Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
apg12 another thing you can do with a Glock is remove the s spring. This will let the weapon fire but when the shooter goes and releases the trigger to reset he will have to stop at the reset to have the weapon fire again if he goes past the reset you will have to pull the slide back before it will fire. Glock taught this trick in there class to help teach new shooters what trigger reset is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Place a spent casing on the slide, have him dry fire without knocking the casing off
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, I came here for help with something else...
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but WASSUP, bro!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  Persistent mismanagement of the trigger
• Lots of Dry Practice
• Ball and Dummy exercises. Instructor or other student does the loading of the magazines. Sometimes may choose to load only one or two live rounds amongst many dummy rounds and point out the quality of the one round fired after they tired of jerking the trigger.
• Consider eliminating recoil by using .22 cal. pistol and then graduated movement to heavier calibers
• Consider videotaping student so they can observe themselves or use a laser sighting system.

2.  Fear of the weapon
• Lots of Dry Practice
• Double-up on ear protection to reduce noise from others shooting on the line: ear muffs over soft ear plugs.
• Use of light recoil weapon such as .22 cal. with graduated move to heavier calibers.

CD
Not to hijack the thread, but WASSUP, bro!!

IM sent

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

- 2nd, from your comments above, I would spend more time on proper sight alignment and focus to correct his shooting drills, especially since he is a new shooter. Set up a grouping drill with perfect sight alignment as the goal. DO NOT USE THE DOTS ON THE SIGHTS.
View Quote

Yeah, that turned out to be a lot of his problem too. The many repetitions with snap caps has helped him to stop anticipating recoil, especially mixing in the snap caps with live rounds at the range.

Sight picture was, and still is a big issue. I have a hard time getting him to focus on the front sight as he pulls the trigger instead of the target itself. But he is improving with practice, and much help from you guys.

Thanks again

Ruck
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, that turned out to be a lot of his problem too. The many repetitions with snap caps has helped him to stop anticipating recoil, especially mixing in the snap caps with live rounds at the range.

Sight picture was, and still is a big issue. I have a hard time getting him to focus on the front sight as he pulls the trigger instead of the target itself. But he is improving with practice, and much help from you guys.

Thanks again

Ruck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- 2nd, from your comments above, I would spend more time on proper sight alignment and focus to correct his shooting drills, especially since he is a new shooter. Set up a grouping drill with perfect sight alignment as the goal. DO NOT USE THE DOTS ON THE SIGHTS.

Thanks again

Ruck

Figured it was. That's usually the issue with most of the beginners I see. I actually don't teach front sight post focus. I teach focal plane shifts at the basic level. Have the shooter continually shift from the target to front sight to rear sight during a slow trigger press. During the slow trigger press I have them constantly analyst the precise sight alignment and compare it to the sight placement on the target. If the sights move out of alignment or placement, the press stops. When it returns, it continues.

I do this for two reasons:

1- At the basic level you are basically programming your brain. It is very important to reinforce the way your mind processes what you see. Any time you press the trigger on a bad sight picture, you are teaching your brain that it is proper. It is also teaching yourself sight alignment relationship with the produced level of precision. This gives you a basis to know how much or how little of the gun you need to reference in order to take a shot, bases on the level of accuracy required.

2- Target discrimination. Most of us spend 90% of our time focusing on the front sight post when training hard. This is because most people just shoot paper, steel or threat targets. Very few people actually put up scenario targets and use hand overlays to force ourselves to process the target to decide whether it is appropriate to shoot the target. Processing (discriminating) the target takes place at the target's focal plane, so focusing solely on an object 2 feet from the eye makes this impossible. Training with vision shifts from the target to both sights continuously makes us comfortable getting our eyes moving to tasks sooner, which allows the shot to happen sooner.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
this might be hard to explain but...

To at least get the point across that he's anticipating it (most guys just don't believe you):

• have him go to full extension with or without the gun

• stand next to him and lightly hit his knuckles with your open hand (a tapping motion). make sure he actually can see you are moving your hand to him, don't stay in contact

• get a few light taps in, tell him this is "recoil"

• get a decent cadence going so its very predictable, for example 1 taps per second

• on one of the taps, after a couple at least, intentionally miss his hands by moving yours BELOW his right before contact

• you'll see that SOB lurch in anticipation of the "recoil"

I always like the students that tell me their pistol sights are "off". Yeah, cause your black gun, and everyone else's are just magically that much different. As I learned from the late Mr. Awerbuck, even if it was off it'd be somewhere in the range of a couple thousandths of an inch or less. So unless you had a crappy gun smith change your sights, its going to be close enough.

The dryfire drills with snap caps, or snap caps in a loaded mag during practice is another great way to teach this as you've already found out.

