Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2014 4:31:32 AM EDT
hey there,

since dawn of shooting, im using my right eye for targeting and closing the left one.
im right eye dominant.

im practicing with a glock 17.
when closing the left eye, everything (front and rear sight, also target) is crystal clear.

a)when both eyes open and focusing at the FRONT SIGHT, the rear and the target is doubled and blurry.
b)when both eyes open and focusing at the REAR SIGHT; the front sight and the target is doubled and blurry.
c)when both eyes open and focusing at the TARGET, both sights are blurry, BUT NOT DOUBLED.

a friend told me to use a), but how can i practice it to not see everything blurry and double with both eyes open?

thx a lot !!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
just place a blackout cover on shooting glasses
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Not much to add
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The way your eyes work is you can only really focus on one thing clearly. So for shooting you want to really focus on your front sight making it crystal clear and your rear sight and target will be a little blurry. This is true no matter if you shoot with one eye or both eyes. Now as far as getting used to using both eyes I found it best to start with your usual eye closed and focus on your sights and then slowly open your eye. You'll eventually get used to just picking your sights quickly with both eyes open. You can do this at home with an unloaded pistol and practice drawing and aiming at different things around your home.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Welcome. Post #1 I see.

Your friend is right - you want your front sight to be in focus, whether you shoot with one eye or two. You are always going to see some things double with both eyes open, but you can train your brain to ignore the "ghost" image with some practice. I would suggest putting a piece of scotch tape on your eye pro lens of your non-dominant eye. That may help your dominant eye "take charge" and make it easier for you to focus on the "real" image, and not the double targets.

Switching between one eye open and one eye closed while looking at the same target can be helpful. Put a target up on the wall and just do a dry fire "focal shift" looking at your target then moving your focus to the front sight, and back to the target, etc. Try it at different distances, with different sized targets. It can become more difficult when you have a few similar targets side by side and the "ghost" images all blend together.

I'll let you in on one more secret - while it's best to be able to shoot with both eyes open, it's not an absolute requirement. It gives you a better field of view, that's about it. There are plenty of GM IPSC shooters who shoot with one eye open. I personally will move between one eye open or both eyes open depending on the target, distance, lighting, etc. With good lighting, outdoors, I'll keep both eyes open all the way out to 100 yards. Indoors, with poor lighting, I usually have to close one eye once I get out past 20 yards or so.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
thx for the advice, im practicing every day, both eyes open with my airsoft at home.
works better and better. its still blurry, but im getting used to see the "important stuff" much more!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's another tip.

If you are shooting with both eyes open and you see double images of your sights use the image on the left if you are right eye dominant.  If you are left eye dominant use the image on the right.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't really sweat it too much.. An old SRT instructor told our cadet class in 2012
that in a shooting event both eyes will naturally pop open. Which I already knew but
the way he said it made me never forget lol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Practice and all of your double vision issues will disappear. I had the same exact issues you mentioned and committed to training my eyes and now keeping both eyes open is effortless.

That being said, it did take a while. Keep at it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Is this just a pistol thing or all types of firearms?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never understood the front sight thing.

When I focus solely on the front sight, I see two targets, and the target is so blurry I can't aim for a small spot on the target. Plus I'm concentrating on one point about two feet in front of me which makes it difficult to keep aware of things in the periphery.  

I find myself focusing on an area somewhere between my front sight and the target, perhaps two/thirds of the way to the target. It is easy for me to ignore the ghost front sight that appears off to the right, and concentrate my mind on the actual front sight to the left. I do pretty good with it and I practice once a week or more. When I'm shooting for a real tight group I'll often squint my left eye to help keep things all on the same plane. I would love to get some formal training so that maybe someone can explain this front sight focus thing to me because it just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
It takes time for your brain to ignore the extraneous information that causes a blur or double vision.

I went through a period of time where I needed an extra second or two for my eyes to focus sharply on the front sight.

During dry fire sessions, I would slightly close my left eye and get a good sight picture without blur, and then open my left eye up and try to keep that same focus and vision.

It takes a conscientious effort to get there, and I am still not entirely sure if that is the way my eyes look while shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top