Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2016 10:53:07 AM EDT
hey,

just a quick question.
im trying to focus very hard on my front sight (glock 17 gen4) while shooting.
because of the recoil of the gun, the front sight flips up a few milimeters after every shot (my grip is not the badest, but a bit of muzzle flip isnt preventable...).

so do you "wait" with your eyes where your front sight used to be before the shot to get it back sharp again or do your eyes always follow the front sight after every shot the whole time?

THX VERY MUCH!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

so do you "wait" with your eyes where your front sight used to be before the shot to get it back sharp again or do your eyes always follow the front sight after every shot the whole time?

THX VERY MUCH!!
View Quote

"Wait" with your eyes.  

If your grip is solid then your sights should track repeatably (meaning return to the spot they were when you pulled the trigger).

I struggled with this too when people would tell me to "track" the front sight.  That's a misnomer.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:34:22 AM EDT
[#2]
i tried it several times, but i always try to focus a clear target when the front sight is flipping up...

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Wait" with your eyes.  

If your grip is solid then your sights should track repeatably (meaning return to the spot they were when you pulled the trigger).

I struggled with this too when people would tell me to "track" the front sight.  That's a misnomer.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THX VERY MUCH!!

"Wait" with your eyes.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
as the other guy said, if you are managing recoil properly then the gun will return with a decent sight picture after the shot. this cadence of shoot -> recoil -> sight picture returning is the fastest you can shoot that gun accurately.

Dave Spaulding had a great drill to teach this concept, you might find it online somewhere. He uses a triangle shaped target, you stand at 3 or 4 yards back, aim for the low center of the triangle. you shoot at a slow cadence to begin with (1 shot per second). after a few shots you change to 2 shots per second - simply counting in your head faster is a good way to get close to the times. then he goes down to 4 shots per second. I doubt he was the first guy to come up with this drill but he's the guy we learned it from.

the idea is to show at what speed you fall apart with your recoil management. in his opinion you don't know how good you are until you start messing up.

generally after a mag or two you'll see a pattern if you've got a bad habit (trigger slap, bad recoil managment) but if you see a growing circle of holes and no general pattern you've succeeded with the drill. typically when we are done with 20 or so shots the center of the triangle is missing and no rounds are outside of the triangle.

another great question i like to ask new shooters if they can't seem to figure out just how to use their sight picture is this: What did your sights look like on your last shot? What about the shot before that? if they give me the ummmm answer I know they didn't truly see the sights. as for "following" the front sight with your eyes - who cares if you do. what should matter is if your accuracy is suffering from this action, or if your speed is greatly diminished. i would focus more on the things that matter like pulling the trigger properly, because in a real situation you may never look at your sights and you may never get to full extension because most critical incidents happen within 5 to 7 feet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
A simple concept that I
discovered is that if i
grip a little harder with
my off hand & let my
strong hand grip be
just a little looser,
the muzzle will go
back to sight level
without much conscious
effort from me.

When I grip more with
my strong hand, I have
to push the muzzle back
down for sight alignment.

YMMV

John
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
While asking on here has certainly provided some good info, reading all about it isn't nearly as valuable as acting it out. NRA basic pistol course teaches the fundamentals of pistol shooting, and you can usually find pretty inexpensive instructors.

If you can learn proper recoil management, you shouldn't be able to notice much of a conscious decision of whether to track the sight, or focus on the target. Once you are able to mitigate the recoil, you can more easily apply follow-through--which has a lot to do with what you're talking about here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you easily aquire arms and ammo (legally?) in Eritrea? Just wondering.

I don't do anything about the muzzle flip. I'm looking at the front sight, on target, pull trigger, front sight pops up and then comes back on target, pull trigger again.

To me, it's all in the stance, grip, and lockout of arms. Stance and lockout don't matter as much, but grip makes everything. The two are icing on the cake.

We all seem to understand that in a real life situation, your foot placement, body position, and lockout will not be ideal. What you can control is your grip on the gun (you chose to make it come out of the holster).

With that good grip, like others said, you will see the front sight return.

I, as well as others (I'm sure) will explain or point you to good references about grip.

ETA: squeeze and lock out (push/pull) as much as possible until your hands start to shake. Then ease off until you stop shaking. Congratulations, that's how hard you can/should grip the gun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
A really big leap for me came with a laser. I have one on the nightstand gun but not on my carry.
Brought the nightstand gun to the range and realized that I could easily track my recoil. I used this to fine tune my grip.
It really lets you see what's going on and how quickly you are back on target.
The bouncing greent dot seemed easier to see and I was able to visually speed up in a way that I couldn't with just the front sight.
Once I found the right speed I could use that rhythm and transfer to my carry with no problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A really big leap for me came with a laser. I have one on the nightstand gun but not on my carry.
Brought the nightstand gun to the range and realized that I could easily track my recoil. I used this to fine tune my grip.
It really lets you see what's going on and how quickly you are back on target.
The bouncing greent dot seemed easier to see and I was able to visually speed up in a way that I couldn't with just the front sight.
Once I found the right speed I could use that rhythm and transfer to my carry with no problem.
View Quote
I should try this...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top