Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2014 4:25:56 PM EDT
I'm at the point in my training where my basic fundamentals and slow-fire marksmanship are improving.  At 7 yards, very slow deliberate fire breathing and taking careful aim with each shot, I am able to keep most everything within the X and about a 2 inch or under group.  As I move out in range, the group and accuracy open up fairly linear until I'm maybe 6 inches at 25 yards.

If I pick up the pace, the fastest I've been able to control recoil and get a good sight picture and trigger press with each and every shot...is roughly one shot per second.  At 7 yards, one shot every one or two seconds, my group opens up to maybe 8 inches.

Each week, I have about 100 rounds (some weeks only 50) to practice.  I dry-fire train every day at home.

I'm having difficulty determining what I should focus on at this level, what are some drills and exercises to perform at this level, and how to determine when I'm ready for the next level, and what that next level should consist of.

At my skill level, what drills/exercises can I perform that will work me towards the next "tier" of skill, and what criteria or self-test-evaluation should I be able to meet in order to know that it is time to push to the next levels of difficulty.  Then, when I can achieve those criteria at those drills/exercises, drills/exercises should I be attempting at the next level and what criteria should I meet to advance then?

The limitations I have to work with are:  Indoor range out to 25 yards, no drawing from holster, 50 to 100 rounds per session, range rules are no "rapid fire" which I interpret to mean not faster than each second or half second or so.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Pistol-Forum.com and check out their Drill of the Week.

Lots of good stuff.

Also, the forum is filled with very good students of shooting, who are generally quite helpful.

Disclaimer:No affiliation other than membership.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  Good stuff there.  Thanks Feudist
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Your next step is obviously to find a better, outdoor location to shoot at. No drawing from the holster?? That's an entire IMPORTANT discipline to learn. Find a sand pit and practice some motion drills; you never know when you might need to move and shoot
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Smaller targets this will simulate longer ranges

Moving targets I have a target spinner that can clip to the target holder at my range

Left Handed and right handed two hand stance both weaver and isosceles

If your range will let you one handed shooting, both left and right

Induce malfunctions with snap caps

Low light shooting, use the flashlight even if you can not darken the room.  Check with your range, they might be okay with you wearing sunglasses or dark welding goggles to simulate low light

How many different actions of handguns do you have?  DA/SA, DA only, SA only.  Learn the DA/SA on a Beretta 92 or a Sig, you will learn lots about trigger control.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I also highly suggest filming yourself. I have footage of nearly every shot I've made and it really helps for self-assessment. This is my latest http://vimeo.com/89639187
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone.

With regards to the range, unfortunately at this point, I don't have much choice in the matter.  Finding a range near my home that allows drawing from the holster, shooting on the move, etc. is difficult.  I AM however a member of an outdoors club that allows such things, its just a long commute so I'm limited to once a month or so that I can go there.  So once a week I go to the indoor square range where at least I can work on accuracy and the focus on my fundamentals.  I can't draw from a holster, shoot faster than a round every half second or so, or move...but at least I can work on my fundamentals.

Then, as often as I can, I get out to the outdoor range where I can draw from a holster, move, shoot fast, etc.

My question was mainly about what are some good "standards" that I could appraise myself by so that I can know when its time to push up the difficulty.  For example, slow fire at 3 yards I'm making a little ragged hole so I push it out to 7 yards.  Slow fire At 7 yards I'm making a little raged hole so I push it out to 10 yards.  At 10 yards, 15 yards, 25 yards...my groups open up further and further.  I'm not sure what accuracy standards to apply to myself to know when its time to push it out.  What is "good" accuracy at 10 yards?  What is good accuracy at 25 yards?

Then, once I know that I need to increase the difficulty....What should I increase?  Range or Speed?  If you're answer is "Range"...then the next question would be...at what "range" and at what standards of accuracy would I know that its time to bring the range back in closer and start to work on speed?  Then, of course, the same question applies to speed...at what standards of speed and accuracy should i be shooting for at 7 yards, at 25?

Then, of course, as previously mentioned....finding drills and such that I can work on in a limited situation on the indoor range like that...that focus on fundamentals.  Right now, I just sort of start at 3 yards and fire 10 rounds slow fire and focus on getting the group as tight as possible....then increase the range and shoot another 10....and continue doing this  until my groups open up at which point then I'll stay at that range and work there to try and tighten my groups.  Thats really the only "Drill" I know in that situation.  I know I can also work strong hand only and support hand only with the same drill.  I've printed out some dot torture drills that I can do
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]
1Wolf,

What dry-firing drills are you doing?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Lets see....

The "Blank Wall" drills where I don't really "aim" at anything, but rather just am in my stance with the muzzle an inch or so from a blank white wall and I focus only on sight picture and pressing the trigger straight back so as not to disturb the sight at all.

I don't know the name of the other practice I do beyond just generic "dry fire" training.  I'll get into a good stance and punch out from high-compressed ready to aim at a light switch or other small object across the room and focus on taking a good sight picture, hard front sight focus, and good trigger press straight back.  Sometimes I won't punch out and instead I'll put a coin on the slide while I aim and dry-fire at the light switch to help track if I'm disturbing the sights at all with my trigger press.  Sometimes I'll strap on belt & holster and combine the above with a draw.  That sort of thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top