Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 10:24:51 AM EDT
Does anyone have some spare original NRA Basic Pistol student packets they don't need and can sell me?  I have a course coming up on 28 Feb, and already had about half of the materials on hand.  I'd rather teach one more course under the old curriculum than waste the materials I already purchased and transition completely to the new course.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like more are in the store, I just sold off the ones I had to a local guy who just got his pistol instructor certification.  Still  have four of the First Steps Pistol packets, I think the only difference between them is the certificate included.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It looks like more are in the store, I just sold off the ones I had to a local guy who just got his pistol instructor certification.  Still  have four of the First Steps Pistol packets, I think the only difference between them is the certificate included.
View Quote

ETA: OK, it also doesn't have the basic pistol exam in it.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked the store earlier today before posting this, but will check back- thanks!

I'm told Mar/Apr is the cutoff timeframe, but if they don't have the packets the cutoff doesn't matter much...

ETA:  I got the last 10 they had in stock.  That isn't enough, but it gets me closer at least.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a few extras laying around if you cant get them send me a PM.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Packets are in stock again in the NRA store.  I think the expiration date is May 15th for these.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone seen these available recently at all? I can't even find them on the NRA site anymore... would anyone possibly have an extra 2 I could purchase? That's all that I am short for the time being. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Kind of on topic here. My wife wants to get her Illinois concealed carry.

I was able to get 8 hors of the required 16 duie to having a Florida and Utah permit.

We took a coiurse years ago in Florida. "We opted for the longer one that was 8 hours but was closer to 10 as the had a lawyer coe in and talk about legal stuff.

The certificate is called "NRA HANDGUN PERSONAL PROTECTION COURSE"  which is no longer listed any where I can find.

It seems to be the same as "NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME COURSE" which they give 8 hours credit for in Illinois.

Does anyone know if these are similar or the same? Illinois may give credit but I would like to offer proof when I submit it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was able to get 8 hors of the required 16 duie to having a Florida and Utah permit.

We took a coiurse years ago in Florida. "We opted for the longer one that was 8 hours but was closer to 10 as the had a lawyer coe in and talk about legal stuff.

The certificate is called "NRA HANDGUN PERSONAL PROTECTION COURSE"  which is no longer listed any where I can find.

It seems to be the same as "NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME COURSE" which they give 8 hours credit for in Illinois.

Does anyone know if these are similar or the same? Illinois may give credit but I would like to offer proof when I submit it.
View Quote
As my NRA Training Counselor explained to me, once upon a time NRA had this course. Subsequently they ceased teaching that course and broke it up into NRA Personal Protection In the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home (I teach both of these).

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As my NRA Training Counselor explained to me, once upon a time NRA had this course. Subsequently they ceased teaching that course and broke it up into NRA Personal Protection In the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home (I teach both of these).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought. It did cover in the home and law to some degree. So we should   be able to get it approved. Might call the NRA and the place we took the course to get some documentation. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

There is now a "Defensive Handgun" course that covers part of what the PPITH and PPOTH courses cover, but in one handy smaller package.  That might be a course that is the current version of what the PP course used to be, without all the extra in-depth of the other two.

If you are PPOTH certified, you can order the materials for and teach the new Defensive Handgun course.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There is now a "Defensive Handgun" course that covers part of what the PPITH and PPOTH courses cover, but in one handy smaller package.  That might be a course that is the current version of what the PP course used to be, without all the extra in-depth of the other two.

If you are PPOTH certified, you can order the materials for and teach the new Defensive Handgun course.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

NRA is gasping for breathe on the Defensive Handgun course. For numerous reasons very few people are offering this class. I'm certified to teach it and am really unsure that I'll teach it. I've had  a serious discussion with the director of NRA Training about this course.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
NRA is gasping for breathe on the Defensive Handgun course. For numerous reasons very few people are offering this class. I'm certified to teach it and am really unsure that I'll teach it. I've had  a serious discussion with the director of NRA Training about this course.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They officially state that you must be an Advanced Pistol Instructor to teach it, but are no longer taking applications to be Advanced Pistol Instructors (which had been one of my goals, but life interfered and I haven't had time/money to pick up my PPOTH class and instructor cert).

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Now it seems that they are allowing any PPOH instructor to teach it, since most of us who received the Defensive Handgun rating the way they demanded have chosen not to teach it. I will say that it canabalizes PPOH, so teach Defensive Pistol and you will never sign up those students for PPIH or PPOH, making your ratings worthless. That is the essence of what I argued with John Howard.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top