Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2014 7:29:01 AM EDT
Trying to fix what I broke in my shooting technique. I tried to change the old ways that worked for a more modern, tactical style that didn't. Anyway, I've been mixing two styles because I can't remember what used to be second nature.

I did fix my wild horizontal patterning by applying more pressure with my left hand and relaxing my right some, but my vertical stringing is bad.

This target was shot at 12 yards. One thing though, I do need new glasses or contacts, prescription and glasses are 10 years old, and with them on I can't make out the front sight, but with them of it's clear, but the target actually completely disappears, as in, a tennis ball at 25 yards is not visible.

There are 8 45acp rounds in the target. The others are 7mm-08 from sighting in a kid's rifle and his shots.

Gun is a RIA GI 1911, 239gr XTreme HP over 5.0gr Bullseye

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Normally this shoots to point of aim at 25 yards. I know when the gun went off, the front sight was on the bottom of that 1/4" sticker. Now, the front sight was fuzzy, but I didn't think it was fuzzy enough to where the actual sight was that far below the mirage ( for lack of a better term, look like several sights stacked on top of each other, blurry ).
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Probably anticipating recoil and dropping your barrel...

Edit: fix your eyes, if you can't see what you're shooting that is definitely the problem!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, went outside yesterday and affixed a one inch sticker to a paper plate, and hung it over the same target, same distance @ 12 yards.

This time did two things. I told myself to forget everything I've tried to use to improve my shooting, and just do it the was my dad taught me. Modernism be damned, we're doing it old fashioned 1950s-1960s FBI taught style.

So I squared with the target, closed my eyes, relaxed, and brought the pistol up to my normal natural point of aim, and then opened then. With no muscle tension in the arms this time I was on the plate, and it was much easier to stay on the target square.

The other thing, was after looking at how bad the sight was blurred, I took my glasses off. The front blade was crisp, and while the target square wasn't well defined, at an inch it was visible, and it seem evenly blurred ( before I focused on the sight- near sighted, bad astigmatism ).

Anyway, I only had to concentrate now on the front sight, a bit on left had pressure, and trigger pressing, since the stance was natural, though not tactically relevant.

I called one where I did break the wrist on, but the group is more than acceptable to me with this gun and my eyes.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on your age that front sight may never be crystal clear again.  I'm near sighted and the front sight is fuzzy with my contacts in.  I can see the front sight fine with no contacts but the target is blurry as hell exactly as you're describing.

My eye doc wrote me a script for a lower power contact lens that I wear in my right eye when I shoot.  Not perfect but the sight is a little clearer.

I've just learned to live with a  slightly fuzzy front sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top