Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2014 9:45:22 PM EDT
SO I'm looking to move beyond basic bulls eye shooting, and I've been practicing multiple target engagement, unknown range, different positions etc, I have a home range so I get some lead down range when I can and have the ability to try different things. I've been reading about the Hackathorn standards and they seem like a challenge, but are they still relevant in terms of a good idea of one's skill level. I know nothing is perfect, but I can practice the Hackathorn standards at home, and test myself easy enough. Am I just wasting my time, or do you all think this is valid training?  Here's a link, http://pistol-training.com/drills/hackathorn-standards

Pistol training .com seems to like it but like Abraham Lincoln said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Hackathorn Standards I do not think it would be a waste of time. If you have a range at your house you could also practice the drills drawing your pistol from concealment the way you would when you carry. Do you have a timer? if not there are apps for your smart phone for free.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I do have a timer, and practice from my concealed position. Thanks for the input. This weekend I will what I can do, after plenty of dry fire of course.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
There are quite a few standards type of tests/drills and the Hackathorn is a very good one which is especially useful as a metric in which to track your own progression of shooting skills.  It is my belief that you should not drill any one standards type of test with too much repetition and should at times be run "cold" in order to get a more accurate assessment of where you are at and where you need to be.  

As far as the internet or more precisely pistol-training.com they have a very high percentage of knowledgeable members and highly skilled shooters with far far less white noise than many sites, especially this one.  Turning to that site for information especially in regards to handguns and handgun specific training is a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The Federal Air Marshal TPC (Tactical Pistol Course) is another good one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top