Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 11:18:05 AM EDT
So I'm instructing an NRA Basic Pistol course this past weekend, come range time an elderly gentlemen pulls out his pistol to shoot. I'm going down the line to check pistols for safety and my eye about bulge out of my head when I see laying before me a COLT 1911 NM .38 SPECIAL MID RANGE WAD CUTTER.

How cool is that....naturally I had to shoot it and when it came time to clean the pistols....I broke it down and reassembled for the guy. Too fun. Never know whats going to show up at a class.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
They are sweet, if underpowered. I got to shoot a guys clark 6" .38 once.  The old one, when Jim Clark welded two
slides to get a 6" gun.  Probaby the most accurate 25 yd gun I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I was a student in a class; a older student brought in a 1911.  No biggie,  WRONG!!!

It was a custom firearm, done by I have no idea whom, for the Texas Ranger of the Year (sorry I forget the year, circa 1960).  It had aluminum stocks on it that were bowed out.  

The student dropped a round from the breach into the frame, it flipped inside the frame and was half in the stocks.  This was day 1 of a 4 day class, the instructors were running up and down the line helping people get unloaded.  I helped the student get that pesky round out.  I was told at the end of class by the instructors about the history of the weapon.  

Damn I should have gotten a pic and talked to the owner.  He may have been the Texas Ranger presented with that weapon, or his buddy that was there with him.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So I'm instructing an NRA Basic Pistol course this past weekend, come range time an elderly gentlemen pulls out his pistol to shoot. I'm going down the line to check pistols for safety and my eye about bulge out of my head when I see laying before me a COLT 1911 NM .38 SPECIAL MID RANGE WAD CUTTER.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=65375

How cool is that....naturally I had to shoot it and when it came time to clean the pistols....I broke it down and reassembled for the guy. Too fun. Never know whats going to show up at a class.
View Quote

DAYUMMMM!!!!  I'd love to shoot one of those!!!

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
How often did he have to stop and load mags?

If I remember correctly, that's a five shooter.

Never the less, that is one cool pistol to show up in class.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I know of a Texas Ranger colt for sale.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
When I took my HCP class there was a elderly man in a wheelchair that brought his "bring back" to shoot.
It was a Beretta .25 cal, looked like he picked it up that morning. He said it had never been fired since he "picked it up in Italy during the war"

I BEGGED him not to shoot it, I cringed with every round he fired
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice very Nice

38 special or 38 super?

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice very Nice

38 special or 38 super?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice very Nice

38 special or 38 super?

.38 Special. Wadcutter only.

*NOT MY PIC

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Correct....38 special wad cutter only....mag looked just like above.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
That's awesome.

It is an interesting round too. Wadcutter next to a SWC. Totally purpose built bullseye shooting round and gun.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That idiot scratch looks new!    

JK!    38 wadcutters have always been nice to shoot and punch holes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I had no idea that gun even existed...

Thanks for posting that OP....Always learning something.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I had no idea that gun even existed...

Thanks for posting that OP....Always learning something.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Idiot scratch?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Idiot scratch?
View Quote

See that scratch right below the takedown lever? That is an idiot scratch.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Idiot scratch?
View Quote

On the frame between the trigger guard and the take down/slide lock lever.
The scratch is caused by people being careless in reassembling the gun and dragging the slide lock/take down lever against the frame.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Yup...the scratch was there when I saw it...real shame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top