BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I'm in the minority. I teach to look because sometimes students and professionals don't realize they are out of ammo. Stress is funny. It might seem slower but the average is faster when you TRB on what should be a reload, double feed or bolt over ride. Of course being the trigger whisperer is good too!

Again a method that's trained to proficiency is better than nothing.
View Quote

Very good points.  I am confused how SPORTS is old, slow, and outdated, but drop the mag, rack rack rack, reinsert the mag, rack, and somehow in all of this never looking at the rifle is faster...  guys, SPORTS is a glorified Tap, Rack, Bang.. with a quick check of the chamber thrown in for very good purpose.  That good purpose is making sure you don't turn a failure to eject into a double feed or worse.  SPORTS will clear more than half of the malfunctions you will have, a little more yet if you include dumping the chamber out while you have the bolt back, and you're back to firing.  It will not clear a failure to extract... but neither will TRB, and the latter will turn the failure to extract into something much more troublesome to clear.  

NONE of these is going to be worth a damn at close range.  In that case, hopefully you have a sidearm, or are close enough to apply a buttstroke to the head, or have a buddy in close support :)
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Very good points.  I am confused how SPORTS is old, slow, and outdated, but drop the mag, rack rack rack, reinsert the mag, rack, and somehow in all of this never looking at the rifle is faster...  guys, SPORTS is a glorified Tap, Rack, Bang.. with a quick check of the chamber thrown in for very good purpose.  That good purpose is making sure you don't turn a failure to eject into a double feed or worse.  SPORTS will clear more than half of the malfunctions you will have, a little more yet if you include dumping the chamber out while you have the bolt back, and you're back to firing.  It will not clear a failure to extract... but neither will TRB, and the latter will turn the failure to extract into something much more troublesome to clear.  

NONE of these is going to be worth a damn at close range.  In that case, hopefully you have a sidearm, or are close enough to apply a buttstroke to the head, or have a buddy in close support :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I'm in the minority. I teach to look because sometimes students and professionals don't realize they are out of ammo. Stress is funny. It might seem slower but the average is faster when you TRB on what should be a reload, double feed or bolt over ride. Of course being the trigger whisperer is good too!

Again a method that's trained to proficiency is better than nothing.

Sports is diagnostic. That's bad. It also has you fucking with the button that should not be.

And clearing a double feed isn't hard at all. My first time doing it in training took 13 seconds from malf to live round and that's including the failure to feed I had in the middle of reloading.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
So.. it's better to take corrective action with zero diagnosis and hope for the best?  Like the cases mentioned before, you might have simply shot more times than you think and your magazine is out.  How many times are you going to TRB the thing before you figure that out?  Yeah, ideally the bolt should be locked back and you'll feel it in the CH.. but what about those times when the magazine catch doesn't work?  You can't fix a problem without knowing what it is you are trying to fix, unless you want to rely upon blind luck.  Some form of a chamber check is necessary.  Sometimes it might slow you down by a split second, but those times when it is needed, it is REALLY needed.  

The FA part of the equation is a beaten horse, and I'm not going to reopen it.  But I use mine.  I HAVE had a couple of cases on a live fire where it made the difference too, and that was back when I was active Army, and using the "almighty" Colt.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Transition to handgun!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You will know that the TRB is not going to work at the R portion.  In the video below I had an empty shell in the mag and it did not feed.  Observe the process.  It's not rocket science.  If you see a bolt over, etc. then 3 kittens.  Yes a RTB without looking is the first step, then diagnostic.

http://tinyurl.com/n55yua4
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I love how on the TV shows the malfunctioning AR goes click click click

Is my version missing the auto trigger reset system?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Pop smoke

Show ass

Call air

ETA- tech forum not GD...

Disregard with apologies.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say that in my long history of shooting, 90% of stoppages required dropping the magazine to clear.  The others, you can assess and clear very quickly.  Whether or not this meets current tier 1 training requirements really doesn't matter to me.

The blown primer under the gas tube is the bitch of the day.    Better have a back up and covering fire.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]
For double feeds it's always been Rip, Work, Tap, Rack, Bang.
Rip old mag out
Work action to clear out rounds
Tap new mag in
Rack a round
Bang (if still applicable)
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:14:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Edit: I'll just stick with Seek cover.
View Quote

You weren't already in cover?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Transition to pistol and seek cover.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just a humble opinion, but.....
A couple of things I have learned over the years,
At the high probability of being called a heretic and burned at the interstake, I will say that looking into the ejection port is a bad thing to do, and only removes an available opening for whatever is fucking up the works to leave the action. I have had the opportunity to watch hundreds of people ( who thought they knew how to efficiently clear a malf. ) put into a black shoot house, only to find out what they knew about clearing malfunctions quickly went to shit, and helped put marks of shame on them..........and if they had been a really bad place, would have put their head on a stick.
Depending on the malf. you will need to take the magazine out..............However, you are going to want to tuck that magazine that you take out of the rifle somewhere on you...... if it still has ammunition in it.  Pass one up? Oh Shit..
And Always wear gloves, 'cause your fingers will need them on prom night...When you reach into a very hot place. and .chances are it will be to dislodge something........big if your lucky..small if your not.
But the first step?
Check to see if the magazine is properly seated.
As to what comes next........ I would suggest some good hands on training, and hours of practice..like your life might one day depend on it.
Good Luck,
CT
View Quote

So you poopoo one method and then fail to offer an alternative? Thanks for the help, chief.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This even though it's an edit.    

We used to get the tap rack bang  and if that didn't work it was then rip rack work load bang.    Now we're on to look and choose one of the two aforementioned.

OK, I be in an edit too, I'm another that read this quick as a pistol fix before responding.  Must be the training of instinctive reaction and not F'n around with slow details.

As of late we're be told to look QUICKLY.  Obviously night time that's going to be a non starter.

I've been doing the look assess for years.   Started with issue 1911's and shit mags.  All my 1911 stoppages were shit mags and failure to completely chamber.  They got a palm heel strike to the back of the slide for the final nudge to lock up. Decades later i got to doing the same with the department Glocks when they were not changing our mag springs out when they were worn.  I in short order began buying my own springs as necessary due to department neglect.

Oh, besides cover, you may want to communicate with your mates that your gun is down.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#14]
There's been arguments about being able to do it under stress, but here's what I've been taught.

Did you get a mushy trigger or a click instead of a bang?  These two make a world of difference.

Click means the bolt is in battery, and there isn't a round in the chamber/bad round in the chamber.  Tap, rack, bang.

If it's a mushy trigger, check the chamber for double feeds.

I've been able to do this consistently under stressful training conditions, but who's to say how you will react in real life situations.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top