do not have to place the weapon on safe.

Emergency Reload: Weapon runs totally empty. Remove empty mag, insert loaded mag, chamber
Tactical Reload: A round in the chamber, unknown number of rounds in magazine. Drop magazine in the weapon (you do not have to retain), replace with a loaded magazine, you're done. No need to manipulate the safety, bolt or charging handle.

Stage 1: Head Shot
Low Ready
1 round on the Primary Target, Head Shot on the 3"x5" card
1 second
Repeat for a total time limit of 2 seconds

Stage 2: Double Tap
High Ready
2 rounds on the Primary Target
1 second
Repeat for a total time limit of 2 seconds

Stage 3: Control Recoil
High Ready
6 rounds
2 seconds
DO NOT REPEAT

Stage 4: Tactical Reload
High Ready
2 rounds on Primary Target
4 seconds
Fire 1 round, perform an Tactical Reload, fire a second round
Repeat for a total of 8 seconds

Stage 5: 2 Threats
High Ready
2 rounds: 1 on Primary Target, 1 on Secondary Target
1.65 seconds
You must shoot one drill while engaging left-right and the other while engaging right-left.
Repeat for a total of 3.30 seconds

Stage 6: 180 Degree Pivot
Back to targets, Inside Carry
3 rounds, 1 each on the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Targets
3 seconds
First drill you can choose to pivot left or right. On the second drill, you must pivot in the opposite direction. Targets may be engaged in any order.
Repeat for a total of 6 seconds

Stage 7: Emergency Reload
Remove the loaded magazine from the carbine, leave the round in the chamber, and insert an empty magazine
High Ready
2 rounds
5 seconds
Fire 1 round, go to a knee while performing an Emergency Reload, fire a second round from the kneeling
Repeat for a total of 10 seconds

Stage 8: Transitions
High Ready
5 rounds total, carbine and pistol
4.5 seconds
Each drill is a total of 5 rounds. For one drill, you will fire 3 rounds carbine and 2 rounds pistol, for the other you will shoot 2 rounds carbine and 3 pistol. You may shoot these drills in either order.
Fire 2/3 rounds from the carbine, transition to the handgun, and fire 2/3 rounds from the hangun, for a total of 5 rounds.
Repeat for a total of 9 seconds
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a simple and cheap drill. This is generally done with two men but could be done by yourself. Start with 5 numbered targets all at varying distances up to 100 yards and no less than 10 yards. If you are running this drill with your battle buddy start with your back turned to the targets. Your partner will then call out the target to fire upon and the position to fire from. For example "target 3, prone position" and you can also make things more difficult by having your partner call out shot placement and number of shots to fire. This can be done with multiple different rifles and tactical loadouts. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Run the Mod Navy Qual at 75-150 yards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top