Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2015 2:32:25 PM EDT
Wasn't looking to get into airsoft but remember someone mentioning this before. Was curious if anyone did this as far as practice at home?

Was thinking about getting as close as a clone as possible to my handgun and then instead of dry fire, use the airsoft pistol to practice my drawstroke from my holster, speed of target acquisition and trigger pull all without having to rack the slide afterwards. It's relatively safe and can be done in the garage practically all day.

If anyone is familiar with this I had a few questions:

- Was looking for the M&P9. Are there any go-to brands to get where the pistol is practically identical to the real thing?
- How is the trigger pull on airsoft; somewhat realistic with a reset or do you have to drag the trigger back/is the trigger so light it goes full auto? Was hoping to really practice trigger technique.
- The airsoft pistols I saw used .2BBs and green gas and were listed as somewhere around 300fps - would this be enough to punch through a cardboard target?

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Tokyo Marui currently makes the best M&P airsoft clone on the market. WE may have one as well (TM clone, cheaper, questionable reliability).

Triggers are hit or miss. My Glock clone's trigger is....Glock-like...

.20g BB at 300fps is plenty to penetrate cardboard at close-range.

As always, wear eye protection. Airsoft guns are techically toys but they can still shoot an eye out. And teeth for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]

I just got a VFC M&P 9 from Airsoft Atlanta. I use it for exactly what you are describing. Best $150 I've spent in awhile. Excellent training tool. fits perfectly in all my holsters, trigger feels pretty darn similar to my actual M&P has interchangeable backstraps and the mags fit in my mag pouches too. I wish it was a tad bit heavier though, might try it add some weight to it somehow. Slide is metal of some kind. I forget the muzzle velocity off the top of my head but I believe its the 350 fps range with the .2g BBs. I guess its actually licensed by S&W. Goes through several sheets of cardboard. Had an issue with them over penetrating and bouncing around my garage at me. I built a little trap using some foam and cardboard and it still penetrates some of the time

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, started looking.

First thing that came to mind was the eye protection because I instantly went to - 300fps, cardboard..this things coming back at me lol

ETA - Looks like every TM M&P pistol is out of stock anywhere. Any experience with VFC? This one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just got a VFC M&P 9 from Airsoft Atlanta. I use it for exactly what you are describing. Best $150 I've spent in awhile. Excellent training tool. fits perfectly in all my holsters, trigger feels pretty darn similar to my actual M&P has interchangeable backstraps and the mags fit in my mag pouches too. I wish it was a tad bit heavier though, might try it add some weight to it somehow. Slide is metal of some kind. I forget the muzzle velocity off the top of my head but I believe its the 350 fps range with the .2g BBs. I guess its actually licensed by S&W. Goes through several sheets of cardboard. Had an issue with them over penetrating and bouncing around my garage at me. I built a little trap using some foam and cardboard and it still penetrates some of the time

<a href="http://s864.photobucket.com/user/ScoutH57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032723_zpsm5mc6hce.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/ScoutH57/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032723_zpsm5mc6hce.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s864.photobucket.com/user/ScoutH57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032714_zps94qcbyh3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/ScoutH57/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032714_zps94qcbyh3.jpg</a>
View Quote

Right as I was posting. Was looking at that one.

Thanks@!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Defenitely Eyepro. Drawing from your duty belt in the garage while wearing nothing but flip flops and boxers is also not recommended....so I've heard.

Stings like a sonofabitch.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Also check these guys out. Free shipping.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/VFC-S-W-M-P9-GBB-Auto-Pistol-Black-p/32051.htm
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a KSC G17 that I use to train with. I like training with it in the backyard to supplement my "real" training. Here is an accessory for airsoft pistols that I found and now use. It adapts your green gas magazines for use a with standard air compressor. It saves a whole lot of money and time filling your magazines with green gas or propane. I highly recommend it, it is well worth the money. BTW, I have no interest in the company that sells this item, I am just a happy user of it.

http://www.tactrainers.com/collections/accessories-services

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at Airsoft as a supplemental training aid and for the damn life of me, can't find a Glock19 Gen3 Gas gun copy. Looking at Airsoft Atlanta and a few others and they simply don't have it. Ok, I'll settle for a G23 copy but they don't have that either. They have a copy for a Styer, because everyone and his brother carries one of those these days, right?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
You will have to order it from overseas. Glock will not allow authorized airsoft copies of it's pistols from what I understand. Here is a link to a G19 from the company that I bought my G17 from. I believe they are located in Hong Kong.

https://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=24290
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You will have to order it from overseas. Glock will not allow authorized airsoft copies of it's pistols from what I understand. Here is a link to a G19 from the company that I bought my G17 from. I believe they are located in Hong Kong.

https://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=24290
View Quote

Ah that would explain it!
How does that G17 fit in your holsters? Pretty much the same thing as the real deal? How's the trigger?

