Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2014 1:13:19 AM EDT
A friend of mine told me that will training with Massad  Ayoob, handgun defence shooting that his hair piece fell off his head.
learn something new every day said he was a great instructor teacher in the way of the handgun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Massad Who...

A legend in his own mind!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in the next to last LFI4 class.  Since then I have been to many more classes and instructors but everything Mas taught holds up. His legal stuff is especially important.  There are other people who teach technique and tactics far beyond what Mas does, but the foundation from Mas is still solid.  The others I learned from did not replace or improve upon Mas' teachings, just expanded into more material.  It all was good.  In addition to Mas I can recommend John Farnam and Gabe Suarez.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been through LFI 1-4 too in the 90s and early 2000s.  I agree with the previous poster.  Everything I learned there has held up over time.  I've trained with many others as well.   I'd still recommend Mas - particularly in the area of legal use of force.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What's his "English" name ?? I don't remember...........
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Lethal Force inst is now MAG- Massad Ayoob Group.

The uber-tactical crowd usually goes a little apeshit because Massad isn't the newest, fastest, coolest, whatever.  And I've heard a whole bunch about his supposed arrogance.  I did take a MAG 40 class in August 2012, and thought it was great.  The actual shooting skills portion was basic.  Nothing super duper uber tactical, just solid basic handgunning.  And the lethal stuff was great,  Actual shooting skill is only a small part of defensive use of a firearm.  Staying out of jail, not being found guilty of manslaughter, and not paying out a $3,000,000 civil judgment are also parts of "winning' in a self defense case.  If anything, I found Massad straightforward and factual.  No bullshit.  And  did not find him 'arrogant.  Everything I picked up in the class was VERY worthwhile.

Some portions of the class are lead by instructors other than Massad.  I took my class through Defense Associates in CT.  While the massad portions were great, some of the other portions SUCKED.  This other instructo/clown Frank was terrible.  He spent far too much time posing.  The loved to hear his own voice. And worse yet, it was readily apparent he was in over his head. We'd frequently get conflicting information and range 'orders".

Example :  Frank: " Never, ever do anything until we ask you to.  Don't even load bullets in a magazine unless we ask you too. Range safety is paramount"."  Fair enough, I get that. But ten minutes later the range order is " Load and holster your firearm".  Ummmm,  should we have bullets in the magazines?  When we ask if cartridges are necessary, we get a smart assed response.  (But remember, we were specifically instructed NOT to load cartridges),  This sort of bullshit was rampant.  Get an order to do one thing, but when the firing line is confused (because Frank is incoherent, confused, or unclear), Frank would get his undies in a knot and get all defensive and abrasive.  I discussed this with some of the other range assistants, who are presumably familiar with the program, and they too were confused by Frank.  Everyone makes mistakes. It happens.  Unfortunately, Frank seems to have "I'm infallible" syndrome.  You know the type:  When confronted with a confusing situation and when you are in over your head, make up for it with a louder voice, and assign blame elsewhere.

I am a professional trainer.  One reason for my taking a class (other than to learn the class material and skills) was to observe a different instructor with a different approach, and to experience this as a student.  Doing this really helps you become a better instructor.  Massad was informative, frequently funny, and often outrageous.  Certainly never politically correct.  The local instructor clown Frank was probably the single worst instructor I've encountered in the past two decades.  And I've seen some truly shitty instructors. WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much posturing.  reminded be of a barnyard bantam rooster.  His info was frequently confusing or contradictory,  his responses to requests for clarification we met with defensive hostility.  Franks seems to have acute "small penis" Napoleon syndrome.

Mag 40 was worth it. If Massad is still offering this course in a couple years, I will repeat it with my daughter.  I think its great.  I cannot and will not recommend Defense Assoc in CT.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Mas' material is very relevant. He's one of the humblest instructors on the circuit.
You may disagree with his "crush grip" but you can't fault his legal knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Everything I learned there has held up over time. I've trained with many others as well. I'd still recommend Mas - particularly in the area of legal use of force.http://goo.gl/CvQRT0
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I just did MAG-20 this weekend - the legal classroom portion - in Chicago. Mas doesn't allow anyone to teach this portion. I found it very good and informative. This was the only training I've had beyond my IL CCL & UT classes. Out of a class of about 14 people, I was the only woman and one of the very few who isn't a.firearms instructor. Mas is very direct and no nonsense, which I related well to. Good solid stuff. I'll do the 20 hour range portion in the fall, taught by someone else.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top