Lastly if you don't suffer from the same issues, you can shoot your friends gun and force him to WATCH YOUR TRIGGER FINGER from the side. He can assess the target after you've shot but watch how much the gun does/doesn't move while you are shooting, and show him slowly so he might actually be able to observe it. Sometimes we even pull the trigger for our students while they are holding the gun, proving its the trigger finger and not a sight alignment issue.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Something that may have not been brought up (unless I missed it) is "what is he doing with his off hand?"

The offhand should be applying as much or more pressure to the grip/frame as the trigger pullin' hand.

After a bunch of practice, it should be just as tired if not more so than the strong hand.

(For righties) The pistol grip should be something like: grab with right hand, place heel of left hand on exposed part of grip, between right fingers and right heel of hand, at a 45 degree angle.  Left fingers should squeeze right fingers, thumbs forward, and some push-pull action works well for a lot of people.  

You can have your friend do this with an empty gun, assume a shooting stance, then you manually grab his slide and violently rack it.  It will force him to get better footwork, a better grip, etc.  At first he will stumble backwards because he doesn't have a steady base.  Then he will learn that he has to have a steady base.  From the rear leg, up  the spine, out the arms and to the hands should be "locked in".  It's easy to demonstrate this to someone by doing the above drill.

Footwork is often overlooked.  One needs a strong base in any martial art.  

By doing this drill, you will be pushing him Harder than the recoil from an actual round does, and live-fire may begin to seem tamer in comparison.

There are some very good youtube videos on "how to grip a pistol" from some of the big names and channels.  Tell him to study those, and do the things mentioned in this thread.

And of course, when he is dry-firing, the goal should be to keep the front sight between the rear sight's ears.  If the front sight "touches" the sides, that's a fail. The sight picture needs to stay the same through the trigger pull.  His dry fire practice should be done while pointing at a white wall, so that he can see his sights better.  Don't have him dry-fire while pointing at a particular target, that is counter-productive, especially for a beginner.  The only goal is to keep the front sight from touching the rear ears in his POV.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Have him train with revolver.  Mix in live shells with empty ones in the cylinder. Helps pratice trigger control and jumping issues.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have him train with revolver.  Mix in live shells with empty ones in the cylinder. Helps pratice trigger control and jumping issues.
View Quote

That's a good idea too, never thought of that one either. Although the only revolver I own is a Taurus with an 8 3/8" bbl chambered in 454 Cassull so I don't know if that would be good or bad?

But it sure would be FUN watching him anticipate live round or empty case!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Flinch inoculation drill can work wonders.

The Flinch Inoculation Drill allows the shooter to focus on gun noise and gun movement. Step one of the drill is to have the shooter point the gun into a suitable back stop with no target and fire the gun with their eyes closed. The initial point of attention is the sound of the gun. The shooter is allowed to listen to each individual shot until they are comfortable with the sound of the gun.

Step two is to feel the push of the gun in the hands as the muzzle lifts and settles with each discharge. The eyes are still closed in step two and the shooter is allowed to shoot until they are comfortable with the feel of the gun during discharge. In each of the two steps, 5 to 6 rounds is the average that the shooters need to accomplish the task.

Step three is to allow the shooter to watch the gun movement from each side and then the rear while only focusing on how the gun actually moved in their hands, again allowing the number of shots needed to satisfy the shooter.

These three steps allow the shooter to assure the subconscious mind through the cognitive download of practical experience that the sound of the gun and the movement of the gun is of no consequence to the safety and integrity of the shooter.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/dont-jerk-the-trigger/
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Anticipating recoil. Or jerking the trigger can be fixed by shooting a lot! To realize the recoil isn't going to hurt you. Then the recoil isn't a big deal and won't worry about it as much
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Dry fire using the proper shooting techniques is the only way. I used to lay a quarter on the frame of the gun and practice trigger control/sight control while dry firing trying to keep the quarter on the gun.

The range is the worst place to fix it. A proper grip is important as is proper finger placement on the trigger and I just dont see any way to build the proper technique into muscle memory without a lot of dry firing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
All great advice from previous posters..... I find from time to time a student will be a natural at maintaining sight alignment/ sight picture while gently manipulating the trigger to the rear.

This is rare though. Most students are hard focused on the front sight and during the natural arc of movement, see the front sight "right where they want it" and feel they need to get the shot off quick --- thus "jerking" the trigger.

The BIG secret to accurate shooting is trigger control and sight alignment.....master these and you are well on the way to accurate shooting.

Make sure the student is following the basics of breath control and follow-through for before and after the shot breaks....trigger should be a gradual building of pressure until they have a "surprise" break.

Another trick I do to identify if the student has a trigger or sighting issue is to have them point in....focusing only on the front sight while I place my finger on the trigger and break the shot. Then have the student place their finger on the trigger, but not move it.....instructor then place your finger on top of their finger and show them what a gradual building of pressure feels like. Make sure you start the student in close at 3 or 5 meters. Shooting alot will not fix this issue unless they are practicing perfect fundamentals. Also, I agree with the post above.....dry fire practice is very important. I do 10X more dry fire than live fire during my competitive season.