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The trigger functions the same way as a real G17, but it is much lighter than the real one. As for how it fits into holsters, it fits fine in my Safariland duty holster and a friends Serpa but it is a little bit too snug in my Raven. The slide is just a little bit wider than the real G17 so holsters that aren't super snug seem to work fine. I could use it in my Raven if I wanted to, but I think that it would wear the holster out prematurely due to how snug it is.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]
FIL got me the KWA Adaptive Training Pistol for Christmas so I'm looking forward to using it for some home-based stuff plus start teaching my son about gun saftey. I need to pick up some propane and the little adaptor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been looking at Airsoft as a supplemental training aid and for the damn life of me, can't find a Glock19 Gen3 Gas gun copy. Looking at Airsoft Atlanta and a few others and they simply don't have it. Ok, I'll settle for a G23 copy but they don't have that either. They have a copy for a Styer, because everyone and his brother carries one of those these days, right?
View Quote

[span style='font-weight: bold;']GLOCK has only recently allowed (legally) a manufacture to build GLOCK replicas and that is PTS.  The same people who make MAGPUL replica stuff for airsoft use, word on the street though is they will at the moment only be marketed to Law Enforcement and Military training entities.  You can find them locally (non licensed copies) but no one actively advertises them you have to go to a brick and mortar store to find them.

I've been a huge proponent of airsoft as a training aid for a long time now.  I regularly setup drills in my backyard.  Example below.  I have better stands built up now and once a week or so will setup in the backyard and waste a couple of hundred BBs running drills and practicing reloads.  

My go to training guns are both KWA.  One is a KWA ATP which is kind of a GLOCK/M&P hybrid type pistol.  Fits some GLOCK holsters and most M&P holsters.  The other is a KWA LM4 which I have setup to replicate my real go to rifle as closely as possible.  I've really considered going to the local airsoft store and grabbing one of the "grey market" GLOCKs some of them carry.

I setup a facebook page called "Training with Airsoft" back in August but haven't done much with it.  My daughter was born right after that so got busy with other stuff.  I need to get some more pictures and videos done up to upload to the page.  

There's a few examples on youtube of people using this as training.  

Usually the evening before an IDPA or USPSA match I'll make it a point to setup a small course in the back yard and run a some drill primarily reloading drills to knock the dust off for the match.  

.20g are the lightest BBs you need to use.  If you have a big back yard or it tends to be windy you can move up to .25 or .28.  The heavier BBs resist wind gusts a little better than the lighter ones.  I tend to run .25 and .28 in both of my guns.

For gas I use regular ol Wally World propane cans that are a few bucks a pop at Wal Mart and a 14 dollar propane adapter from Amazon.  I do keep a few cans of Green Gas around (basically propane but without the smell bad stuff in it and silicone oil added for lubrication) but that's for convenience some times.  Usually it's just the plain old propane.  At the start of a session I'll put a drop of silicone oil in the neck of the propane bottle then screw the adapter to the top and fill the mags for the rest of the session like that.  I've got one each of the following adapters and either one will work just fine.  

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Crusader-ProA1-Propane-Adapter/dp/B00B8YRHH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453358607&sr=8-2&keywords=airsoft+propane+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/adapter-silicon-authentic-airsoft-innovation/dp/B00OBWT9JG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453358607&sr=8-4&keywords=airsoft+propane+adapter

For some reason that Tactrainers link didnt' work for me.  Not sure if it was just me but here's a good link.  I'm not sure how I'd feel about having an airhose dangling off the bottom of my mag.  I do like their targets though.  If you already have steel targets for real guns you can just use those.  They just won't fall over.  But will still make a "DING!".

