Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2015 2:17:51 PM EDT
Has anyone taken any classes? Ive watched Travis Haleys Adaptive Carbine dvd and I have the old Magpul Art of the Dymanic Handgun.
I've done some CCW,  and advanced handgun and carbine training with a local outfit which I was very happy with, but they grew too quickly and it got to be difficult to get into any of their classes. They have since been sued by neighbors (this place is located out on a turkey farm that is, I would guesstimate, thousands of acres) and environmentalists so they have shut down operations for now.
I've looked into Front Site and its an option for me. I still kick myself in the ass that i lived basically an hour away from there for about ten years and never took advantage. Ive looked at classes at Thunder Ranch and Gun Site also. I don't mind spending the money on a quality class.

I noticed that Haley is offering both a handgun and carbine class about two hours from my home.
Its a three day course and for the handgun its about 500 rounds a day so I like the idea of lots of shooting. I would need to purchase some gear as i don't have a chest rig or mag holder for anything more than two spare mags. They also suggest elbow and knee pads (I have knee but no elbow but Im sure those aren't very expensive).

Any input into these classes? The cost is $800 for the three days. I may just do both the handgun and the carbine class.

I know he is very highly respected but just looking for some first hand experience.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't taken his class yet but certainly his would be one of the better ones.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I've sat in on two classes when he and Costa were doing Magpul Dynamics in the Miami area.

Last night I was looking at the HSP site at the classes in NC.

Given my past observations I'd be willing to go to NC for a class.

Two hours away?  I'm there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I signed up last night and made hotel reservations. I'm very excited to take it.
I'm considering doing the rifle class also, which is the following three days. But part of me thinks it may be too much to tske in at once.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope to take a haley class one of these days
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've taken his Handgun/Vehicle/Darkness class. And I can say without hesitation that it was the most informative, well structured and well taught class I have ever taken. (And I've been to my fair share with different instructor's) If you have the funds and opportunity to take his class it will be the best money you will have spent on anything gun related. I will be taking more classes from him in the future, this year however I will be taking Mr. Costa's Vehicle Elements Theory class. I hope to gain as much from Mr.Costa as I did from Mr. Haley.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I signed up last night and made hotel reservations. I'm very excited to take it.

View Quote

Congrats!  Very excited for you, please write up an AAR.  My friend and I just completed a pistol course with Haley's former Magpul counterpart.  I think that it was the single best purchase I've made in my entire shooting career.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I've taken the his D5 Handgun class and it was very good. Informative, structured, personal feedback, and good information for new and old shooters. I wrote a review/AAR in my blog (note that I was one of the beginner in his class). I highly recommend his class. There are many good shooters out there, but not many can deconstruct things the way Travis does.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've taken the his D5 Handgun class and it was very good. Informative, structured, personal feedback, and good information for new and old shooters. I wrote a review/AAR in my blog (note that I was one of the beginner in his class). I highly recommend his class. There are many good shooters out there, but not many can deconstruct things the way Travis does.
View Quote

Good write-up! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I have also taken one of his handgun classes. Skimp on the gear, you can make do with a ccw setup, or even a basic pistol belt with a double mag holder. With that said bring tons of mags to keep full and run through them as you go. I also looked at taking two in a row and am glad I did not. There is so much information presented in ththe class, you will continue to process it even after the three days. Much more than three days and your brain will hurt IMO. The most important thing to take is an open mind.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
wondering if you did actually take the class, and if so how it went?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
wondering if you did actually take the class, and if so how it went?
View Quote

sorry for the late, very late, response.
I did take the class.
It was extremely hot the days of the class...I think we had a high of 110 one afternoon. But even with the heat, it was a great class. Travis and Nate were very patient and helpful.
Lots of people claim that these guys are so 'tacticool', but in reality they don't teach any special method. They are big into body mechanics. They show how a healthy body would, mechanics wise, complete a certain task. If you have an injury you take that into account. It was very informative.
We did lots of shooting over the three days and we did some good classroom discussion also.
I was the worst one out if the entire group, who mostly consisted of LEO from around CA.
I liked it so much that I've signed up for the upcoming class in April which is being held in So Cal.
Feel free to PM me for a more detailed explanation.
But I feel it was the best money I've spent in terms of firearms spending.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top