Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Harv24:
I keep telling these guys I'm not that smart and can't take credit for this...Luckily you know better...

Nah.  You ARE a smart guy, Harv.  Just look at who you shoot with...
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By FMD:

For the record, the drill that the OP has labeled "Harv's Drill" is actually  called ElDiablo / The Devil's Drill or simply The Eighteen Drill*  as taught to Harv (and BulletcatchR, photoman, and me) by Greg "Sully" Sullivan of The Defensive Edge.

Wait, does he teach Sistema too? Or am I thinking of a different Sully/Defensive Edge?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Aimless:
we tried this today, however we shot standing kneeling then reload and standing offside since going prone would have resulted in our disappearing out of sight in a puff of snow.

C'mon, the NY guys can't be that big of wimps. The WI crew has to train in the snow 9 months out of the year.

Tips:

If your 6004 gets clogged with snow, reholstering a warm weapon turns that snow to ice, rendering your pistol thoroughly stuck.

You can shoot the snow/ice plug out of the end of your Phantom FH.

If one's dressed appropriately, playing in the snow with guns is fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]

we tried this today, however we shot standing kneeling then reload and standing offside since going prone would have resulted in our disappearing out of sight in a puff of snow. I'm rusty as hell from many months without shooting and took something like 24 seconds-course doing the reload from a coat pocket instead of a harness did not speed things up.

Yeah, a winter HARV drill, standing from low ready, 6 shots strong side @ ~20 yds, 6 shots kneeling, stand/reload, 6 shots from your "support" side. Lots of fun in sub20 F + wind. On the bright side, we usually have the range to ourselves all winter long

I was able to get the 18 shots all on target in 18 seconds using a 20" A4 with irons. The support side shots were a "wee" bit slower than the strong side. We only did the drill a couple times before moving on to other fun stuff which didn't entail wading through snowbanks. I'll be curious to see how fast I can do it with my Aimpoint/carbine under "ideal" conditions. Fun drill.

Actually Aimless, I was just happy you didn't shoot any of the range furniture
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Some day i'll be as good as Harv is
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]

we tried this today, however we shot standing kneeling then reload and standing offside since going prone would have resulted in our disappearing out of sight in a puff of snow.

C'mon, the NY guys can't be that big of wimps. The WI crew has to train in the snow 9 months out of the year.

Tips:

If your 6004 gets clogged with snow, reholstering a warm weapon turns that snow to ice, rendering your pistol thoroughly stuck.

Good info!  It reminds me of that line from the movie Gladiator, "The frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick in the sheath"
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
^
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
tag as a reminder to myself to get out there and go through this (and other) drills again soon.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By cowboy7242001:
gotta try those.

Don't forget to post your results.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#14]
^
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
^
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Now I can't wait to go to my cabin...I'm looking at building myself a 'private' range ...
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By glenn_r:
tag as a reminder to myself to get out there and go through this (and other) drills again soon.

QFT (and to bump this so my training partners will force me to come with).
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By glenn_r:

QFT (and to bump this so my training partners will force me to come with).

We have sooo got to get together and do some drills, preferably before the may class.

I just know Sully is going to make us do that damn transition drill and I am way out of shape for that thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Back up there before archive oblivion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 9:55:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Remman] [#21]

These are all ARFCOM members at Sully's training here in IL.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 11:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawgleg44] [#22]
We host a class with Bruce Gray every spring here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, and this time we added on a Carbine class with Jerry Jones.  Jerry taught this drill, calling it the 18 drill.  I believe he said it was originally developed by a SEAL in CA, but I may not be remembering that correctly.  I forgot which class Jerry took where he was shown it, too.

Jerry had us start from a slung rifle, and I was reloading from a Blackhawk thigh pouch.  We also loaded only six in each mag, so we ran to bolt lock before each reload.  The first time I shot it, I was in the 17's, but I fumbled with the mag pouch.  When Jerry told me my time, I told him I thought my mag fumble f***ed me.  He laughed and said "Me too!"  The second time was a 14.8.  All A's on an IPSC target.

Just to test the waters, we only had a one day carbine class, which is difficult.  We're talking now to see if we want to do a 2 or 3 day class this spring.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Great drill! I ran it at an 11.27, just beat out by a fellow shooter with a 10.91 We even threw in bilateral shooting from prone to spice it up a bit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By notarpole:
Great drill! I ran it at an 11.27, just beat out by a fellow shooter with a 10.91 We even threw in bilateral shooting from prone to spice it up a bit.

One would think that these  up and coming whippersnappers could beat out us older guys, but not quite yet!  

Actually, we did bilateral transfer from kneeling with the pistol version of the harv drill rather than going prone. I include 2 mag changes with the pistol version. The range was also closer for pistol.

Doing the whole drill support side is also highly recommended, including doing all reloads support side. All sorts of variations you can toss in to make it interesting.

Link Posted: 10/3/2009 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Molon:

Tips:

Good info!  It reminds me of that line from the movie Gladiator, "The frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick in the sheath"

Also, rolling around in wet sand with a 6004 on your thigh doesn't work well, either.  You reholster, then the strap gets stuck shut!  I found this out in the same class with Jerry Jones, too.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 10:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dtap] [#26]
Cheap Walmart paper plates make good substitutes for IDPA body shots. Most are 9" and I haven't found any 8" to duplicate.
Just an idea.
Link Posted: 5/10/2010 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Great post, I will shoot it and post results.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Viking Tactics has a whole bunch of drills posted on yotube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I think Tony F authored the post, but I could be wrong. It was a really slick way to get free IDPA targets with very little work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:16:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FritzTKatt] [#30]
Not enough drills posted in this sub any more. Figure why not add some here.

Try spacing your targets out more. Set two papers at 25yds, at least 10 yards apart, better if you can get 15+. If you have small steel that would also work.

Do a box drill on them, two, two, one, one. Complicate it by down-loading, even more by having your buddy down-load for you. Spread some real hatred by mixing in some empty cases to jam your weapon up real good.

Make it more dynamic by putting one at 10yds and one at 50yds. Whatever you can fit on the range. Spray some fault lines on one target as a hard-cover.

With the appropriate facility, throw some steel at 200 for a finale. Finish the box, and force a position change or use of a barricade to hit the far steel.

Bring the targets in to emphasize speed, or put up more to use with the pistol. I'm a fan of pistol/shotgun targets at 10-25yds, rifle at 25+. Run the far targets with rifle, then transition to pistol for the close ones.

We've played tueller. That's really tough when your buddy gets to slug you in the arm for not getting the shots off fast enough. Also played assemble the rifle. I forget what shootout it was where one of them brought a smg to the party, but had it broken down in a toolbag or waiters cart whatever. Get the rounds off before your buddy can snap together an AR, insert a mag, and rack it. Adjust distance/rounds as necessary to make it competitive for you and keep it fun.

Don't forget to practice some high-power shooting too. It's not tactical, but if all you do is tactical, it will help round you out. Especially the kneeling. Very useful if you're a hunter.

ETA: I'm known to mix in a 380 with a mag of 9mm, almost guaranteed stove pipe or fail to feed. Do it at your own risk.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top