Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
Quick background: I have shooting for a little over ten years. Most of that time has been on handgun. I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open. If I get out once a month, I'm doing good. Below are some pics of the last two outing I had in the last 30 days with my new Shield 9mm. All shooting done unsupported with gun in stock configuration.

First outing, I was trying to dial in my sight picture. 68 rounds of Blazer brass at 4 yards. 33 rounds shot at the X ring. The remaining 35 between the 7 ring and the head. A little faster with some double taps; hence, the groups starting to open up a little.

Target moved back to 7 yards. Another 50 rounds of Blazer brass shot. 45 rounds slow fire at center of target with a few double taps here and there. Target moved back up to 4 yards for the last five shots right hand only to the head for shits and giggles - no more than 1 second between each shot.

Second outing started with target at 6 yards and 50 rounds of Blazer brass. Last 5 rounds shot to the head at 4 yards right hand only - again - for (you guessed it) shits & giggles.

Target moved back to 8 yards and 50 rounds of Speer Lawman shot. Focused on the front sight only - wasn't really looking at the target just reacquiring sight picture and squeezing off the shot. I was not rapid firing, but definitely going a little faster than 1 second per shot.

I noticed my shots pulling more to the left as the target moves further out. I'm thinking this is because of my support hand, right?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I noticed my shots pulling more to the left as the target moves further out. I'm thinking this is because of my support hand, right?
View Quote

How far in the trigger guard do you have your finger? You may be "pushing" the gun over.
I've noticed myself doing the same when I try to speed up; I have a tendency to use less finger so I can get the trigger to reset quicker.
It can be difficult to keep up speed while still keeping the same finger position.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How far in the trigger guard do you have your finger? You may be "pushing" the gun over.
I've noticed myself doing the same when I try to speed up; I have a tendency to use less finger so I can get the trigger to reset quicker.
It can be difficult to keep up speed while still keeping the same finger position.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to be conscious of my trigger finger's position most definitely. I've always read that the sweet spot is on the pad and definitely nowhere past the first knuckle. I try to be conscious of not using too much finger or strong hand grip so as to avoid pushing the shot left. That is why I'm almost wondering if I'm not gripping with my support hand enough; hence, the recoil impulse is making the shot go left.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you ever do any dry firing?

You can do quite a bit to get better without firing a shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quick background: I have shooting for a little over ten years. Most of that time has been on handgun. I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open. If I get out once a month, I'm doing good. Below are some pics of the last two outing I had in the last 30 days with my new Shield 9mm. All shooting done unsupported with gun in stock configuration.

Do you ever do any dry firing?

You can do quite a bit to get better without firing a shot.

I do. One thing I noticed during dry fire is the tendency of the front sight to "jump" when the trigger breaks. I know this is the result of overtravel which is why I had the Apex Shield kit in my last Shield. The thing is, during dry fire I can keep the front sight centered in my rear sights. On a hot range with live ammo, and trying for faster follow-up shots, that all starts to go out the window. Plus, there isn't any way to dry fire a follow up shot, i.e. mitigating recoil impulse and reacquiring sight picture can only happen in live fire.

I could slow fire all day long to shrink my groups, but I don't think that will translate to better accuracy and precision as I increase my rate of fire. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe it just takes time. I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Your farthest target had one out and it was a head shot, not bad shooting. I shoot a lot and teach some, I always want to look for the positive and work on the rest, confidence in your skills and weapon are one of the most important aspects of being a good shooter. Shoot more and enjoy it, we sometimes want to shoot better so bad, we forget how much FUN it is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop shooting 50 rounds at a time on B-27s at 4 yards. If you want to diagnose and improve your shooting, you need to be shooting 1 to 6 round strings, evaluating what is happening and then taping your target. Use that target carrier switch, that's what you are paying Reds the big bucks for.

Buy or make some 4" dot targets and put them at 7 yards. On the first one, shoot the best 6 round group you can. Fire one shot, follow through properly and set the gun down. Stretch your neck, hitch up your pants, pick your nose, do whatever you need to do to ensure that each shot is a separate process from beginning to end.  After all 6 shots are done, this is the native accuracy that you are capable of that day.

On the next target, shoot 2-shot groups as consecutive pairs, that's 2 trigger presses and 3 good sight pictures.  Make sure that you see the sights correctly before you press the trigger, don't shoot on a timed cadence and don't shoot hammers, make them be consecutive pairs. Get a timer or a phone app and figure out what your splits are between the shots. It's a pain on an indoor range but you need to know that info.  (and write it down in your notebook, you do have a training notebook, right?)

