Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2011 4:20:27 PM EDT
Day one at NRA I got pulled into a booth about appleseed and got intrigued. I've some some search and found IT'S TIME FOR A NEW RIFLE!!!!!

I've got a Henry but don't a lever gun is the way to go. I'm down to a 10/22 or a Marlin 795 and I know tech-sites are suggested but these old tired eyes need a bit more help. I regularly wear tri-focals so magnification is sure gonna help.

So for the two rifles mentioned above, what scope is suggested? I know a 10mm tube comes on SOME 795's but I'm thinking bigger is better.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By walt_l:
Day one at NRA I got pulled into a booth about appleseed and got intrigued. I've some some search and found IT'S TIME FOR A NEW RIFLE!!!!!

I've got a Henry but don't a lever gun is the way to go. I'm down to a 10/22 or a Marlin 795 and I know tech-sites are suggested but these old tired eyes need a bit more help. I regularly wear tri-focals so magnification is sure gonna help.

So for the two rifles mentioned above, what scope is suggested? I know a 10mm tube comes on SOME 795's but I'm thinking bigger is better.

Thanks

I used a 1-4x scope on my AR w/22 kit at my last Applessed.  Did much better with the optic than my first Iron Sights only AS.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:

Thanks

I used a 1-4x scope on my AR w/22 kit at my last Applessed.  Did much better with the optic than my first Iron Sights only AS.

I'm looking for specific make model please

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric10mm] [#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The marlins are said to be quite a bit cheaper than the 10/22's and just as accurate (if not more so).

However, some folks have had issues with the scope mounts sliding on the 795 receiver (I don't know why, they just complain about it).

If I was buying one now it would be a Marlin and I'd fix that scope mount issue one way or another.

As to scopes?  If you can find a 2.5X shotgun scope they work great.  the lower power gives you a wider field of view and still gives you the advantages of not having to focus on that front sight if your eyes need help.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a 3-9 Simmons on my bolt MKII Savage.  I used 3x for a while then the instructor said I should dial it up.  I had it down at 3x so as to minimize parallax issues since it is a fixed 100 yd focus scope.  I am not sure if it helped since I was getting better as the weekend went on.  I would have made marksman the first day had I not shot the targets in the wrong order.  I was moving as fast as I could on the sitting portion so I could get all my shots off with the old bolt gun and the high mag / small FOV caused me to focus on the wrong target.

All in all the scope helps, just need to be sure of your target.  Also make model is not a big deal.  I would go with a 3-9x40 as they will be the most versatile once you are done.  They are also very popular, which means you can pick one up for around $50 and be fine for appleseed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
For Appleseed, all you need is 3 or 4 power (or similar).

From the sounds of it, you are shooting a fairly plain .22 - so it is reasonable to conclude that cost is a determining factor.
That said, One of the CenterPoint 3-9x scopes at WalMart will work fine, at a cost of around $50.
If you use the Marlin 795, then please look into this scope mount, as the 795 dovetail often has issues, and scopes tend to "walk" a bit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks

I'm looking for specific make model please

Millet DMS-1 in a LaRue mount.  If you're wanting that kind of scope to use in other stuff, I would recommend taking a good look at the new Burris 30mm 1-4 for about $300.

It's a bit over kill for Appleseed, but I use it in 3-gun, so that's why I went with that setup.  I do want to build a proper 'LTR' out of a 10/22 with tech sights and/or a fixed 4x scout scope of some kind for future appleseeds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Walt,
 Having attended many many appleseeds may I humbly suggest you stick with a 10-22 unless you have an AR to use.  Personally I feel that training with a proper fighting rifle is not a waste of ammo nor time and much additional information and experience can be gained as a result of using same.  If you dont have an AR then this is moot.

