Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2013 2:27:07 AM EDT
Gentelmen, I recently purchased a Remington 700P .308.  The rifle was brand new. I mounted a Millett TRS-1 in Millett rings and took it to the range.  I broke the rifle in cleaning after every round for 5 rounds.  I then cleaned after every five rounds for 10 more rounds.  At 100yds with cheap surplus ammo, I was not able to shoot a group of less than about four inches.  I am new to prescision rifle, but I've been shooting a long time and can shoot better than that.  I also tried to do my research before I started.  So, I took the rifle home, cleaned it well, and pulled the scope and rings off.  I checked the stock screws and they were all tight.  I pulled some burris tactical xtr rings and a vortex viper pa 6.5-20x44 from another rifle I own.  I mounted the rings and scope to my 700 and tightened them down with a gunsmith torque wrench (25lbs around the scope).  I used a reticle level to eliminate cant.  I took the rifle back to the range with some winchester wht box 147s and still couldn't get any consistency.  

Please let me know if you can think of anything I should try.  I didn't use the torque wrench on the base, but I tightened it down good and used loctite.  Should I tear it all apart and re-torque everything, or just shoot the sh*& out of it and hope it settles down.  I will try more types of ammo before I do anything drastic, but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:52:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chocolateisyummy2] [#1]
I would first get some match grade ammo either some 175 grain match bullets or 168 grain match bullets and see if groups tighten up.
If you want sub MOA groups cheap surplus ammo and Winchester white box are not the best options. I would try Federal Gold Medal Match.
try shooting from a rest or have someone else shoot it as well just to make sure it isn't you.
If it was still shooting all over the place I would try using a different scope just to make sure something wasn't wrong with the scope.
Also check to make sure the barrel is free floated and that something in the stock isn't pushing on your barrel, I doubt that is the issue though.
I really think it is the ammo or a defective scope or shooter error.
A 700p should be at minimum a MOA gun out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 9:11:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TDunn] [#2]
My troubleshooting guide for inconsistency is:

1.  Scope and Scope mount.  I have seen issues with both.
2.  Ammo - lose the cheap surplus and WWB if you want to get great performance.  Buy NEW match 168gr from a major supplier.
3.  Nut behind the trigger - get another GOOD shooter to put a few downrange

If you posted a few pics of your targets, we might be able to offer more help.  The R700 is more than capable of 1" groups at 100 yards out of the box.

NOT related to this problem but observations
Overcleaning or incorrect cleaning damages alot of precision rifles.  Make sure you know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  I'll get some match ammo and shoot it again with a buddy.  If I have the same issue, I'll post pics and some data.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the Remington Lottery!!!

Some rifles from the Factory will easily shoot sub MOA, some of them will struggle to produce a consistent 1-2 MOA.

Per above, run down the list on the rifle and check everything like the torque on all screws. Also make sure that your stock is completely free floated and that it is not flexing under a load. I have seen a number of factory rifles where the stock is making contact with the barrel at some point.

Also per above, you are going to have to run through a number of different loads to see what the rifle likes, and find the load that will produce the best results. I have been surprised by the number of recent Remington rifles that I have seen recently that do not shoot real well with the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 SMK. That is usually a good round to evaluate any rifle with, but for some reason, they just do not like it. In those cases we have had the best results with some heavies like the Federal 175 and the Hornady 178.

If you can shoot 1 MOA with another rifle, and this one will not do any better no matter what you try, send it back! As much as I hate to say it, I have had to tell someone to send back 2 Rem 700s in the last 6 months, because they simply would not shoot consistently or accurately. One of them had a bad stock, the other had a bad barrel.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:50:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#6]
Did you say you tightened the scope mount to 25 ft.lb. ????

The ring screws should be 25 INCH-LB.

The mount screws around 35 INCH-LB.

If your ring screws are at 25 FOOT-LB you are warping the tube.

Link Posted: 8/11/2013 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I always try known good ammo, such as Federal GMM or the like once I make sure the scope "system" is correct.  This should tell you a good bit.

Second putting another known good shooter behind the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
25 foot pounds is a BIT to tight for scope work! Not trying to hold rifle together with the scope rings. Surprised screw held the torque.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
General ball ammo is famous for lousy groups.  Military match should shoot around 1-1.5 moa in your rifle...maybe a little better.  Federal GMM will give you the best idea of how your rifle can shoot.  Try both the 168 and 175 grain ammo (there are 2 kinds of 175 grain, both good), to see what your rifle likes best.  Feeding your rifle crap ammo is like putting crap gas in a dragster and expecting it to run well...it is unrealistic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#10]
What were you shooting off of?  bench, prone?  Were you shooting off a back or bipod?  

Hard to say with the ammo you were shooting.  The first thing i'd suggest is what the others have...get some match ammo.  Get some Federal GM 175's and try.

If that doesn't help too much then it could be many things.  Could just be the way you are driving the rifle.  I see a lot of new precision shooters that don't know how to properly line up behind the rifle and it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
65 inch pounds for rings to base, 16 inch pounds for ring screws.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyF:

The spec for the trigger guard screws is 65 inch pounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TonyF:
Originally Posted By 93Heckler: I checked the stock screws and they were all tight.

The spec for the trigger guard screws is 65 inch pounds.

Per Remington if it's aluminum bottom metal its 45, steel bottom metal 65.   I always though it was 65 until I attended an Armorer class recently.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By 93Heckler:

Thanks for the input.  I'll get some match ammo and shoot it again with a buddy.  If I have the same issue, I'll post pics and some data.
View Quote

im sure someone already mentioned it, but basic troubleshooting generally always starts with scope and scope rings, then ammo, then ego.

finally althouh it  doesn't really hurt anything, 'breaking in' a new rifle is a complete and total myth.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#14]
If the scope had been tightened down to tight and warped, will it return to normal or always be warped?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Scope tubes, if truly crushed do not "spring" back into shape.  If that's what your asking.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Allentravis2:
If the scope had been tightened down to tight and warped, will it return to normal or always be warped?
View Quote
It's toast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top