Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
This technique allows me to really stiffen my arm up and lock the rifle to my upper body.
Even better if I have a vertical grip or sling/sling mount I can brace my support hand against.

But I have long arms and generally don't care about how I look.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#2]
For SBRs just run the stock out further.  Shooting RDS eye relief isn't much of a big deal so long as you are consistent in your presentation (so you find the dot everytime) you should be GTG.  You can also just "chicken wing" a little more with a shorter handguard.  Whatever works best for you, use that.  I find this is fatiguing for search and assess, especially with a 2# silencer on the end of a 14.5" barrel, but it also works really, really well for me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't do anything extra for me, and then I can't get to the wml.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I hold kinda similar but I always have.   I have long ass arms so it's never really locked out all the way.  Allows you support while moving laterally and additional stability.  Some guys like it, some guys don't, but ultimately master a technique before shitting all over it, and THEN decide if it has a place in your toolbox.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
with me it depends on the rifles

when using ARs with longer rails my arm is straight

on carbine sytems/shorter rails/Aks I use have a slight bent in my support arm

In fact last weekend at the range someone asked me if I am a Magpul rep lol

In their defense I was wearing a magpul shirt and a was using the "costa stance" lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#6]
yay on the outstretched arm, I get REALLY good recoil management out of it
Nay on the thumb over the rail. I find it distracting, and generally like running my thumb down the rail since that's where my light and laser buttons are anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WWII
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who comes up with this crap?

It's been in use since the Vietnam era (if not earlier) and works very well for rapid target transitions and muzzle control during fast semi or auto fire.

WWII

Since man first discovered gun powder.

Not a fan of this "style". YMMV
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#8]
It does work, Yay
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
years ago Colonel Jeff Cooper pioneered IPSC and the WEAVER stance.

everybody shot weaver

then Rob Leatham and Brian Enos started experimenting, and came up with the thumbs forward technique

the old guard scoffed !

but they kept winning

....and winning

...and winning

now 99.99% of IPSC shooters do it the Leathem/Enos way.

always experiment, . . .  always try to learn new things,  . . . even if they turn out to be bullshit,  the day you think you know it all is the day you become stagnant.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Do whatever is most comfortable and functional for you. Copying what works for someone else doesn't help as much as finding out what works for you and practicing it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the "technique" but not as exaggerated as that picture. I prefer a more relaxed type.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

raines,

you pictures aren't posting.

You need to host them from a site that allows embedding, and you need to add IMG tags

photobucket hosts pics and make posting them here easy

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
raines,

You need to host them from a site that allows embedding, and you need to add IMG tags

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

raines,

raines is a spammer

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thats actually me in the Pic shooting, so I'll throw in my two cents.

It works very well up close ( 1-25 yards), so well in fact I can run a .308 faster utilizing this technique than I can a 5.56 gun doing either a magwell grip of a broom handle grip on a vert grip, if you are trying to put multiple shots on a small target in quick succession and want to mitigate muzzle rise as much as possible.

It requires greater physical strength thatn most other techniques, because I am both pulling the gun into my shoulder tightly and muscling the business end of the gun down while firing and using all the other proper fundamentals of marksmanship which requires intense concentration.

I also believe lots of people give up on it too quickly due to the fact that like anything it requires time and effort to master. Folks love to hate on Costa but I bet you a months pay, which for me is well over 10000$ that costa would smoke your ass in close range marksmanship. Theres a reason All the for most instructors teach a variation of this technique. I too have shot at people using this and it worked out for me, im typing this message and they aren't.
View Quote

Is it just me or do you only have a buis on the rear... and not front.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#18]
It took practice but controlling the weapon like this has greatly improved my target transition and accuracy. It most certainly is not a new position either.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats actually me in the Pic shooting, so I'll throw in my two cents.

It works very well up close ( 1-25 yards), so well in fact I can run a .308 faster utilizing this technique than I can a 5.56 gun doing either a magwell grip of a broom handle grip on a vert grip, if you are trying to put multiple shots on a small target in quick succession and want to mitigate muzzle rise as much as possible.

It requires greater physical strength thatn most other techniques, because I am both pulling the gun into my shoulder tightly and muscling the business end of the gun down while firing and using all the other proper fundamentals of marksmanship which requires intense concentration.

I also believe lots of people give up on it too quickly due to the fact that like anything it requires time and effort to master. Folks love to hate on Costa but I bet you a months pay, which for me is well over 10000$ that costa would smoke your ass in close range marksmanship. Theres a reason All the for most instructors teach a variation of this technique. I too have shot at people using this and it worked out for me, im typing this message and they aren't.

It's just you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had great success with the thumbs forward technique.  

The poor chap in that pic would get his thumbnail ripped off by the slide catch notch if he were actually going to fire that 1911. Look closely.
I also have no problem with where people put their hands on the quad rail, it seems like a function of the size of the shooter and the length of the rail, personal preference and freedom.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The poor chap in that pic would get his thumbnail ripped off by the slide catch notch if he were actually going to fire that 1911. Look closely.
I also have no problem with where people put their hands on the quad rail, it seems like a function of the size of the shooter and the length of the rail, personal preference and freedom.

View Quote

Incorect my friend that ol chap knows what he's doing and does it quite well!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah...that "guy" is Rob Letham. I think he's shot a few times [sarcasm].
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Nay, doesn't work.

Tried it, too much cons outweighing any good.

Target acquisition was slow and painfully long to acquire. Very fatiguing from the low ready and during usage. But it did make smaller groups and allow for faster follow up shots. And it only works in a few positions. You're too exposed when using corners for cover though, and searching for threats or even reacting to one takes like forever to do.

In any fight, movement is key. Those of you telling us this is the only way and all of your shaming attempts at us not doing it, cool story and nice try.

In the end, use what works for you. This did not work well for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#25]
That guy in the OP's pic has it all.

Looks like he bought everything he saw in the last issue of Recoil.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought the style was dumb until I too the time to try it and really Get used to it. Now I use it. I like it.

I don't care about looks. Or the cool kids.

Some people will stick to the 1 process they know forever. They might do well with that 1 thing for a while but improvements will always leave them behind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Im alittle split on whether i like it or not.

I was taught by my father how to shoot and being a marine in the 90's he very traditional. (Very good marksman as well)
One day at the range while just having fun a tried this for kicks on my dads AR15 and ended up burning my thumb on th FSB.
He said it was my own fault for being a "Costa-Wanna-Be".
However, now that i have my own AR15 and experimenting with different shooting techniques i have noticed a slight difference with this position.
Shooting a more traditional way i have no problem with, but when shooting more rapidly my rifle raises slightly up and to the right.
Throwing my thumb over the top of my rail and moving my hand does calm down that movement.

Just throwing in my $.02 and experience with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I prefer elbow down relaxed C-clamp grip

C-clamp grip in SWAT
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top