Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2016 9:55:54 AM EDT
I damaged my hand in my 20's (don't go water skiing at 3AM. Shit will go wrong). After 6 surgeries, a massive infection that nearly cost me my hand and a crap load of money, I have all my fingers, but one of them has the joints fused. I've managed to shoot fairly regularly since then, but recently decided to up my game a bit - instead of shooting a box of ammo during a range trip, I loaded up 3 boxes and went to town with a G19.
I am right handed.
I am right eye dominant.
I can't shoot for shit with my left hand (training issue, I'm sure).
Any ways, after about 100 rounds, it got to the point that I had to quit the range session. I endured and finished, but damnit, it sucked.

Any recommendations? I'm at the point of going to get the damn finger amputated at the first knuckle. I'm tired of bumping, burning and scratching it on stuff. Try tuning a carb on a R22 with that! The farm will go to shit for a while, but at least I'll be able to shoot normally again.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Start shooting lefty.  Get an artificial finger joint installed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start shooting lefty.  Get an artificial finger joint installed.
View Quote

I looked into the artificial joints when I tried to enlist in 2002. The army dr told me they are too fragile for shooting, etc...
I'll keep trying to go lefty until I can get this sumbitch cut off.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
If you experiences fatigue you might want to first start with some physical therapy and strengthening, maybe some resistance band exercises? (my friends with hand injuries had to do them). Enventaully you should eb able to overcome the lack of finger usage. One thing that might help is to have something to bring the gap between your usable fingers. Try it out with something attached or between to your fingers. If it works you might want to look into having it made into the grip.... think XXL finger grove where you no longer have a finger.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you experiences fatigue you might want to first start with some physical therapy and strengthening, maybe some resistance band exercises? (my friends with hand injuries had to do them). Enventaully you should eb able to overcome the lack of finger usage. One thing that might help is to have something to bring the gap between your usable fingers. Try it out with something attached or between to your fingers. If it works you might want to look into having it made into the grip.... think XXL finger grove where you no longer have a finger.
View Quote

It's not fatigue. The problem is that the finger is still actually there, but it sticks straight out, thus preventing a proper 2 handed grip. I can make it work, but it hurts like hell after about 100 rounds.
My hands are pretty strong. I wrestled 5 years during and after high school and have maintained a lot of that strength in my hands. I can shoot 1 handed all day long, I suspect, but getting a proper 2 handed grip...that's the problem. I really want to take a class or 2 again, but the thought of 600+ rounds...well...not fun in this condition! haha.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe a new gun with a little more real estate on the grip so you could weave your left over top better?

Or learn lefty.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe a new gun with a little more real estate on the grip so you could weave your left over top better?

Or learn lefty.
View Quote

I was considering that too. In fact, I shoot 1911's pretty damn good. Carried one for about 2 years after the accident and shot the hell out of it....but damn, buying all new mags and ammo - especially with the
"scare" coming - will suck!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you stick the "gimp" finger straight to the muzzle? Put your little finger and ring finger support side under "gimp", Middle and index support side on top of middle firing side.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I injured my index finger on my left hand about 10 years ago.  It was mangled pretty good and about 2 years later I had the doc take it off at the first knuckle.

He didn't want to, he wanted to fuse everything.  I told him no F'ing way was I going to allow that, the finger was coming off now.  I knew I would catch it on something later in life and odds are Id loose more than a finger.

I feel your pain, shooting sucked for those two years cause I struggled to get a proper grip.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking you had the right idea. I'm in the process of building my house...so can't afford to be out of action now.
Next year this time, this fucker is gone...even if I have to axe it then go to ER!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

x2

Unless this is a concealed carry gun and you're concerned with size, what about switching to a Glock 17 or 34? More real estate on the grip, as previously mentioned, and slightly less felt recoil.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
It's my conceal carry piece. I've standardized to G19's only...all things to consider. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
It isn't a huge deal for CCW IMO.  Gunfights are close and fast, concentrate on right hand only sighted and point shooting at 3-7 yds stationary and moving.  Work the left hand as well and 2 hands to stabilize for longer shots, head shots etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It isn't a huge deal for CCW IMO.  Gunfights are close and fast, concentrate on right hand only sighted and point shooting at 3-7 yds stationary and moving.  Work the left hand as well and 2 hands to stabilize for longer shots, head shots etc.
View Quote
this is true. I've been in 2 altercations in s. Africa since the accident and I don't remember using both hands on the pistol either time. Hmmmmm. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Glue a plastic ledge on your grip......dumb idea it sounding good until I started typing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I would get it cut off
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Without a doubt learn to shoot left handed. People make a big deal about eye dominance especially with rifle shooting with iron sights , but with pistol it is meaningless. I shoot both hands ( grew up left handed and still shoot bullseye competition left handed, but shoot uspsa type stuff right handed and am left eye dominant)
Within 6 months of consistent shooting with the left hand it will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Without a doubt learn to shoot left handed. People make a big deal about eye dominance especially with rifle shooting with iron sights , but with pistol it is meaningless. I shoot both hands ( grew up left handed and still shoot bullseye competition left handed, but shoot uspsa type stuff right handed and am left eye dominant)
Within 6 months of consistent shooting with the left hand it will be fine.
View Quote
Necro! Haha. Thanks guys. Going to give it a shit with the left thing. I can't afford the downtime for amputation.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
You should shoot left handed.  Good defensive shooters learn to shoot with either hand.  I'm righty and I'm practicing to get my left handed shooting at 85% of what I can do right handed.  I'm probably at 65% right now
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I am a left handed shooter. I do not have the use of my right hand at all when it comes to a gun. I tend to put my right arm underneath my left at times to look normal. I just took a 3 day course Pistol Immersion II  Memorial Day weekend. All you have to do is practice at the range and at home. I practice one handed at home with mag changes both administrative and side lock open, amount other things. Do get frustrated,  just keep practicing. You will get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top