Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2015 9:46:06 AM EDT
I was wondering if someone could point out to me why some schools (Tactical Response comes to mind first) teach operating the slide of the handgun on reloads, no matter if the situation is emergency, tactical or administrative?  I'm not saying that they are wrong or right, just curious as to the reasoning behind it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean operating the slide to send it forward or cycling the action after the completion of a reload/clearing a malf/etc?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess the one that really confuses me is running the slide after a tactical reload.  If you run the gun dry, power stroke or slide release make sense.  If you have to clear a malfunction that requires the magazine to be stripped of course the the slide will be manipulated to chamber a round after inserting a fresh magazine.  However, lets say you engage a target and fire the number of rounds it takes to do the job.  Then you scan and asses the area.  After it checks out you decide to top of the gun, so you bring a fresh mag to the gun, swap mags, retain the old one.  Some instructors/schools would have you cycle the slide at that point, and that is what I am confused about. Same guys operate the rifles in the same way.

The only thing that I can think of, is that the above mentioned method would work with pistols that do not have designs that hold the action open after the last round is fired, and would eliminate the possibility that you could perform a reload and leave the chamber empty (makes sense in the AK manual of arms in rifles).  Someone please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Some reasons I have come across:

Works with all pistols regardless of where the slide release is located (not strictly true, just mostly)
Instead of learning two separate manipulations you train with one all the time
More positive ie you aren't likely to miss grabbing the slide but you might the slide release under stress

It is slower in my experience to rack the slide than to use the slide release, plus you add in the time to transition your support hand down for a two handed grip.  Manipulating the slide release with your support hand you are already in a two handed grip, and either in or close to thumbs forward.  I prefer to use the slide release but I see the merits to both.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
TR's purpose for racking the slide after manipulations, unless something has changed, is to insure that you have a round chambered.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TR's purpose for racking the slide after manipulations, unless something has changed, is to insure that you have a round chambered.
View Quote

Thank you. Now that I have an explanation, am I wrong in that it seems completely unnecessary?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you. Now that I have an explanation, am I wrong in that it seems completely unnecessary?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are one of the only companies I know of teaching that
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on who you're asking. 95% of trainers, and shooters who spend a decent amount of time throwing lead down range will tell you that is the dumbest thing they've ever heard. I am one of them.

If you're doing a tactical reload, your weapon should already have a round chambered and ready to rock. Why the hell you would rack the gun, lose a round, and risk having a malfunction is WAY the hell beyond me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it's ridiculous personally.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Depends on who you're asking. 95% of trainers, and shooters who spend a decent amount of time throwing lead down range will tell you that is the dumbest thing they've ever heard. I am one of them.

If you're doing a tactical reload, your weapon should already have a round chambered and ready to rock. Why the hell you would rack the gun, lose a round, and risk having a malfunction is WAY the hell beyond me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I agree this is unnecessary Tacticool operator ninja shit to look cool. Isnt this that james yeager douche nozzle?  Unfortunately he's lost me because I use a outdated unreliable 1911 that sucks and will fail so I guess I could never take 1 of his classes
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Never taught the "slingshot" drill on tactical reloads.
As othere have said, it waste a round and takes extra time to do.

Might be one of those things that got popular with those using underpowered training ammo.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, agreed very bad idea on a tac-reload. As an LEO trainer I would never teach my officers to do that. It is completely pointless, wastes a round you may need, and could potentially create a malfunction. Now for anything other than a tac-reload, we always tech rack the slide. Most guns don't lock completely back and using slide lock lever (the correct name for it) doesn't utilize full power of spring to chamber a round and racking the slide will. Plus using slide lock lever is a fine motor skill which greatly dimishes during an adrenaline dump; i.e. in a gunfight.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]
As a lefty running a Glock I pretty much only practice racking the slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top