Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2014 4:27:40 PM EDT
hey,

got a question about the slide.

since im practicing with a "modern" tight grip (where my thumbs are on the side of the slide and high) i always have a problem about the slide position when the last round of the mag is shot.
because of my thumbs pressing high on the side of the slide, the slide will stay in the front of the glock 17 (its like the glock is ready to fire) when the mag is empty.

in the past i used to shot with a weak grip and after the last round, the slight kept in the back of the gun.

most people count their rounds, and especially with a g17, when the 17 rounds are shot, they just release the mag.

especially in high stress situations (drills and "live fire") you cant count and always have to tap rack after the click to see if its really empty.

do you have any advice?

second question:
im right handed and have normal/long fingers. i installed the "L" grip on my glock 17.
the space between my fingers and my hand is very small, so my left hand palm always pushes away the right hand fingers...
any advice?

thx!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems that your strong hand thumb is riding the slide stop.  Don't do that.  Move that thumb slightly away from the slide stop and do not allow it to contact the slide.  I am not sure what you are asking with your second question but it sounds like your support hand is not turned down properly and too far forward on the grip.  Try looking for a video about grip by Matt Burkett.  It will explain it a lot better than I can during a post.  Essentially you need your support hand canted down at a 45 degree angle and the rear of the thumb/palm to fit into your strong hand leaving not space in between.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Try flagging your strong hand thumb outward like giving a thumbs up when gripping the pistol or try the overlap position where your strong hand thumb is on top of your support hand thumb out and away from the slide lock.

All in all it really does not matter if your slide goes back into battery after the last round is fired. In a high stress situation you will not know when you have fired your last round and will have to wait until your weapon does not fire to go into reload mode. No matter how good or experienced the shooter is, it is a fact that you will not know your round count during a high stress situation.

Most shooter will fire until the weapon goes out of battery and they notice it locked back or they squeeze the trigger and nothing happens. Good reload drill will compensate for you putting your weapon back into battery after the last round is fired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top