Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2016 6:44:10 PM EDT
Girlfriend is a foreign MD studying for the USMLE Step 2. She has already passed Step 1.

She knows that once she passes Step 2 (both parts) she needs US clinical experience.

Do any of the ARFDOCs have recommendations on where to go?

And what is the difference between a clerkship, an observership and a sub internship?

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a doc so, bump!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Most medical schools should have some sort of arrangement with places in the US to get clinical experience. A lot of programs use hospitals in the New York area.

Sub-internship is usually a rotation for a 4th year medical student to show they've mastered the basics of a particular field. In my class it was usually either medicine, surgery, or pediatrics. You basically did an extra rotation in that specialty and were expected to take on more responsibility than a medical student, similar to how an intern would get their own patients, write notes, write orders (or pretend to), etc. In my field we also take "sub-is" as a trial interview period when they're trying to match with us.

Clerkships are usually just your core rotations in third and fourth year of medical school.

I've never heard of an observership but it doesn't seem worthwhile to me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
They took er jerbs!
View Quote

Show me an unemployed MD.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Your lack of a sense-of-humor makes me sad.

I'm going to go back to my outrageously-sized FSA suburban home and drink a beer.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
They took er jerbs!

I'm going to go back to my outrageously-sized FSA suburban home and drink a beer.  

You aren't the one that gets to come home to a wife that is studying for exams and isn't happy about it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

They took er jerbs!

LoL

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:15:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EvanWilliams] [#8]

You aren't the one that gets to come home to a wife that is studying for exams and isn't happy about it.

View All Quotes

They took er jerbs!

I did nurse anesthesia training in Connecticutt. We were housed with the FMGs and some American trained interns.
There seems to be a fuck ton of FMGs and even Americans in overseas med schools rotating there.

Bridgeport Hospital.  

And she should expect to be pretty much despised in some quarters.

Some shat on the FMGs every chance they got. Others did not.  My best friend is an American trained doc. So, I'm biased.

Called to ICU to intubate someone---FMG at head of the bed wanting a chance--"get out of the way. Y'all called me." American med  student or intern? Frequently give them a shot or at least let them participate.

Others were not that way. I was nice to nice people but favored Americans any chance I got. Just being honest.

This was years ago.  

I do wish your girlfriend success.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top