http://www.tactrainers.com/collections/accessories-services
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. That was very informative. I'm going to try chase down a g19 gas gun or two...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a G19 made by WE and it is great training for what I use it for. My everyday carry is a G23 and this fits all the same holsters (crossbreed supertuck, gundo kydex, ). Same as all my spare magazine carriers. Its great to practice draw strokes, mag changes and reloads, trigger pull and whatever you can imagine. Yes it is different from the real thing, no real recoil and different weight if the slide, but it is still great to train with. Sight acquisition has really helped me get on target much faster and its noticeable when I shoot IDPA matches.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Plastic SOLO cups make great airsoft targets.  Set them up all around the back yard like a USPSA course and go at it!  My shot timer set to max sensitivity works fine with airsoft.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Plastic SOLO cups make great airsoft targets.  Set them up all around the back yard like a USPSA course and go at it!  My shot timer set to max sensitivity works fine with airsoft.
View Quote

Hmm good idea I think I have a 3 foot stack of those somewhere I need to get rid of.  I need to get a real shot timer as well.  I've been using a Shot Timer app on my phone and even at max sensitivity the phone has to be really close or in front of the gun to pick up the shot.

I've been setting up my 66% AR500 IPSC steels in the back yard for practice.  Works pretty good and you get the "ding" when they are hit.  I'm sure my neighbors are wondering WTF is going on back there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have a reputable online dealer to buy a WE G17 from?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone have a reputable online dealer to buy a WE G17 from?
View Quote

Good luck.  They aren't true one to one either by the way.  The WEG17s will not fit (Far too snug) my KYDEX CC and OC Glock holster.  It does fit leather and my Blackhawk CQC though.  

My KWA ATP is a better fit for my KYDEX gear but still a bit tight compared to the real deal.  I did find the KWA ATPs will fit S&W M&P 9/40 Kydex like a glove.  

You won't find a US based dealer that will sell you a WE G17 online.  GLOCK has that stuff on lockdown.  The only luck I've had is physically going to a retail store and asking for it specifically.

You should be able to find some China based distributors that can send it to you but you run the risk of it being seized by customs on the way in.  You won't get in trouble but the item will be seized and you're out money.  

You can find some "timberwolf" custom type guns that look like a GLOCK constructed out of LoneWolf parts but I'm not sure if they fit all the GLOCK gear or not as I haven't messed with them.  Agency Arms also now makes one that is "Glock Like" but different enough to get around GLOCK's trades.

I can't pull up the China based distributors at work they are all blocked but if you do some googling you might be able to find it.  

Also Cybergun recently entered into a contract with GLOCK to have GLOCK airsoft pistols built BUT it's for MIL/LEO use only at the moment.  Apparently the builder/distributor is to only sell them to Mil/LEO for training use.  

I have a feeling that EVENTUALLY it will make its way to the market but for the time being there is no reliable way to get a true 1:1 GBB GLOCK pistol.  

http://www.popularairsoft.com/cybergun-announces-glock-military-licence-military-markets-department

BTW-CYBERGUN is the company that gets the licensing from various manufactures to build licensed airsoft replicas.  They don't actually build the guns they farm that out to other well known airsoft gun makers but they do all the work to get the license in the first place.  

Below is my wife's real M&P 9 and a CYBERGUN licensed airsoft replica of the M&P9.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Holsters aren't a problem. I make both leather and kydex. I know I'll have to go overseas for an online dealer just want to know who anyone has had good luck with. Any gun manufacturer who doesn't at least have a licensed copy or open source their design for airsoft manufacture at this point is a marketing dolt....gateway drug much?. Besides some people choose their firearms with training clones in mind as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:Was curious if anyone did this as far as practice at home? Was thinking about getting as close as a clone as possible to my handgun and then instead of dry fire...
View Quote

Great idea, and I am thrilled to see so many on this forum already using this technology.

1. Yes, I do use this technology at home, and we also recommend it to our students/clients as a great training augmentation for their dry practice.

2. While the technology is light years ahead of where it was a decade ago, it is still a nascent technology for the most part, and we have yet to find a airsoft firearm that can take regular rough use (dumping magazines, aggressive working the slide, etc). I have gone though a LOT of (expensive) magazines, magazine base plates, and guns. At this time, it seems too cost prohibitive to build a sturdy airsoft that will put up with regular use.

Because of the above (and all the aforementioned reasons in this thread), we recommend that shooters use airsoft to augment their dry practice but not replace dry practice with their firearms all together.

In other words, use your regular firearm the way you normally would for dry practice (especially those drills that can be excessively rough on your airsoft and airsoft magazines - like malfunction clearances and some reloads) and integrate the airsoft to confirm your regular dry practice drills that require the recoil/trigger reset to accomplish a specific training goal and are not as hard on your airsoft and equipment.

