Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 4:00:48 PM EDT
So while this is obviously a common problem with shooters, I figured I would bring my situation to the table.

In my agency we have to qualify a good bit, and our standards are considered higher for most places, but I have had some issues with all pistols that doesn't seem to go away. So while its not a sweating, throwing rounds off target, crazy anxiety, I rush the trigger and push them low left. When I have done dry fire drills, I will randomly do it and its so obvious. I am at the point where I know that 99% of the reason I cant max my tests is because of this anxiety. I will take the slack out of the trigger and slowly roll it back; well thats what I think I am doing, and If i am on the 20 yard line they all push low and to the left.

Its literally like ah ah ah pull the trigger, and by that point I am pushing them low. I dry fire like crazy with a dummy gun, but the minute that mag enters the well, its a different story. I am always on target and qualify above average. But my groups are not tight, and truthfully they never have been. I have so many hours on pistols but this problem is always there. Its like the minute my finger hits the trigger I HAVE to pull it after the double action pull and the slack is coming out of the trigger.

Let me know if you guys got any ideas.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do the George Harris "Wall Drill:"

With an UNLOADED pistol (this is my standard safety warning to everyone reading, so no insult intended to anyone's firearms' acumen)...

Place a plain sheet of paper on a wall, at eye level (to keep your wall clean). Un-holster your unloaded weapon and take your normal shooting stance so the
muzzle of the pistol is almost touching the paper (within a 1/4 of an inch of). Get the muzzle as close as possible without touching.

Now, dry fire while solely focusing on the front sight. Front sight only. Your goal is to press the trigger with zero (or as little as humanly possible) movement
of the front sight.

Do this for at least five minutes uninterrupted.

Take a break and then do it again.

Do this at least twice per week.

EDIT:

I know you said you dry fire, but try this drill and do it frequently; it should help you. Dry fire so much that your subconscious no longer distinguishes between live and dry fire.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
This drill really helped me. There are two parts to the video. Give it a try with dry firing then live.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Low left means you may be squeezing with your ring and pinky finger along with your trigger finger.  You can also try balancing a quarter on your front sight while dry firing.   Do not let the quarter fall even after hammer/striker is released.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
How often are you Dryfireing? Should be around 3 to 4 times a week for 10 to 15 min.

Next i would move to live fire with ball and dummy drill with some one watching your front sight.

After that its a mind game we all throw shots under pressure if we let it get to us, you have to learn not to let it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Concentrate on getting your master grip (firm grip on the gun with thumb and middle finger of primary hand) while dry firing.
Get your grip on the gun , and then try to relax you pinky and ring fingers to the point of loose but not off of the grip.
Find the place on the pad of you finger where you can get the straight to the rear pull(everyone's finger is different) and slowly squeeze the trigger through its entire length of pull. Don't take up the slack and try to hold on the wall before breaking the shot. You most likely won't do that during live fire anyway.
Keep the ring and Pinky loose and you will find it has lessened or completely gone.
I used to do the same thing (only low right since I'm a lefty) until I figured this out.
Most people, myself included at one point, grasp the gun with a death grip while drawing and firing in fear of losing control of the gun. If you use a proper two handed grip, you really only need the thumb and ring finger to hold the gun in your primary hand.
Also, as a side note, make sure you are not "costa-ing". What I mean by that is locking out your elbows in the iscoles stance and crushing the gun with your hands. A slight bend in the elbows not only is easier on your hands and wrists, but acts sort of like a set of shock absorbers to mitigate recoil.
Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the help. The grip thing is a good point, I have had more then one person tell me I am squeezing the hell out of the gun.

A lot of it is just in my head now, I know I go up and down so not enough consistency to build the confidence.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
hold your breath
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#8]
HAHAHAHAHA-I was just doing a training course yesterday and got to the qualifying section to finish up. One round of shooting was 3 shots standing - drop 3 shots kneeling. I had barley got my front sight on target when kneeling and let all three shots rip as fast as I could. I missed 1 of the shots. It's like I went full retard and got all on the trigger when I had enough time to take my shots wisely. We all do it my friend. That's why we train
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
What you are experiencing is the result of anticipation, and the anticipation comes from agonizing over your trigger manipulation whilst slowly taking the slack out of the trigger ("staging" the trigger).

You will beat this and achieve your goal by accelerating your trigger manipulation. You need to maintain a hard grip on the handgun while you do this. A strong and proper grip is an essential component of trigger control.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The trigger stripe drill is really great, that may be one of the best drills I have ever used in terms of improvement afterwards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top