I have had fantastic luck with Burris's 2-7x32 Timberline scope with the Ballistic plex reticle.  it is a fine "riflemans" scope and can be moved to a proper rifle if you so choose at a later date.  The scope runs less than $200 from Natchez and you can get some really nice deals on blem scopes from time to time as well.  IIRC the scope runs around $170.

I reccomend burris in this price class because of my experiences with them.  I think I have about 4 of them at this point and they have all given excellent service in field  classes and matches.

good luck and do well!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If you must use a scope for an Appleseed make sure it has no parallex at 25 Meters(27yds) . A scope with an adjustable objective will work great. Just remember YOU have to adjust the objective to the distance you are shooting. If you don't use an adjustable objective scope you will run into the same problems as shooting iron sights. When shooting iron sights your eye must be centered on the rifle behind the rear sight. Any movement to the left or right will throw off the shot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I used a Ruger 10/22 with a BSA Sweet 22 scope.  Worked out nice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Was lucky to have access to four M&P 15-22's for the family to use.  Made for a fun day, I used irons and I put dot's and scopes on for the wife and kids.  Made Rifleman as well and even cleaned standing.  (all with irons, my only cheat was using my HP shooting coat)
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a crap-tastic Tasco 3-9 on mine.  I kept it on 3x the whole weekend.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LonghunterCO] [#14]
I just shot my first Appleseed the weekend before last. Lots of fun. Shot a scoped 10/22. I concur with the above posts. An AO (adjustable objective) is important at the 25 meters that the AQT (Army Qualification Test) are shot at. I think that mine stayed on 5x magnification the whole weekend.
 We shot three AQT at the end of the last day and I shot 216, 238, and a 227.

-Scope was an Muller AVT (loved the target turrets were a real "nice to have" but not necessary)

One on the right (wifes is on the left). Had the trigger replaced and US GI sling added before attending.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#16]
My son and I shot our first 'seed with irons.  Him with a iron sighted 10/22 and me with the flip up irons on my AR.  I shot Rifleman and my boy gained a bunch of confidence in his own ability.

I recommend doing it at least once without optics.  The intent is to learn/relearn the fundamentals of marksmanship.  Never hurts to go back to the old school once and a while.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 9:00:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LonghunterCO] [#17]
Originally Posted By MSG:
My son and I shot our first 'seed with irons.  Him with a iron sighted 10/22 and me with the flip up irons on my AR.  I shot Rifleman and my boy gained a bunch of confidence in his own ability.

I recommend doing it at least once without optics.  The intent is to learn/relearn the fundamentals of marksmanship.  Never hurts to go back to the old school once and a while.

I agree but on the other hand those of of us with older eyes need the scope to really "see" what they are doing. That said I am setting up a 10/22 with Tech Sights to go at it agian.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup, definitely should do some iron sight time while there.  But, I agree, my eyes are getting worse, and I just do better with a dot sight or something.

I keep toying with the idea of building up a nice 10/22 LTR.  I need to get on that.  Would be a nice winter project, then I can shoot a Pat's Day AS and maybe finally get my Patch!
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful rifles Longhunter....

Aging eyes are something I'm staring in the face...not looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I know this is old, butAre scopes allowed, I thought it was irons only?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok thanks, I have both, just wondering which I should use. Can I qualify with irons, then Sunday use my scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have iron sights, and can see/use them then something like tech sights give you the opportunity to learn a bit more about sighting the rifle in that using a scope.  They should go over a lot of info on how to adjust either.  Many years ago Appleseed was focused on center fire GI type rifles.  The first one I went to was M1As, FALs, M1 Garands, AR15's, etc.  So using the GI type iron sights was how it was.  Later, when center fire ammo got so expensive and more people started attending, the .22 rim fires became dominant.  Also, at some Appleseeds you can't shoot farther than 25 meters anyway, so a .22 is ideal for the range, learning to shoot and cost of ammo.

I keep telling myself I'm going to attend another one and take either my SIG 556R or my SIG 522 (or both) but I just never seem to get around to it.

