Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 2:47:58 PM EDT
Hello gents,

I know that at one time several instructors taught you to "catch the link"  Is that still being taught today  ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
"catch the link" or getting to the reset and pressing again.

Some instructors do

Seems like a lot of Glock guys make a big deal of out the reset.

more time, and focus should be put on pressing the trigger straight to the rear, while the sights are aligned on the target

I can go from a super crisp tuned 1911/2011, to a stock M&P, CZ, Glock, ( guns with much longer reset) and the reset doesn't bother me with any of them.

Hand an M&P to a Glock guy, and they all seem to bitch about not feeling/hearing the reset.

" well, you can shoot so much faster if you only go right up to the reset"

whatever....watch Rob Leatham shoot.  His trigger finger comes completeley off the trigger between shots.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Hello gents,

I know that at one time several instructors taught you to "catch the link"  Is that still being taught today ?

Thanks

View Quote

I'm sure it is.  Doesn't make it good advice.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Advanced shooters with tens or even hundreds of thousands of rounds down range is one thing but the problem more often than not when teaching a novice shooter to ignore reset with the trigger finger coming off of the face of the trigger, the subsequent "slap" almost always drive the sights off target causing the typical low left impact.

Fractions of a second in competition? Certainly.

Fractions of a second in the civilian lethal threat context? Preoccupation with Insignificant Increments.

How fast is fast enough? And competition notwithstanding, when does it cross the threshold from the practical into the theatrical?

I'm not bashing the technique as allot of competitors certainly use it to good effect. Just suggesting that the need for leatham / jarret / koenig speed in the home and on the street can become a matter of diminishing returns for the average gun owner. It has to be balanced with the spare time one has to dedicate to the effort as well as the cost of the ammunition expended.
View Quote

First of all, it's probably helpful to distinguish the difference between riding the reset and trigger control.  Slapping is a trigger control issue.

Trigger control can be good or bad independent of riding the reset or not riding the reset.

I'm not sure from what context the discussion of speed arose, but I'd make the argument that speed is vastly more important in a "civilian lethal threat context" than in competition.  In the one where your life is on the line, I'd say time is basically the opposite of " Preoccupation with Insignificant Increments".  I'd say a tenth off your draw is hardly insignificant when there's a bad guy bearing down on you with a knife.  

Frankly, it's an excuse for being slow.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You should be riding the reset between shots. Don't over complicate things. If you are comparing the finger movements of competitive shooters with custom built guns to the movement with your stock (or even modified) HD/CCW guns, then there is the problem. Stop comparing and work on getting more efficient. Riding the reset is without any doubt more efficient then coming all the way off the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top