Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2017 10:34:38 AM EDT
I've been thinkining about this for a while, but now I'm building a house out in the country where emergency medical help will be at least 20 minutes away, so I'd like to get trained and equipped on basic trauma treatment. I'm not looking for anything complicated that should be left for medical professionals, just basic things that should be done until EMTs arrive.

16 years ago when I was in the navy, I was in the forward medical locker as my general quarters station for a year. We were trained on things like wound bandaging, tourniqueting, CPR, etc., i.e. very basic stop the bleeding treatments that bought enough time until the doctors and corpsman could help that person. Unfortunately I forgot most of it and was wondering where I could get training like that as a civilian.

I also have no idea what supplies I should have in my home medical kit, so I need something that could advise me on that too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact you local Red Cross.  They offer classes on First Aid/CPR, usually for a minimal fee.  
There are online training classes you can take as well, but, in my opinion, hands-on in a classroom is a much better learning environment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Dark angel medical does a great class.  It's spendy but a great class.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Contact you local Red Cross.  They offer classes on First Aid/CPR, usually for a minimal fee.  
There are online training classes you can take as well, but, in my opinion, hands-on in a classroom is a much better learning environment.
View Quote

When I think of term "first aid", the cheap kits with a few bandaids and alcohol wipes come to mind. Is what I described from my time in the Navy (bandaging life threatening injuries) classified as first aid and does the Red Cross training cover that?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spookfish] [#4]
If you're ever up in AZ I'll show you the basics of Trauma no charge. To be fair, knowing how to apply TQs, pack wounds, apply chest seals, needle thoracentesis, securing an airway (mostly with positioning) and then using a BVM would put you above the average EMT-B. All of this is pretty easy to do as well. Otherwise, look into some courses that provide a basic MARCH assessment. I like the course Independence Training does for this, but they mostly operate out of AZ.

Basic supplies for MARCH:

M- 2x CAT Gen 7 Tourniquets, 2x hemostatic gauze, 2x Z-fold kerlex
A- NPA, possibly a supraglottic airway such as a King LT or an I-gel. The Igel would be the easiest as its failure rate is low, it is easy to use and usually only doesn't work well in extreme cold or very hot climates.
R- BVM, Chest seals
C and H are limited by your scope, for the average person, a blanket and a beanie do fine for this.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangus] [#6]
Originally Posted By bcw107:
http://lonestarmedics.com/lsm-schedule/
View Quote
^^ That right there.

If you're in the DFW area, try to make the 2-day Medic 1 class.  Believe he usually runs 'em twice a year in the spring and fall.  He just had one a couple of weeks ago, so I'm guessing there won't be another until the Oct/Nov timeframe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking for essentially the same thing as OP. I'm in SE Ohio. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
see if your local FD or EMS service is pro-community and will sit down and give you some training

we do CPR and basic first aid classes for our community if they request them, if your guys are national registry and do a little formal paperwork, they can teach any level under what they are certified to do.

basic first aid sounds very weak, but in our situations we teach more from experience than straight from a book, we cover what we are suppose to and throw in a few things...lots of hemostatic treatment and blunt trauma
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
I'm looking for essentially the same thing as OP. I'm in SE Ohio. Any suggestions?
View Quote
active response training and TDI in ohio both have tac-med first aid classes that are well thought of.  if you have a link to the LE community OTOA is a great resource.  I'm in SW ohio but might be albe to put you in touch with some folks here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Wanted to give this a bump post-Vegas.  I have had the same thoughts: what can I do after the shooting stops?  As mentioned, the Red Cross offers basic First Aid and CPR, but where can get enough training to at least help the victim of a shooting until the professionals arrive?

Thanks,

JDG
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#14]
In on this thread.

I'm debating becoming a certified EMT just for this.

I'm always at the wrong place at the wrong time with all the gear I don't know how to use to it's full potential.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#15]
bleedingcontrol.org

I teach EMTs and that’s a good class for anyone that doesn’t stay up on bleeding control techniques, I use it for some CEUs for EMT/Paramedic.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Breathing
Bleeding
Shock

Now you have the basics. Everything else requires quite a bit more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Just a follow-up, I took the Dark Angel DART course this weekend, and it was worth every penny. Very well done, and I'm rehashing my kits now that I know what I ought to have in them and why. I highly recommend the course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top