What you learn at 25 meters, with the .22, is applicable to center fire rifles at longer ranges.  Fundamentals are fundamentals.  When you learn to use the sling and set up a proper sling supported firing position you won't notice the recoil of the center fire rifle much anyway.  There is a difference in noise level and recoil, but you start "not noticing it" after awhile.  When you get "in the rifleman's bubble" they used to call it.

I saw a guy prone shooting full distance one day (out to 400 yds.) on a center fire AQT and a fly would light on his forehead and crawl around between shots.  The concussion of his M1A was making the fly go crazy (it would come off his forehead at each shot and fly around in circles a time or two in front of his face ad then light on his forehead again before flying off at the next shot - but each time the rifle went off the fly's flight path was more turbulent and erratic).  After the 10 shot stage was complete I asked him if he wondered what was crawling around above his eyes and he told me he had no idea that a fly had been on him.  When you're in the bubble, its just you and the sights on the target.  Everything else is just "static" you don't pay attention to.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:59:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric10mm] [#24]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#25]
So what's going on with Appleseed?  I checked a year or two ago, and it looks like the Midwest was having some serious issues with the instructors and the directors.  Pretty much all the events in MO and KS were canceled/not scheduled.

Without getting into the politics, has that stuff straightened out and I can start thinking about another attempt at my patch?  I setup my Marlin Mod 60 with tech-sites, sling, and one of those tubular speed loaders...
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know what is going on these days.

Unfortunately, every time a group of people grows to a certain size, it attracts a smaller group who want to be in charge and will do whatever they feel is necessary to get there.  I left it years ago when some of them started putting more effort into gaining control than into doing Appleseeds.

Its a damn shame people can't just do the right thing vs. running over other people trying to force their views/ways on everyone else.

Internal power struggles suck for air.

I run into some former instructors at gun shows sometimes and we smile, talk about the good old days and shake our heads over the politics that ruin things.

If they are teaching what they used to teach 4 to 5 years ago its still a very good training experience.  I learned a lot, more from one of the RBCs (5.5 days of shooting) vs. the Appleseed (2 days of shooting) and I'm a much better shot with a rifle for having been to that training.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't speak for what's going on in other parts of the country, but down here in Georgia Appleseed is going strong and we still teach the fundamentals.

At my home range (Georgia Mountain Shooting Association) in Toccoa we start on the 25 meter line.  Shooters can shoot rimfire or centerfire.  On Sunday the ones shooting well enough are invited to the 100 yard range with their 22's or their centerfires.  Then we let them shoot steel silhouettes out to 300 yards, which is the maximum on the range.

I flat out love it.

I love teaching good people how to shoot better, and I really love teaching the history.  With any luck maybe we can wake up a nation.

This year we're even offering actual distance shoots to students in Georgia.

Appleseed is a great program, especially if you want to learn how to shoot medium range (100-400+ yards).  The history lesson is also one every American should hear.

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#28]
It was a lot of fun.  I used to look forward to those February RBCs at Ramseur.  Made some of the August RBCs, too.  Used a lot of vacation time between them and the travel time for out of state RBCs (PA, WV, NC).

Hey, is Son of Martha still coming to the Toccoa appleseeds?  How is he doing these days?  Great guy.  One of the ones who was with it from the start (first RBC and helped teach the second one - the one I went to.  Him, Ornell and Jr. Birdman taught me a lot about why you do the things you do to shoot well.)
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry for the delay... Son of Martha is still around, but his work keeps him from most Appleseed events.  I've been to some instructor training that he gave, and he is definitely sharp.

The Shoot Boss in Toccoa is usually a guy who goes by Morpheus.  He's been in it for a few years, and is a GREAT guy.  His entire family is in it.  His daughter goes by Red Niva, and she's by far the best 16 year old shooter I've ever seen.  A lot of guys won't pay much attention to her because she's a pretty "little girl", but she's a great shot, and a really good instructor.

