Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2016 9:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvanWilliams]
I've started using it lately.  I've been very impressed.  I am shocked to see people using wikipedia at work when we have, no shit, access to
ClinicalKey
UpToDate
Micromedex
AccessMedicine
Lexicomp
and a online access to a zillion journals for free.
It's funny, I remember carrying a backpack to work so that I had
Washington Manual
Merck Manual
The ICU Book
A nurse's IV compatibility book----Everything is compatible in anesthesia, I came to learn.
Calculator----we shot cardiac outputs via ice saline--thermodilution---sent a mixed venous and and abg--
we then calculated all of the parameters with a calculator using a laminated card on our ID badge with all the formulas. Then we hand wrote them on the flowsheet.

The point of this thread is to mention some online resources and learn about the others that you guys use.

Now, here is the question---if you are coming out of pocket for a subscription, which one would you choose or have chosen, and tell us your specialty.  

Evan.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple hospitals I'm affiliated with pay for subscriptions for me. I use UpToDate and Lexicomp exclusively.

Emergency medicine
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Up2Date is excellent.

Poisondex is also good (part of Micromedex).

We should also have a section on the most worthless medical resources.

I'll start with the most badly-named book in all of medicine:  The PDR.  
View Quote

Doctor, I will have to call you out.  I know you to be an Emergency Medicine physician.  I dare you to deny that you have at least contemplated using a 1998 ed PDR (there are usually 12 or 14 old PDRs laying about) to beat a patient, colleague or nurse to death.  
How dare you, sir, call a PDR worthless.

OH, and for a dislocated shoulder, sometimes, when the doc is very busy, we would gingerly put the patient face down on a stretcher with the arm dangling. We would then put an old PDR or Harrison's Internal Medicine textbook in their hand. It would sometimes fatigue those shoulder muscles and pop the shoulder back in.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:
A couple hospitals I'm affiliated with pay for subscriptions for me. I use UpToDate and Lexicomp exclusively.

Emergency medicine
View Quote

I've been damn impressed with both.  UpToDate is awesome in that they update their stuff regularly and it is really useful.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
But how do you download it for when the internet is down?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
View Quote

You don't I would imagine. I have the clinical key app and UpToDate app on my phone. I guess with cellular service I would still be OK
I have some textbooks on my phone, ipad as well.  

Our computers at work, including those in the OR, have an enormous number of resources on them.
But, people still pull up wikipedia.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:

You don't I would imagine. I have the clinical key app and UpToDate app on my phone. I guess with cellular service I would still be OK

Our computers at work, including those in the OR, have an enormous number of resources on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:

We have had a lot of problems with the net going down causing the emr to lock up. I dream of downloading a full reference that updates every night and F the net.
We did just install fiber and it gotten better but in the land of manana everything gets fixed tomorrow.
We do have work arounds but its a PIA.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:

Emergency medicine
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I was able to get uptodate and clinical,key on my phone
Through work subscription
It works with no connectivity.  
I guess it updates every so often
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top