We also recommend that shooters should finish their dry practice session with their carry guy (with a weighted training magazine inserted) to reacquaint themselves with their firearms wight and trigger press.

We predict that not too long from now, you will be seeing companies like UTM/Simunitions marketing their conversion kits and munitions for home use... it's just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I like airsoft to supplement dryfire practice and I use it to run drills in the garage with a shot timer. I bought a G17 and G19 from a dealer out of Hong Kong...I think the company online was called UnCompany...both pistols were around $140-150 each.

The triggers are lighter than the stock Glock and the weight is fairly comparable. The mag release is identical to the stock pistol and as a word of advice, if you plan to do reload drills, place a box with a pillow close to you so that you do not damage your airsoft mags dropping on the hard floor.

I also have a SIRT pistol that I also use to supplement dryfire practice.

All the best
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Airsoft made me a MUCH better shooter. I got in on the KWA exact glock copies years ago before the lawsuit and it is dang near an exact replica of a full size glock. Same holster and mag sizes and everything. Of course there isn't any real recoil but the slide does move which makes you require your front sight and that alone is worth it imo. I did nothing but dot torture drills for a winter and the first live fire session I did at the range i was blown away. The accuracy of the first shot out of a draw was my personal biggest improvement.  Time between targets was much better too. I set up a few action shooting type scenarios and they were fun if nothing else to get moving and shooting. I think the best that can be said is that airsoft gets you trigger time anytime you want it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#25]
It's been a while since I have had my
airsoft's out, but I would have my son
hide ipsc targets in the driveway &
around the yard, and I would go
clear them with my M4 & P99.
Both are gas. I load them to
realistic quantites in their mags,
even though they will both hold
more. I can safely shoot 360
degrees,  with no worries that
my neighbors will have a clue
what I'm doing. It's great trigger
time & training, without having
to drive & pay for range time.

Very effective training.

John
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I found this thread and certainly appreciate the thoughts and advice since I was thinking on how to improve my steel challenge performance. I bought a M&P9 clone today and will be setting up in the basement for some practice - thanks!

ETA: Orange safety tip has since been removed.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#27]
You bet.  You're going to have a lot of fun with that thing :) Not sure if you have friends who are receptive to airsoft but if you do convince them to buy a pistol and do some FoF training.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Good online source for gas?
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#29]
No need to order it if you have
a Walmart or Ace Hardware
close by. And it will help avoid
the ORM-D fees.

You need this,

and this.

John

Quoted:
Good online source for gas?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#30]
If you want to run green gas the best way is to find a local airsoft shop and buy it there.  If not the above idea works as well and is what I do.

Here's the adapter on AMAZON
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the info. Last night I ordered a G19 from HK and one of those gas valves from Amazon.  What kind of BB's should I order for my 20 yard indoor garage range?  I am looking forward to being able to practice at home.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Last night I ordered a G19 from HK and one of those gas valves from Amazon.  What kind of BB's should I order for my 20 yard indoor garage range?  I am looking forward to being able to practice at home.
View Quote

I would think, if you're shooting longer distances, you may want a heavier BB.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am more concerned with shorter distances like 20 yards and accuracy so I can have fun and practice.  It should arrive Tuesday or Wed so I will post some photo's and update the thread.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am more concerned with shorter distances like 20 yards and accuracy so I can have fun and practice.  It should arrive Tuesday or Wed so I will post some photo's and update the thread.  Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've read on-line, it appears 60 feet or so  is where accuracy begins to fall off with an airsoft handgun trainer and lighter BBs. I'm only shooting at 50 feet but I did buy the heavier 28g BBs; pretty sure they were only $10 for a huge bag..
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Look what the UPS man just delivered.  I will report back later once I have a chance to test it out, but so far I am impressed. If it performs as good as it looks and feels I will be very happy.  Holy shit, this thing is awesome.  I just gassed her up and fired a few rounds into the trash can.  I am stopping by the dollar store tonight to pick up some aluminum plates and will be setting up the garage range tonight.  The only thing left I haven't checked is the holster fit, but this thing looks and feels and functions  like the real thing.  I just hope I don't shoot myself in the foot.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Common practice is .25s or heavier.  I run .28s in my KWA LM4 and ATP.  Don't run .12s those are basically useless and most guns will "overhop" it.  .20s is the lightest I'd go and if you're indoors they should be fine.  Heavier BBs are less effected by wind and better for outdoor use.  I recommend (if it's going to be used outdoors) to use the heaviest BB your gun can properly "hop".