Hope that little bit helps and one with struggling students.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
1.  Dry fire with a dime on the front sight.
2.  Mix up dummies with live ammo so the student "sees" his flinch.
3.  Mix it up centerfire with a 22LR.  Put a few shots through centerfire, then a few through rimfire noticing what you do when you pick up the rimfire.  Then "fix it" with the 22 firing a few rounds and then learn it with another rimfire mag.  Then put a few centerfire through and pickup the 22LR again and see where you are.  

The centerfire/rimfire swap helped me more than anything.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your buddy has bad habits and is replicating the way his brain subconsciously thinks guns should act. He, like many, have had thier brains hardwired into acting based on decades of guns on TV and video games. The only way to counteract this is to train it out, and instill new good habits instead, that is going to take thousands of repetitions of dryfiring with perfect sight picture, and sight alignment.

THAT only works when he internalizes that there is no "quick fix" that will instantly make him better, and that it's going to take dedication (not even hard work, it's just a few minutes of dry fire a day).

If he stopped live fire for 3 months, and did nothing by practice perfect position and aim, dry firing 30 times perfectly each day, then went back to live fire, the difference would be astronomical. (2700 repetitions, kind of the minimum to overwrite bad habits, more is better).
View Quote
I agree with this because this was me! Lol! but I learned the hard way, bought different guns and spent a lot of money on ammo but it didn't help. Taking time off after moving helped when all I did was dry fire and pay attention to how my finger movement and how the gun frame moved through the pull.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Ball & Dummy drill.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Slow and steady squeeze until the "surprise" happens.

Get dummy rounds and randomly load his mags so he doesn't know which round is the dummy round. People who flinch a lot can see how bad of a flinch they have with dummy rounds a lot of the time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good post.  Dry firing is the answer - a lot of dry firing.
View Quote
Dry firing with a light or laser helped me a lot. Makes it easier to see how the muzzle is moving as you pull. Work on holding the center of the beam or the dot on the target all the way through the pull.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I did the dry fire thing with people too, only I had them use the sight laser and make sure that when they pulled the trigger the laser stayed still on the target.

Working with my son now (right handed), he's pushing the trigger to the left, so I'm teaching him how his right hand needs to move around the grip a bit so that his pull will be straight, and to stabilize the pistol more with his left hand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Get them a hooker....
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Acclimation

Good article by Ron avery about learning to let the gun recoil.  I'm seeing him next week for a handgun class.

Travis Haley also teaches a similar thing where you close your eyes and fire 5 shots, trying to feel where the shots went.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#23]
AIMING IS USELESS! 3 Secrets To Great Shooting | Rob Leatham 6x IPSC World Champion!
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always used the ball and dummy drill when instructing.  It seems like a very good way to illustrate proper fundamentals.

Ball and Dummy Option 1:

Load a mag with a mix of live and snap caps, randomly, so they don't know the order.  Have them fire one round at a time slowly while focusing on proper fundamentals.  You'll see the movement on a snap cap and so will they.

Ball and Dummy Option 2:

Stand behind him and have him lock the slide to the rear.  Take him mag and either load one round or load zero rounds.  Insert mag and release the slide.  Have him draw and fire with proper fundamentals.  You'll see if he fucks up.

Do it until they stop with whatever bad fundamentals they're practicing.  Usually once a week or every few times out to the range to illustrate the atrophy over time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Great suggestions.

Once dry fire training is complete, one of the other things I like to do is at the end of a range session, present and shoot 100 times or more.

present->shoot->back to ready x 100 or more

They'll get tired. That's the point. At some point the shooter will stop caring about the flinch and just shoot just to get it over with. Like basketball and other sports, once muscle memory starts to build you want to take the mind out of it.

My dry-fire practice pistol is a Ruger P89. I used to have a crappier P94 with a mushier trigger for that, that was great.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
.22lr pistol ftw. Practice until your bank account is drained.

V
View Quote
Even with low end match ammo, that's like billions of rounds!

Also, I do agree with this.  Learning the fundamentals on a known quantity like a Ruger MKIV or S&W Victory or something similar will go a looooooooooooong way in establishing shooter confidence.  I will say, I don't think I've gotten over my .45 flinch.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I didn't read all the posts so with that said I suggest to anyone who has a jerking problem. Is to get training from a instructor. They will show you the best grip and stance and follow through. There are a lot of good videos out there but nothing like a one on one instructor's help.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Use a true DA pistol. He can practice a really slow and smooth pull.

Thats how I learned.

Gen3 S&W autos are good for this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn, I came here for help with something else...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Dry practice
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top