Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2015 10:30:23 PM EDT
If so how was he? I'm taking MAG40 later this year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
He's a Paper Warrior!  Made his name studying forensic reports and reading books and info on real world incidents.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's a Paper Warrior!  Made his name studying forensic reports and reading books and info on real world incidents.
View Quote
He was a police officer, trained countless police forces. What have you done ?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have taken LFI I and II. Both were outstanding. He's a brilliant lecturer and teacher. Everyone in both classes were impressed with his abilities. Not one person was unhappy with him. One SWAT commander said he could have trained with anyone he wanted in the country and he chose Ayoob. He said some instructors know more, some are better presenters, but Ayoob is the best at both.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I took MAG 40 in Live Oak Florida last year, it was a great class, very informative regarding the law, the firearms portion is baseline, 20 hours classroom - 20 hours range (about 600 rounds), money well spent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm an LFI 4 grad.  I've had many instructors, big names.  Many people teach shooting, he teaches law, interaction with the police and attorneys, how to not get arrested and much more. If nothing else take those portions of his classes.  NO ONE else covers it like he does.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm an LFI 4 grad.  I've had many instructors, big names.  Many people teach shooting, he teaches law, interaction with the police and attorneys, how to not get arrested and much more. If nothing else take those portions of his classes.  NO ONE else covers it like he does.
View Quote

Me too.  1st  course LFI 4 grad from the old days.  I've trained with many.  No one covers use of force better.  Even if he is from New Hampshire.  ;)
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Another LFI grad here, from the old days when he first started, around 1982.  Excellent course, and he provides a very well thought out curriculum and schedule of live fire training.  You should read his book "In the Gravest Extreme" as well. It covers much of the course fundamental thinking and would make you appreciate the course more.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I seem to recall reading that he would testify for LFI graduates free of charge if they went to trial in a self defense shooting. Is that, or was it at one time, accurate?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't say that I recall anything about that, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he would.

ETA: For anyone interested, he also writes a lot of articles for this publication:

http://backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob153.html

Index of articles:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/author_index.html#mayoob
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I took MAG 40 in Live Oak Florida last year, it was a great class, very informative regarding the law, the firearms portion is baseline, 20 hours classroom - 20 hours range (about 600 rounds), money well spent.
View Quote

This. Enjoyed the class and it provided a ton of info that will help if you ever have to defend yourself with a firearm. Went and passed his instructor class for Mag 20 Range last year in Arkansas when the tornadoes rolled through however, I haven't had a chance to utilize it yet and assist on a class with him. With taking and completing the Mag 40, he stated that it included him as an expert witness for you if you were ever in court over a defensive shooting, as long as he felt it was justified. He has a lot of experience in the courtroom!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have heard the same.

He testified for a guy I helped teach... got him out of a murder charge from an overzealous, politically-motivated prosecutor (took the jury about an hour to find him "not guilty")
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seem to recall reading that he would testify for LFI graduates free of charge if they went to trial in a self defense shooting. Is that, or was it at one time, accurate?

I have heard the same.

He testified for a guy I helped teach... got him out of a murder charge from an overzealous, politically-motivated prosecutor (took the jury about an hour to find him "not guilty")

Now that right there says a lot about his character, integrity, and how he is seen by others not even in the "community."

As an aside, can you imagine the results if Yeager ever took the stand to testify for any of his students that would ever need him if they were on trial for a self-defense shooting?

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I took both the legal classroom and the live fire portion separately last year here in the Chicago area. Someone Mas trained taught the live fire. I just took the written test today to get the MAG40 certificate. Passed with flying colors. :)

I loved the legal class. Came away with 40 pages of typed notes from the weekend (I took my notes on a laptop). I felt it was well worth the money as I live in Cook County. I was the only woman out of 15, and one of maybe 2 or 3 folks who were not instructors themselves. The shooting portion really helped my shooting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is correct. He said it would be nice to get something towards travel expenses, but that was it.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another LFI grad here, from the old days when he first started, around 1982.  Excellent course, and he provides a very well thought out curriculum and schedule of live fire training.  You should read his book "In the Gravest Extreme" as well. It covers much of the course fundamental thinking and would make you appreciate the course more.
View Quote

Mas has a new book, called Deadly Force, which adds to In the Gravest Extreme. Talks about a lot of stuff that's more recent or more in depth. Good to give to people who can't afford to take at least the legal portion.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife is an LFI 4 graduate and I am an LFI lll graduate all at his NH facility. We have taken classes from Mas and become instructors for his program as well when we moved to Arizona and in both of our humble opinions there is none better in the teaching of the legal use of deadly force. His instruction in the use of a firearm isn't to shabby either. Well worth the time & $$$$.  If you have attended other "shooting" schools and don't want to go through a full MAG 40 you can take his MAG 20 classroom for just the legal portion. As I guess you can tell we highly recommend Massad Ayoob.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Recently took the MAG-40 training.  Money well spent.  My reference point of experience is retired Naval Aviator, hold two masters degrees, one in education and one in business.  Additionally, I serve as a local deputy and attended civilian LEO academy training.  As a degree'd educator I think I have the experience to say that Massad knows how to teach.  His application of the finer points of instruction are evident and I would put Massad Ayoob side by side with nearly any talking head in the gun industry and likely he would make them look like amateurs.  Guys with beards and cool tactical looking outfits (Imitation operators as I call them) do not hold up to experience and disciplined research.  

The stress fire technique Massad teaches makes sense and has direct applications in law enforcement, Military, and for the armed citizen.  If you want to roll around in the mud and have someone screaming at you all day making you feel like you are a Navy Seal in BUDS training, go somewhere else.  However, I find training that replicates the military experience to be best suited for someone who wishes they had served their country and would like to see what it would have been like if they had chosen to be a real warrior.  I think the snake eater gun training is overrated.

As mentioned in so many posts, Massad cannot be touched when it comes to the judicious use of deadly force topic.  If you carry concealed and have not youtubed Massad's pirated videos from LFI, you are not prepared to pull the trigger.  I fully recommend his courses and will ultimately attend the Lethal Force Instructor training and Stress Fire Instructor training.  Massad will not be here forever.  I'd strive to take advantage of his expertise while you can.

Rob
www.fastactllc.com

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Best deadly UOF lecture in the business....

If, due to money and time constraints,  you have to choose between his class lecture and live fire range class....take the lecture.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

meh....  he is a dedicated student of self defense and deadly use of force.

Can you perhaps name an instructor that has his depth of knowledge with regards to criminal and civil court cases on those subjects?

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd like to take one of his classes.  have heard nothing but good
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I just finished a MAG40 class. It was awesome, take a laptop and take plenty of notes. He does show some videos in his class, but answers questions after each video. His lectures were great and very informative, he has a ton of knowledge on self defense shooting and everything involved in the legal process.

After taking the class I would say that I will be way more diligent about trying to deescalate any potential situation that could lead to a self defense shooting. Also Mas got rid of a bunch of myths that I believed, like "never talk to the police."

Overall I think his class is well worth the money and would highly recommend it to anyone, but it's not really a combat handgun class. It's more of a crash course in self defense law, with a little range time thrown it for fun.    

I scored a 294/300 on the qualifier. I was using my G19 carry gun and was shooting Tula lol

- Clint
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I took a legal issues class that is run by his affiliate instructors. They use a recorded lecture of Ayoob. Great lecture. Would love to take a class with Ayoob himself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top