Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2017 12:11:00 PM EDT
I'm about to sign up for rogers. Wanted any feedback or advice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Been twice, you will be a better shooter when finished, work on your weakhand shooting.
I've stayed at the Best Western and the bunkhouse, not sure where I'd stay in future.

info
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much for that information. NOT taking the carbine class was priceless. I was all set up for that but after your insight I see that would be 100% counter productive.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I may have missed it but what holster did you take? Im thinking of a safariland with ALS only. I have a level 3 with als and sls but thinking that is going to be an anchor during class. I can get conditioned to exact holsters after I imprint the Rogers technique by itself.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
IM sent
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By six:
I'm about to sign up for rogers. Wanted any feedback or advice.
View Quote
I've only been once, but I'm an "Advance" graduate and I received good advice from my friend "Super" Dave Harrington.  I will share his advice by reiterating with what has already been posted...work on single handed shooting (support hand & strong hand) and DON'T take take the additional carbine/shotgun training offered...it's just too much to cram into a week.  

Another thing that will help out is to learn what to expect from the targets.  I'd start here: Rogers Shooting School Test #1
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for info and that video, Mark Grey. I'm sure we know each other. I have spent some time with Green Ops. Working with you guys has gotten me to a new level.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By six:
Thanks for info and that video, Mark Grey. I'm sure we know each other. I have spent some time with Green Ops. Working with you guys has gotten me to a new level.
View Quote
No problems.  Glad to hear we were able to help you get to a new level.  Keep training!
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot 100 on it. You'll find your weaknesses whether it be quick target acquisition from a draw, strong hand shooting/reloading, support hand shooting/reloading, etc. It is a very fun test and you are your own limitation.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 2:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLW] [#9]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:
I shot 100 on it. You'll find your weaknesses whether it be quick target acquisition from a draw, strong hand shooting/reloading, support hand shooting/reloading, etc. It is a very fun test and you are your own limitation.
View Quote
Did you hit 100 of the 125 plates, or are you saying that you shot 100% on the test?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I had always wanted to go but travel, lodging and cost was to prohibitive and my agency would not cover it. A few months after retiring a friend had a connect to a Rogers target system that I did not know existed about an hour from my house a "off the public grid" range in the desert. Of course Rogers was not there to conduct training there was a guy that ran the system and attempted to demo the stages.

$500 for two days. I did it to see what all the talk has been about and to take the test. I shot 116/125 on the day one test but couldn't beat it later. Once i get into 'I have to beat that" mode, I push in areas I shouldn't and could not do better. Used my cop patrol duty belt and gun which at the time of my retirement was a STI Maurader, Safariland ALS, X300 and Safariland open top mag pouch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JLW:

Did you hit 100 of the 125 plates, or are you saying that you shot 100% on the test?
View Quote
hit 100/125
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been there 3 times, 2008, 2015, 2017.  I was really new to that type of shooting in 2008 and had not pulled a trigger on a handgun in the previous 2 years prior due to being stationed on Okinawa during that time frame.  I attended while home in the States for 30 days on leave.  I paid for all of it out of my pocket and attended with my brother (full time LE).  I shot a Sig 226 in .40 and did the optional carbine course also.  I shot a basic rating that trip with handgun and intermediate on the carbine.   I learned a lot that week and got considerably better.  The .40 in DA/SA was workout for sure and poor choice of firearm for that course while brother shot a G17 and seemed to enjoy his training a lot more.  I was def worn out at the end of the week.  85 out of 125 was my best score for the handgun and 105/125 with carbine.

Go! it is worth it! Especially to train directly with Bill Rogers and Ronny Dodd who is top notch also.  They will not be there forever.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I stayed in the lodge and did the meal plan each time.  I've learned from the others in the lodge and hand a great time getting to know the other classmates.   The instructors are top notch and watching Bill shoot the drills is amazing.  He makes it look easy.  
Rogers is expensive but I have used my trips as a measurement of my training level.  Plan your trip accordingly by spacing out the cost and go with buddies as they made it even better during the course and after getting back and going to the range to train.   As I said, skip the extra and focus on the the handgun portion.  The lodge and food are worth the money and learn from the others.  
Shoot what you are most comfortable with.  By the end of the week and 3000 rounds plus, that gun will be the measure for future pistols. I used safariland 6380's each time and open top galco pouches.  Take lots of mags as I took 23 for the G34 and would not have to load until lunch and would reload them all after dinner to prep for the next day.  I carried my ammo in a small green tool bag with a large zipper as it was easy to carry, top off with ammo, and it was different from other's ammo.  I would top it off from the ammo cans I had in my vehicle.  I shot CCI Blazer 124 grn aluminum ammo both trips with the G34 and it worked great and met their ammo specs.  
The first few days will seem impossible to pass even a basic rating and your confidence will be rocked for sure.  But hold on and it will click as you get faster and learn from watching other faster / better shooters.  The top shooters in the classes are fun to watch  I met Dave Harrington on my first trip as I did not know who he was.  I thought he was a pro wrestler or something of that sort!  He shot the lights out with a single stack 1911 and carried his ammo loose in a yellow Dollar General sack!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top