Down in Macon, Dublin, and Elberton, the senior instructor is usually a guy who goes by Dr. John.  He is a GREAT teacher.  He was Shoot Boss when I shot "expert" with my rifle, both at 25 meters with my 22, and at actual distance with my AR15.  A truer "Son of Liberty" you will not find.

You should come out to a shoot again.  If you liked it once, you'll like it again.  We'd certainly love to have you.

Take Care

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Got a CZ P07 at the gun show at the racetrack yesterday.  Went to the Black Creek Range after lunch to shoot it (I like it, its gonna be a great gun for me).  It was raining.  Not cold, just wet.

The range where the Appleseeds are conducted had a lot of cars in the grass and lots of tents set up for the folks that were camping overnight.  I heard the .22's going off every so often while I was there.  Dedicated bunch of shooters to set up and shoot knowing they're going to be lying in the wet grass/mud all day and might be going to sleep damp/wet when it gets dark.  I saw an old red and white Corvair van.  It had 1963 license plates on it.  Haven't seen one of those in a long time.  Don't know if someone was sleeping in the back or if they just hauled their gear to the range in it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#31]
A fixed 4x scope works fine on a .22.  You tend to get more glass for your dollar with a fixed power scope.  We have a loaner .22 with a $35 Sports Authority 4x scope on it that has a few thousand rounds through it (and many hours of gentle and not-so-gentle use) by now.  The scope's 1/4 MOA adjustments are more like 1/3, and I find it "wanders" slowly up about 1 MOA over the course of a brick of ammo (requiring a few clicks down to fix) but it has helped more than one individual get over the 210 bar.  Most budget scopes and rack rifles will outshoot their owners for some time.

Heck, for my SPR I started off with a fixed 6x Primary Arms optic until I can afford something really nice.

I got my first 210 with a scope and it does help if your eyesight is not great.  I felt I learned more with my Tech Sights though and it was a thrill to score the 210+ with irons, as well as apply the skills out at KD with service rifle irons at high power events.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
I don't know what is going on these days.

Unfortunately, every time a group of people grows to a certain size, it attracts a smaller group who want to be in charge and will do whatever they feel is necessary to get there.  I left it years ago when some of them started putting more effort into gaining control than into doing Appleseeds.

Its a damn shame people can't just do the right thing vs. running over other people trying to force their views/ways on everyone else.

Internal power struggles suck for air..
View Quote

I am pretty optimistic these days.  The program seems to be springing back to life in a positive direction.  Appleseed has been getting alot of exposure and positive feedback at the last couple of NRA conventions from the industry.   The Appleseed commemorative Marlin LTR is already showing up at Appelseed events and now a soon to hit production  Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary rifle in a LTR configuration is some pretty good advertising.   Appleseed will be making a good show at the June 27th-28th Outbreak Omega 6 shoot in MN which should be another boost to the program.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I used a Leupold 2x7 Rimfire in my first Appleseed last year. Worked great on my Ruger 10/22 with Fedderson barrel.

Shot a 243.

I'll be back for another one here in August. Great program. I promote it to most people I talk to about shooting and firearms.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#34]
So what's going on with Appleseed?  I checked a year or two ago, and it looks like the Midwest was having some serious issues with the instructors and the directors.  Pretty much all the events in MO and KS were canceled/not scheduled.

Without getting into the politics, has that stuff straightened out and I can start thinking about another attempt at my patch?  I setup my Marlin Mod 60 with tech-sites, sling, and one of those tubular speed loaders...
View Quote

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php

click on your state

right now, 6 shoots scheduled for MO
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Runnerman:

Sorry for the delay... Son of Martha is still around, but his work keeps him from most Appleseed events.  I've been to some instructor training that he gave, and he is definitely sharp.

