Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2015 4:57:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I am having those issues right now.  I have readers on my desk, by the shitter, in the kitchen, in the truck, in the living room.  It is mostly for real up close reading.  I will admit I was having huge issues recently at the indoor range.  The range isn't maintained for shit and only a few booths have lighted shooting points and a light on the target.  Most have been shot out.  When I use a lighted booth and target, the sights are more clear.  Light helps a lot for up close, and the readers really help in lower light.  It really became obvious when I shot one hand, off hand and got a better sight picture and groups than I did two handed.  The sights were probably about 6" further away.  

An old timer once told me he went to his optometrist and told him of his issues.  This was one of those guys that always won the local long range BPCR matches.  The doc had him bring in his gun and adjusted his prescription for the optimal sight focus and down range focus.  My Dad while in his 70s shoots with glasses just fine, as he and many others have had glasses all their lives.  

I am getting close to needing to do something, getting old sucks.  

I can definitely see the advantage of a red dot in low light.  A laser makes good sense.  One of my recent acquisitions has a Lasermax guide rod.  All you need to do is put the dot on.  I know that there are mornings when I don't have a good focus for an hour after awakening.  I may need to put one on my nightstand gun.  My backup is a short barreled shotgun with buckshot, so there is an option for you.

One of my guns has fluorescent yellow paint on the front post.  It helps a lot, and I suspect fiber sights will really help a lot for light collection.  I know they really helped me for shooting trap at night.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 54 and have lasik so my far vision is very good.

My vision starts to blur at arms length and goes to crap in low light and closer distances.

I shoot without reading glasses since I'm not going to be able to ask bad people for time to find my glasses before I shoot them.

Yeah, my groups on paper don't look as awesome as when I wear reading glasses and my front site is crystal clear, but I would rather practice more how I might have to shoot in an emergency.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I wear no line bifocals, other than tilting my head up to use the lower part of the glasses which is a minor inconvenience at best. I have no problem with my ccw.

"Front sight press"
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If things go bump in the night, just barrel sight it.  It will probably be to dark to see the sights or the flashlight will blind you anyway.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
While being 26, I am legally blind.

Contacts.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am having those issues right now.  I have readers on my desk, by the shitter, in the kitchen, in the truck, in the living room.  It is mostly for real up close reading.  I will admit I was having huge issues recently at the indoor range.  The range isn't maintained for shit and only a few booths have lighted shooting points and a light on the target.  Most have been shot out.  When I use a lighted booth and target, the sights are more clear.  Light helps a lot for up close, and the readers really help in lower light.  It really became obvious when I shot one hand, off hand and got a better sight picture and groups than I did two handed.  The sights were probably about 6" further away.  

An old timer once told me he went to his optometrist and told him of his issues.  This was one of those guys that always won the local long range BPCR matches.  The doc had him bring in his gun and adjusted his prescription for the optimal sight focus and down range focus.  My Dad while in his 70s shoots with glasses just fine, as he and many others have had glasses all their lives.  

I am getting close to needing to do something, getting old sucks.  

I can definitely see the advantage of a red dot in low light.  A laser makes good sense.  One of my recent acquisitions has a Lasermax guide rod.  All you need to do is put the dot on.  I know that there are mornings when I don't have a good focus for an hour after awakening.  I may need to put one on my nightstand gun.  My backup is a short barreled shotgun with buckshot, so there is an option for you.

One of my guns has fluorescent yellow paint on the front post.  It helps a lot, and I suspect fiber sights will really help a lot for light collection.  I know they really helped me for shooting trap at night.
View Quote
I did this. Just my right lens needed to be special. I then took prescription to Walmart and it only cost $20 to replace the right lens in my old glasses.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If things go bump in the night, just barrel sight it.  It will probably be to dark to see the sights or the flashlight will blind you anyway.
View Quote

This.
ETA - seriously.  You will be shooting at close range, under pressure.  The chances that you will be able to line up your sights (even with perfect vision) for a shot into a small area on a moving target are virtually nil.  You will be aiming at the center of a blob - a moving blob.  And you will probably revert to a point--and-shoot mental state.  Chances are even more remote that you will be in a gunfight.  Even if the perp was armed, when he hears that first shot he will be trying to get away as fast as he can.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#12]
My problem is that my dominant eye is, after LASIK, my "distance" eye. I see 20/10 out of it, but it is better for distances beyond six feet or so, which makes getting the front post in focus a challenge at times.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wear no line bifocals, other than tilting my head up to use the lower part of the glasses which is a minor inconvenience at best. I have no problem with my ccw.

"Front sight press"
View Quote

Same here.  For defensive shooting, at typical distances, I'm not looking for that perfect sight picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top