Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2013 6:16:19 PM EDT
Anyone ues any shooting mat, that ia any outstanding piece of equipment? Don't mind spending a little money in a good mat, but  don't just need a tacticool mat either.  

Going to attend a 2 day long-range class  to get the basics down, then hope to become proficent at some distance. - Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:40:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buoux] [#1]
I really like my current mat except for one particular aspect....

Those black patches of reinforcing material get really hot in the desert sun. If that's not an issue, this mat is pretty inexpensive - less than $35 from CTD. However, if you need something with more features this may not be the mat for you...

Danny
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Midway Pro Series
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276544/midwayusa-pro-series-competition-shooting-mat-pvc-coated-polyester-olive-drab

This is a larger version which gives you more protected area.

Per comment above, they also have changed the plastic areas on the mat to OD so they do not get hot like the black ones used to.

I have tried a lot of others, but for the price & features, this one is very hard to beat. If you watch they run them on sale every couple of months.

If you are looking at a bag/case combo, there are options like the Galati
http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/SM4812O.html

Warning, they can come with a stiff price tag.

It is basically a jack of all, and master of none. Unless you really need both features in one, I would use a separate bag & mat.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The Midway mats are hard to beat price wise for what you get. I have a similar one in tan but no matter the rubberized portions will still get hot, just not as hot as black.

YMMV and all that but for the occasional use those will serve well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My own opinion is the rubber is a holdover from their use in competition, and most casual shooters / bipod shooters are better off with a mat without it. It just gets in the way of shifting position, for anyone not pivoting on their non-firing elbow.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CC_GRAY_SHOOTING_RIFLEMAN_SHOOTING_MAT__W_O_RUBBER_-2664.aspx
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

It is basically a jack of all, and master of none. Unless you really need both features in one, I would use a separate bag & mat.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
View Quote

Said it best. i finally went for the Galati and it makes everything about shooting so much easier
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kharrison17:

Said it best. i finally went for the Galati and it makes everything about shooting so much easier
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kharrison17:

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Good call.  I enjoy mine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Triad tactical mat.  I'm very satisfied with it, but honestly, for my style of shooting, I could use a piece of canvas, and I'd be good.   Those Midway ones look nice, and they're cheap too.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the full spectrum solutions mat. It doesn't have much padding but its very light and compact.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly I just make them myself. I have 3 right now, all waterproof and all of different sizes and weights. I don't care at all about molle on the mat, or an accessory pouch built in or any of that nonsense, the only feature of a shooting mat that I think has legitimate tactical value is those mats what come installed with a rigid front edge from an internal dowel or the like. This allows a shooter to properly load a bipod using the mat as resistance.

that said, its a fairly easy item to simply add yourself as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
My own opinion is the rubber is a holdover from their use in competition, and most casual shooters / bipod shooters are better off with a mat without it. It just gets in the way of shifting position, for anyone not pivoting on their non-firing elbow.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CC_GRAY_SHOOTING_RIFLEMAN_SHOOTING_MAT__W_O_RUBBER_-2664.aspx
View Quote

Agree. a hold over from high-power shooters designing mats.Where you in  heavy jacket and slung up for 20 mins shooting slow-fire prone at 600yds.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#11]
i use typical GI bedroll. got it for .50 cents at a militaria show. been bringing it everywhere since 2006.
its my good luck mat.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:12:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#12]
If you can sew in a straight line, just make one

all it takes is some carpet foam (I use the spill-resistant stuff) and some nylon material

cut material to-size, then sew three edges of the two halves together while they're inside-out
turn it right-side-out and put your foam inside, then sew the opening shut

after that just sew across the mat to anchor the foam to the nylon material to help prevent binding

bonus: you get to choose dimensions and thickness of the mat, for pretty cheap

I still use a USGI shelter-half (tarp) every once in a while, they're readily available and super-cheap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top