Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 9:27:48 PM EDT
Recently found out there is a rifle club near me that shoots at a local Marine Base. They shoot 600 yards and an occasional 1000 yards. The local sporting store has a savage P and a Remington 700 tactical. Not sure on prices but the Remington is $80 more. Reasons I like the savage are. longer bolt handle, magazine, and cheaper. With either I could one day see wanting to change the stock and believe the savage will have limited options.

About the scope how cheap can I go? I cant see having the money all at once and only see being able to do it with a cheap scope. There is a 4-12 center point at walmart for $75 and I would later move it to my 10/22. I also wouldn't mind buying a 3-9 redfield battlezone and later moving it to my AR. Anyway just wondering what would happen if I went to shoot with the club and came with some walmart scope.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Calibers?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I really think the Savage quality is better nowadays....
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
both 308 tactical models
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 3:51:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 R700's and I love them, but to equal a savage with the accutrigger you have to spend more $$ for aftermarket one, and to equal a savage with both accutrigger and accustock you're in for way more money. My next rifle will be a savage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Do yourself a favor and save up a few hundred for at least a Nikon. A cheaper scope may not hold zero for what you want to do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Remington 700 VTR with a Leupold 3-9x40 Scope on it.  I can bust beer bottles at 500 yards with ball ammunition.  You really can't go wrong with the 700 (in whatever model you like).  I have some experience with the Savage 10 and have no complaints about it either.  I don't think that the Remington buys you more accuracy with the same money.  If i could buy again, I would get the Savage.  

You can't go wrong with either rifle - but for the money the Savage is a better deal.  Both rifles are awesome.  

I wouldn't waste your money on a garbage optic.  I would look to spend at least $300-$400 on a scope. You get what you pay for and you will appreciate the quality if you shoot often.  Leupold has the VX series which is a pretty good value for the money.  It doesn't have the tactical knobs, but you can upgrade to that later.  

Nice glass is just as important as the rifle.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigkahuna48026] [#7]
Scope: SWFA SS 10x42 fixed power,  miliradian turrets,  with mil dot reticle.$300 from SWFA.com

Don't waste your time and money with Walmart optics.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with the Savage. I have the model 10 FP-SR and I love it. As far as aftermarket stocks there's a lot of options out there now!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cmalone1:
Go with the Savage. I have the model 10 FP-SR and I love it. As far as aftermarket stocks there's a lot of options out there now!
View Quote

I'm still looking for a Savage FLCP-SR, and will order one as soon as one comes back in stock!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of the box the Savage rifles are good shooters.

I also recommend to at least go with a Nikon optic.  Another inexpensive option is the Primary Arms brand scopes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Go with the Savage.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Besides a decent scope, you need good ammo.     Suggest Federal Gold Medal Match
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The Savage is far and better away from Remington. Besides...Remington may not be around much longer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bigkahuna48026:
Scope: SWFA SS 10x42 fixed power,  miliradian turrets,  with mil dot reticle.$300 from SWFA.com

View Quote
This.  They had some good sales at black friday.  Im assuming they will also have a good christmas sale..  Get the zero stop shim kit off of snipers Hide and youll have a great little scope.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JHans7663:
This.  They had some good sales at black friday.  Im assuming they will also have a good christmas sale..  Get the zero stop shim kit off of snipers Hide and youll have a great little scope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JHans7663:
Originally Posted By bigkahuna48026:

This thread is from 2013...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top