Make sure you are hitting both shots inside the 4" dot. If they are outside of the dot then you are pushing too fast, the gun is not returning to the original position (not managing recoil correctly) etc. Fix what is not working.  If you need to bring the target back to 6 yards or 5 yards, do it.  This is all about getting you a baseline of the speed of the splits that you can shoot 2 shots into a 4" dot.

Make sure you tape the target so you can see your hits. I only tape the misses to save time. You don't want to be looking for hits while you are shooting the gun, check that after the gun is back down.

Once you know how long it takes you to shoot that second shot at 7 yards, say 1.25 seconds, try to decrease that time just a little. You still have to have a good stance, good grip, good sight picture and  good trigger control but you are doing it just a little faster. Instead of 1.25 seconds your goal is 1.05 seconds. If the shots start going a little wild, stop and figure out why.  Are you smacking through that trigger instead of a smooth press? Fix it.  Is your support hand not gripping correctly? Fix it.

Once you fix all the issues that the increased speed brought out, congratulations, you just got better, met your goal and are ready to set a new goal, say .85 second splits.

There is a real temptation to getting bored with this slow but steady improvement. I fight it all the time. My brain says "Hammer that target" and with perfect stance, grip and luck I can pull off a .35 split and both hits will be in. But 70% of the time, I miss.  All that I am teaching myself that way is how to do it wrong.

As your splits improve you can increase the distance, change from a 2-shot  to 3 or 4 shot string, maybe add a transition to a 2nd 4" dot.

The reason that I am writing so much about this that 14 years ago I was in the same place. Shooting at Reds ( It was called Cook's Sureshot back then) and wanting to get better. I had my CHL and was doing pretty poorly in IDPA. Until I got serious about setting goals and measuring my performance, I just kind stayed in a rut.

Figure out how much time, money and ammo you can spend on improving your shooting, set your goals accordingly, and see the improvement come.

Gringop
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Dry fire and take note of where your sights wind up. I think that it's more important to know where your finger rests on the trigger when you break the shot rather than which portion of your finger you should use.

At the point where you break the shot, your finger should be flat against the face of the trigger, not favoring one side as that will influence the bullet impact right or left. (mostly left for a right handed shooter...)

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoot Dot Torture

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

Start out at 3m, once you get 50/50 normally move back to 5m and then 7m.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, let me be brutally honest with you here. You're shooting what you're "good at" - group shooting at close range. It's fine to start, but you need to start moving back to at least 15 yards if you are serious about improvement. At four yards, your fifty rounds should make one jagged hole about the size of a quarter. Your groups won't look as pretty at 15 yards, but you will gain a lot more from your training.

Get some NRA B-8 bullseye targets (links below).

Bullseye targets

http://letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=B-8

http://progunfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/B8PistolBulls.pdf

Ball and dummy drill:

Shot on a bullseye target 15-25 yards

Load a magazine randomly with live round and dummy rounds. You should load them around 50/50 or so. You should not know what type of round is going to come next.

Shoot slowfire, with no time limit. Your only goal is accuracy. Concentrate on making a perfect trigger press while keeping your sights aligned. Ignore your natural sight "wobble."

When you fire around, follow through and continue to watch your sights as they settle back onto target. Reset your trigger. Before you look at your target, did you see where your sights were aligned when the shot broke? See if you can "call your shot" (center, high, low, left, right, etc).

If you get a CLICK (dummy round) DO NOT tap-rack right away - pay attention to your sights. Did your sights dip? Did they rise or move to the side? Your sights should stay absolutely still. Any movement in your sights will help you diagnose your problems. You could be changing grip pressure (sights move one way or another), anticipating recoil or "heeling" (sights move up), flinching (sights dip quickly down).

Track your "scores" out of 10 rounds and see how you improve over time. When you can keep all your rounds consistently in the 8 ring, you can probably move back a few yards.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to agree with these other guys, you need to move the target out to atleast 15 yards to start with, and then move it to 25 yards.

Get smaller targets, I like 6" paper plates.

Start with just pure accuracy, until you can put every single round on that 6" plate at 15 yards you should not be worried about speed. Once you can hit that plate on demand then start working on speed and Accuracy.

You can not work on speed with out a shot timer, go ahead and buy one. Without it you are really just guessing.

Dry fire, Dry fire, and then Dry fire some more. I shoot for at least 2 15 minutes times a week, and I really should be doing more.

If you start with a good dry fire program a couple times a week, then live fire once a month is not so bad, every two weeks would be better. I would be looking for a IDPA or IPSC club in your area.

Looks like You have a understanding of the basics right now, but if you want to push it to the next level then you are going to have to put in the work.

Alot of guys talk smack about what they can do with a hand gun but few put there money where there mouth is. Pistol shooting is hard, when you get a good grasp on that you will be a better shooter with any gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
The real question here is, are you trying to practice target shooting or defensive shooting?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top