Dont' cheap out on BBs.  Make sure you get a name brand and don't buy the cheap ones from Wally World.  It actually does make a difference.  Cheapies have a lot more air pockets in the BB and are much more likely to come apart in the gun.  Which is not a fun experience.

Quoted:
Look what the UPS man just delivered.  I will report back later once I have a chance to test it out, but so far I am impressed. If it performs as good as it looks and feels I will be very happy.  Holy shit, this thing is awesome.  I just gassed her up and fired a few rounds into the trash can.  I am stopping by the dollar store tonight to pick up some aluminum plates and will be setting up the garage range tonight.  The only thing left I haven't checked is the holster fit, but this thing looks and feels and functions  like the real thing.  I just hope I don't shoot myself in the foot.

http://www.speedmph.com/Air/AirG19_12.jpg

View Quote

I'll probably fit any loose fitting kydex gear (like Blackhawk SERPA) just fine.  You may find any concealed carry kydex will be tight.   Possibly.  I haven't messed with the HK Glock clones in a few months but the last ones I messed with were very tight in my Fury Concealment holsters.  Fit my SERPA CQC just fine though.  Where did you order it from.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#37]
My replica G17 with a light won't fit the holster for the real steel version.

I buy the biodegradable bb's so that they don't piss off people when I make a snowstorm on their property.

Be gentle with the slide. They are NO where near as robust as the real steel versions.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#38]
"bios" aren't as degradable as some think.  They degrade under ideal conditions (heat and pressure) but just laying on the ground can take up to a decade or more to go completley away.  For sure better than standard non bio BBs but they can take a long time to really break down.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I think 20yds is pushing it accuracy-wise (I get ~6" at 10yds with a KWA G19) and not the best use of the tool anyway.  The best way to train raw marksmanship (which is mostly trigger control) is via dry and live fire.

Airsoft shines at close quarters, practicing realistic rapid fire drills (sighted and point shooting) from contact range to 7yds and/or on the move.  At these ranges, if you miss the vital zone, it was all you.

Next area where they shine is the environment they can be used in (anywhere almost).  As someone posted above, a partner can place targets (I like the 3D plastic torsos with clothing added) around your house/property and you can deal with them with no range restrictions at all.  Finally, if someone has the expertise to design a realistic scenario (and know how to run FoF safely) and you have enough interested people to rotate role players, you can use them for FoF and get about 90% of the value you would out of Simunition FX with waayyyyyy less cost and risk.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#40]
This is gonna sound nitpicky, but I'm just throwing it out there for food for thought:

- I'd leave the orange ends on. I have *severe* concerns when it comes to these things, because they are so realistic. Anything that helps me to understand the replica I am using is a replica, increases confidence and reduces mistakes. Also, if you wind up doing force on force or go somewhere to do some airsoft, you'll have to have it orange. Unlike the kids who are playing make-believe, there's no real reason for us to not have them marked.

In fact, I picked a tan replica because I know I don't own any tan firearms.

-Try to call it a replica. It's not a firearm, nor is it a weapon. It is a toy designed to replicate a firearm, but is designed to shoot at humans. Yes, I'm splitting hairs, but we are the professionals, and words have meanings. Divesting dangerous terms for the replicas does nothing but help when the non-informed are paying attention.

-Don't rely on replicas for accuracy - the pistols just really don't have the repeatability that even a .22 has. They're great for close-in work, going through the manual of arms, practicing the draw and mag changes, but if you are trying to aim small / miss small, these things will piss you right off.

The carbine I have, on the other hand, is surprisingly accurate, but of all the pistol replicas I've messed with, they are minute of bus at any real distance.

-Don't fall into the habit of using the replica like a mortar (fire a shot, watch it go, walk it in). It's easy to do. Work your problem, *then* go back and see what you did. It might work ok for you, but for me it translates right into firearms, and I catch myself dipping the muzzle to look for the hole....

-Airsoft replicas need oil. If you are starting to have issues, see if it is dry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is gonna sound nitpicky, but I'm just throwing it out there for food for thought:

- I'd leave the orange ends on. I have *severe* concerns when it comes to these things, because they are so realistic. Anything that helps me to understand the replica I am using is a replica, increases confidence and reduces mistakes. Also, if you wind up doing force on force or go somewhere to do some airsoft, you'll have to have it orange. Unlike the kids who are playing make-believe, there's no real reason for us to not have them marked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure on actual firearm training facilities using these for FoF (you'd most likely be using their equipment anyway) but I've never been to an airsoft field that REQUIRES orange tips.  