The Shoot Boss in Toccoa is usually a guy who goes by Morpheus.  He's been in it for a few years, and is a GREAT guy.  His entire family is in it.  His daughter goes by Red Niva, and she's by far the best 16 year old shooter I've ever seen.  A lot of guys won't pay much attention to her because she's a pretty "little girl", but she's a great shot, and a really good instructor.

Down in Macon, Dublin, and Elberton, the senior instructor is usually a guy who goes by Dr. John.  He is a GREAT teacher.  He was Shoot Boss when I shot "expert" with my rifle, both at 25 meters with my 22, and at actual distance with my AR15.  A truer "Son of Liberty" you will not find.

You should come out to a shoot again.  If you liked it once, you'll like it again.  We'd certainly love to have you.

Take Care

View Quote
I did the appleseed in Buford this weekend, had all the instructors you mentioned there...what a good group of guys.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I did my first one with a S&W 15/22. couldn't pass, did it again with a 10-22 optics and STILL couldn't pass. instructor(don't remember forum name but he used to be national guard with me had just about every danm school badge you could get), looks at me and goes " when was the last time you went to the eye doctor..." I blamed the rifle, the ammo, the wind, target, shooting glasses, humidity, and finally boiled down to I had bad eyes. get glasses, go to a shoot, scored 242 with bulk pack federal. I was kinda like "uh... well uhhh..." SHOOTER makes 90% of the score, the other 10% is gear.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Appleseed in Alabama is excellent and growing.  I understand it's doing well in Georgia and Florida as well.  Got to shoot with a lot of instructors at the CMP inaugural event last year.  I'd prefer to qualify with irons before scope but notice a good mix at each event.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
SHOOTER makes 90% of the score, the other 10% is gear.
View Quote

Very true.  Any out of the box 10/22, 795, Model 60, etc  with a scope is capable of shooting a perfect score.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By goodnerd:
Appleseed in Alabama is excellent and growing.  I understand it's doing well in Georgia and Florida as well.  
View Quote

It is healthy in WI also.  We had quite a few either sold out or near sold out events last year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Interceptor_Knight:

Very true.  Any out of the box 10/22, 795, Model 60, etc  with a scope is capable of shooting a perfect score.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Interceptor_Knight:
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
SHOOTER makes 90% of the score, the other 10% is gear.

I also just got my 3rd patch, and fisherdawg asked me to go for assistant instructor. Ill be starting toward my 4 in 12 months Friday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkP] [#41]
Gf used this one in her last AppleSeed:
Hawke Vantage 3-9x40AO

Didn't score expert but she did improve immensely over her Tech-Site scores.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I still have to fo my first Appleseed. What type of shooting do you do
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AR69here:
I still have to fo my first Appleseed. What type of shooting do you do
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I shot Appleseed with a 3x9 Burris on a Marlin 60.  I used it over a 10/22 as I had a ton of time with it and it was more accurate.

However,  my scope moved the whole time.  After first night I took it off, cleaned everything,  locktite, torqued down.  Still moved.  Working theory is receiver heated up enough to soften the paint.

Still shot Rifleman at first event.  

My kiddo shot a 209.  He is still pissed, lol.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChemTrailZ] [#45]
Vortex 2-7 crossfire rimfire on egw 20 moa mount.

You’ll need the extended mount to mount to scope forward enough for prone eye relief, and the 20 moa will allow for using the scope at extended ranges when not appleseeding and acts to counter any factory barrel droop
Edit: good rule of thumb is to have the bell of scope no further back then the edge of the receiver to start, then adjust from there: you want the correct eye relief in prone as when you move to standing/kneeling positions you can Turkey neck forward for eye relief
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#46]
A fixed 2x scope worked very well for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Im shooting an Appleseed with my son this weekend.  He's shooting it with a 10/22 with a 3-9X scope, I'm shooting it with a 16" barreled Colt M5, with a Burris XTS-II, but I'll have a iron-sighted Noveske Afghan Recce upper, too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top