Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2014 4:11:00 PM EDT
Over the past year I've became perhaps a little smarter (just don't ask my wife)  and settled on the Glock 9mm platform for self defense and home defense.  I own other handguns for enjoyment, but the Glock 17/19/26 are my tools.  I'm working on becoming more proficient with them. I get to the range as much as I can,  have competed in IDPA, and I know that nothing can replace range time. The thing is, when I have a free 15 minutes at home, but not an hour for a range trip I want to find a way to squeeze in more training.   I've been debating between the SIRT and a Glock airsoft replica.

The SIRT (Shot Indicating Resetting Trigger) pistol.

PROS:  
Similar to Glock 17 in weight and dimensions
Near infinite reusability, the only upkeep is batteries.
Silent operation, can be used anywhere.
Lasers, yo!

CONS:
Slide is stationary, no tap & rack drills.
Not an exact Glock replica, online reviews say holster fit is iffy and real Glock mags fit sloppily in the mag well, there is no texture on sides of grip.
No Trigger safety as in a real Glock Trigger
Not glock sights (I've read that they're just a black notch + post, no white inlay)
With no recoil or feedback other than the laser, I'm afraid I would have a tendency to build bad habits like improper grip, looking over the slide, etc.

I'm leaning towards a green gas airsoft replica. (I know this is a Gen2 pic, I'd go for a Gen3)

Pros:
As close as you can get to an exact replica of a Glock 17
Functions very much like a Glock, slide moves, some amount of recoil.

Cons:
Moving parts = maintenance, cleaning, lubrication
Hundreds of tiny BB's littering the house and garage
Requires supplies - BBs, gas

Price would be similar considering I'm looking at the bottom-tier SIRT vs a good quality airsoft replica.  I've never owned an airsoft gun of any kind, so I'm not sure what to expect maintenance or reliability-wise.

Does anyone have one of the Glock airsoft replicas? Does it feel like a standard Glock trigger? Do they work when you need them to without requiring a lot of finagling and becoming a hobby of it's own to keep running?

Does anyone have a SIRT, and know why it would be preferable?  Does it really cost $200 to cram 2 laser pointers into a vaguely Glock-shaped housing?  To be honest I really liked the SIRT and was set on getting one until I saw that the slide is stationary.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Laserlyte and I'm pretty pleased with it.  You put the laser in your Glock, rack the slide and pull the trigger.  It cost $100 but I think it's worth it because I try to spend 20 minutes on trigger work and mechanics a night.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I vote airsoft but from what I understand glock airsofts are hard to find. I can tell you just from using a cheap M&P airsoft spring gun my groups have gotten so much better. Trigger discipline really shines through, and you have actual holes in a target to assess too
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless money is no object, I would just dry practice with your real Glock.  That is one of the best training aids you can have and is often the most over looked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a G19, shoot G34 and G35 in IDPA pretty regularly.
I bought a SIRT a few months ago, and have been amazed with the improvement is accuracy during the monthly matches.
I try to grab it and spend a few minutes on IDPA targets and some reduced IPSC, several times a day...  nothing regimented- just whenever I get a few minutes.
The SIRT also helps with follow through- by keeping the green stable after breaking the shot.  That was a huge eye-opener.  You would be surprised at your hand movement after trigger break.
Strong hand, weak hand...  all types of drills.
Fits all my holsters so I also practice draws- with and without concealment.

No white dot on the front sight post....  I put a dot of white fingernail polish I got from WallyMart- and presto-  white dot front sight.
I got extra mags, and mag and gun weights are about as close as you can get to actual gun weights with full mags.

I am impressed with the SIRT, and happy with the quick results. Money well spent.
Happy, Happy, Happy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a G19, shoot G34 and G35 in IDPA pretty regularly.
I bought a SIRT a few months ago, and have been amazed with the improvement is accuracy during the monthly matches.
I try to grab it and spend a few minutes on IDPA targets and some reduced IPSC, several times a day...  nothing regimented- just whenever I get a few minutes.
The SIRT also helps with follow through- by keeping the green stable after breaking the shot.  That was a huge eye-opener.  You would be surprised at your hand movement after trigger break.
Strong hand, weak hand...  all types of drills.
Fits all my holsters so I also practice draws- with and without concealment.

No white dot on the front sight post....  I put a dot of white fingernail polish I got from WallyMart- and presto-  white dot front sight.
I got extra mags, and mag and gun weights are about as close as you can get to actual gun weights with full mags.

I am impressed with the SIRT, and happy with the quick results. Money well spent.
Happy, Happy, Happy.
View Quote

Agree completely.  I have a SIRT Pro.  I added a set of old NS that I had lying around.  Great purchase!
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Pro Sirts for training on trigger control and follow through. I took them apart and switched the red and green lasers so the trigger laser was red. Then I bought an infrared reading target off amazon so that I could actually simulate target practice. It works pretty well. Unlimited shooting without the cost of ammo and no clean up. There are 6 different trigger pull settings in case you want to up the lbs on the pull.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw this on Youtube yesterday.... it may be something worth looking into!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a G26 Airsoft for indoor practice. It's fits my holster. The only downside is the little green BB's littering the floor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top