-Try to call it a replica. It's not a firearm, nor is it a weapon. It is a toy designed to replicate a firearm, but is designed to shoot at humans. Yes, I'm splitting hairs, but we are the professionals, and words have meanings. Divesting dangerous terms for the replicas does nothing but help when the non-informed are paying attention.

Or just call it an airsoft gun.

-Don't rely on replicas for accuracy - the pistols just really don't have the repeatability that even a .22 has. They're great for close-in work, going through the manual of arms, practicing the draw and mag changes, but if you are trying to aim small / miss small, these things will piss you right off.

Good point.  When running drills at longer across the yard distances I'm not too concerned about accuracy on target as long as I hit the target.  I'm more concerned about my movements and my use of cover and my reloads.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I've seriously been thinking about picking up a gen 3 G19 airsoft pistol so I can train more without burning through so much ammo. I'm already very proficient with my real G19 (and with handguns in general) so I'd mainly like to use the airsroft for running drills.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Have an electric AR I picked up at Academy on closeout.  The 11 year old can ping the metal fence post often enough to drive the neighbor's dog crazy.  Using the Academy bio-degradable 6mm.

Have a CO2 S&W M&P model that shoots fine, but he doesn't have the finger strength for the long simulated DAO pull.

He's not finished building all his Lego kits from last Christmas, so I'm thinking this Christmas will be Airsoft.  Already have a $80 crossbow from Rural King coming - 175 lb draw - that will take care of the squirrels in the yard.

Any inexpensive CO2 or electric pistols/rifles he can practice w/?  Not adverse to spending a little more @ Christmas, but don't want more than $150 or so, preferably in the $70ish range.  Just needs a decent trigger pull for 11 year old hands.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Been doing it casually for a few years now. Will try to add some details this weekend if I have time.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've seriously been thinking about picking up a gen 3 G19 airsoft pistol so I can train more without burning through so much ammo. I'm already very proficient with my real G19 (and with handguns in general) so I'd mainly like to use the airsroft for running drills.
View Quote

Good luck finding one in the US.  Here's a link to one from China.  Keep in mind the chance it gets stopped by customs is always there when bringing it in from out of the country.  You won't get in trouble you'll just be out money and a pistol if it gets stopped.

Gen 3 G19 gas blowback
http://armypanda.com/products/WE-G19-Gen.3-.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:52:58 AM EDT
[#46]
The M16 shorty replica just quit working.  It was working fine the other day, then the battery ran down.  Charged the battery back up, the gun cycles, but no pellets.

Someone said to put oil in the thing.  Where do you put oil?

It's a lot of fun to realize you can see the pellet drifting towards the target @ 300 fps.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, good for draw and fire practice. As mentioned by others it's not a good replacement for real dry fire.

Where it really shines, is with what it's literally made for, force on force practice.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The M16 shorty replica just quit working.  It was working fine the other day, then the battery ran down.  Charged the battery back up, the gun cycles, but no pellets.

It's a lot of fun to realize you can see the pellet drifting towards the target @ 300 fps.
View Quote

On an AEG not a lot of places.  It should have come with a plastic cleaning rod.  Put a patch on it and run it down the barrel a few times.  Do BBs fall out of the mag well when you take the mag out?  If not then the bb release on the magazine isn't being triggered.  The magazines aren't the greatest most reliable things in the world so you may be getting jammed bbs in there as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s864.photobucket.com/user/ScoutH57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032723_zpsm5mc6hce.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/ScoutH57/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032723_zpsm5mc6hce.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s864.photobucket.com/user/ScoutH57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032714_zps94qcbyh3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/ScoutH57/Mobile%20Uploads/20150811_032714_zps94qcbyh3.jpg</a>
View Quote

Use a loose sheet of burlap (or other heavy cloth, even a bath towel) on the back; it will absorb all of the energy of the BB without any penetration.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

On an AEG not a lot of places.  It should have come with a plastic cleaning rod.  Put a patch on it and run it down the barrel a few times.  Do BBs fall out of the mag well when you take the mag out?  If not then the bb release on the magazine isn't being triggered.  The magazines aren't the greatest most reliable things in the world so you may be getting jammed bbs in there as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a top feed.  The fake Aimpoint w/ the hole in it to aim with is the magazine.  The "magazine" that clicks in AR style is the battery.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top