Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2015 8:23:54 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good outdoor range to me? It seems every range here is either indoor or outdoor and bans FMJ.

I'm looking for a range to do 100 yard load developments on and then anything further than 100 yards. Ideally I would like to find a 1k yard range. If I have to keep driving (3 hours one way) to best of the west I will. Obviously I'm ok with driving. Any input here helps.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
B-Tactical in Caddo Mills has a 100yd range and FMJ is gtg there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a decent place to shoot. Any idea if they permit prone shooting?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if they'd let you shoot drones. MG's, and large calibers are also welcome.

They do have a 300yard gong as well as a 100 and 50yd range in addition to the pistol ranges.

The only bad thing is that all you can do is bench or prone shooting.  They have an awning that prevents people from shooting too high.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I moved here last October, I found the public shooting range by Garland, it's pretty nice, and cheap.
Garland Public Shooting Range
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IceBerg1163] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By amprecon:
I moved here last October, I found the public shooting range by Garland, it's pretty nice, and cheap.
Garland Public Shooting Range
View Quote

Thanks but Garlands #1 Rule is:

"NO full metal jacket (FMJ) RIFLE ammunition to be fired on the ranges. Hollow-point, soft-point, ballistic-tip, and frangible rifle ammunition all permitted."

I'll have to pass on them forever.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By IceBerg1163:

View Quote
Yes, you can shoot prone.  They also have a 300 yard range with steel targets.

You should be aware the targets aren't 100 yards or 100 meters but a little further.  They have nice benches now. For awhile they just had flimsy picnic tables.  Most guys just pull the heavy wood bench back from the line if they want to shoot prone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

You should be aware the targets aren't 100 yards or 100 meters but a little further.  They have nice benches now. For awhile they just had flimsy picnic tables.  Most guys just pull the heavy wood bench back from the line if they want to shoot prone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They also make you "qualify" on the 100yd range before you shoot the 300yd gong.  Pretty good idea I think considering the terrain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunut] [#8]

View All Quotes

Jaq, I believe I have laser ranged their targets at 108 yards which is pretty much  a yard shy of 100 meters. You might remember meeting me, I had the Form 1 suppressor on a bolt 300 blk.

Regardless, I will be there tomorrow, Oct-3 if anyone wants to meet up.  Depending on when I feel like waking up I am going to try and make it there before 10am.  I will have my magnetospeed if anyone needs to use it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By svt40:

They also make you "qualify" on the 100yd range before you shoot the 300yd gong.  Pretty good idea I think considering the terrain.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By svt40:

Qual is literally a 3 inch, 3 shot group at 100.  Pretty easy.  FYI, its 5 bucks additional to shoot at 300.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By gunut:
Jaq, I believe I have laser ranged their targets at 108 yards which is pretty much  a yard shy of 100 meters. You might remember meeting me, I had the Form 1 suppressor on a bolt 300 blk.

Regardless, I will be there tomorrow, Oct-3 if anyone wants to meet up.  Depending on when I feel like waking up I am going to try and make it there before 10am.  I will have my magnetospeed if anyone needs to use it.
View All Quotes

I do remember meeting you!  I was testing another 1:6 barrel yesterday along with a 1:5 and 1:14 barrel.  Here is what my rangefinder showed.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I do remember meeting you!  I was testing another 1:6 barrel yesterday along with a 1:5 and 1:14 barrel.  Here is what my rangefinder showed.   http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/jaqufrost/20151001_164522_HDR_zpsukdhpmvj.jpg

View All Quotes

I do remember meeting you!  I was testing another 1:6 barrel yesterday along with a 1:5 and 1:14 barrel.  Here is what my rangefinder showed.   http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/jaqufrost/20151001_164522_HDR_zpsukdhpmvj.jpg

Weird man. I range it everytime I go out and always get between 108 and 109 yards.  Ill try again tomorrow if I remember.  I use a Newcon LRB 7x40 and my friend uses Bushnell ARC 1 mile and ours are always the same.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Hearing there's a very long range down by Waxahachie.  Alpine S of Fort Worth I think goes out past 100, as does Clear Creek N of Fort Worth, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Hearing there's a very long range down by Waxahachie.  Alpine S of Fort Worth I think goes out past 100, as does Clear Creek N of Fort Worth, IIRC.
View Quote

http://www.ettsgunrange.com/

I'm going to be out that way today so I plan to check it out. Thanks

Ill post my thoughts later today so it can be cached on the great and powerful google search.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:53:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunut] [#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
View Quote

I was there last month (ETTS).  Qaul is pretty interesting.  You must make hits on every target from 300yards to 1200 yds in order to be considered qualified.  The facilities are bad ass though.  IIRC membership is 600 yearly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I just got back, and must say that I will have to eat some crow. Jaq was right, the range seems to be growing.

This is the best I could do with my phone and trying to balance binoculars as well as trying to push 2 buttons at the same time.  I assure you that it is ranging the backer board and not the berm.  I verified it with a set of Swarovskis that Paul Reed had there as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
ETTS Looks like a solid place, and they told me their qualifier was to prove that you could put rounds where they need to be and that they cannot expect you to hit every target but you need to be in the ball park (berm).

It makes sense to me. How else are you suppose to train to hit 1k if to train you have to first hit it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
ETTS Looks like a solid place, and they told me their qualifier was to prove that you could put rounds where they need to be and that they cannot expect you to hit every target but you need to be in the ball park (berm).

It makes sense to me. How else are you suppose to train to hit 1k if to train you have to first hit it?
View Quote

I am just telling you my experience from a month ago.  They told me all they needed me to do was to hit the berm at every range.  That was not the case.  The proctor would not let me engage a different target until I rang steel. He did however let me start at 500 instead of 300 after I told him that I would guarantee a first round hit at that range.

Also, the range layout is kinda weird.  They have a standard torso target starting from 300 and going to 700 IIRC as well as MOA and sub-MOA swingers.  After 700 you have to hit MOA swingers all the way out to 1200 because there are no torsos.  It was a very difficult qual, but fun.  My proctor was named James, and he seemed to be a fair guy. I think I spent 25 rds going through all the yardages, with my first miss at 900.

Also, if you plan on making the drive, they do offer a first time visitor one time range fee of 20 dollars.  After that you will be asked to buy a membership at 600 per year or 60 a month.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Well, I just got back, and must say that I will have to eat some crow. Jaq was right, the range seems to be growing.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/clindav/20151003_112912_zps28acybot.jpg

This is the best I could do with my phone and trying to balance binoculars as well as trying to push 2 buttons at the same time.  I assure you that it is ranging the backer board and not the berm.  I verified it with a set of Swarovskis that Paul Reed had there as well.
View Quote
I'm just glad to hear my rangefinder isn't broken.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top