Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2016 7:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommytomaso]
I'm looking for ideas on what to carry every day....
 I taken a few courses on first responder for shooting incedents and have some experience with cut truma.

...having an artificial leg that was designed to be very lite has left a lot of space to use...and easy to carry with out having to have a large medical bag attached ..

I already have a firearm,knife and flashlight,  but if say you had nothing but a poll from your knee to your foot how would you use the space?  

I have a list of what I have now but I'd like people that are more knowledgeable then I to come up with a list.   The main object is to carry the most aggressive items to save a life..    as it stands my prosthetic weights in at 6lbs and my old one was heavy at 14lbs and that was befor a shoe.

Once I have some ideas I'll list what I'm carrying. . (I'm at a bar and the list is in a IM with many interesting pics...lol) ...  

OK here is the list of what IM caring as of now.

2 chest seals

2 pairs blk med gloves

Hem-con seal bandage.

Olaes modular bandage.

Medical sheers.

Flashlight.

Tourniquet.

Israel bandage.

Trauma bandage.

8' ace bandage

4' duct tape.

Roll of gauze.

SOG trident knife.

Small mint tin.

4 surgical blades

6 water proof matches

aspirin.

If the hive thinks this isn't the right form let me know I'll put it in the general medical area, my reason for asking here is because of the audience that I think would read this forum.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AGW:

As much gauze as you can carry: kerlix, ABDs (like trauma dressings), 4x4s.  The most aggressive options are typically procedural items like instruments and sharps, and pharmaceuticals.  But what's actually going to save a life (or start high yield treatment) are the basics.

You're more likely to witness a cardiac arrest than be a game changer in a major trauma, though, so be sure to know where AEDs are when you're out in public, have a plan NOT to be a worthless gawker, and bring your endurance.  

View Quote
Yes thank you...and gauze is lite and packs very small..will do.

As said by the instructor in the last class I took...

"Hope isn't a plan of action"

I understand I'm more likely to come across an accident or cardiac incedent over a gun shot, I feel that my skill set and knowledge  is greatly limited for head tramas ,spinal issues and massive internal bleeding..and for cardiac issues I have basic CPR (wife works for PD so keeps me abreast of changes)

.. being I EDC a firearm my chances are higher, and I have available space for emergency items that most don't with out having a bag on their back.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By medicmandan:
And I thought I was the only guy that zoned in on things like that.  I usually check the model too, and if it's a Zoll I make sure the green check mark is there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Originally Posted By AGW:

As much gauze as you can carry: kerlix, ABDs (like trauma dressings), 4x4s.  The most aggressive options are typically procedural items like instruments and sharps, and pharmaceuticals.  But what's actually going to save a life (or start high yield treatment) are the basics.

You're more likely to witness a cardiac arrest than be a game changer in a major trauma, though, so be sure to know where AEDs are when you're out in public, have a plan NOT to be a worthless gawker, and bring your endurance.  

And I thought I was the only guy that zoned in on things like that.  I usually check the model too, and if it's a Zoll I make sure the green check mark is there.
I have taken notice of how far more prevalent they are in malls and social arena.  Have even seen them at town soccer games and schools...technology has made them very small and accessible.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Although I don't know if it would fit in your space constraints, a SAM splint is in my personal bag as an incredibly flexible piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Might I suggest a pocket mask for CPR?

Also, ditch the black gloves and get some white or blue ones. If you do a sweep with black ones and they're wet, you have to sniff or lick it to find out if it's shit, puke, or blood.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Yaakattack3:

Also, ditch the black gloves and get some white or blue ones. If you do a sweep with black ones and they're wet, you have to sniff or lick it to find out if it's shit, puke, or blood.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Voice of experience?

Not too big on EDC medical supplies. Know where TQ's are and how/when to use them. Better bet, real world, is take a CPR class. Focus on high quality CPR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

So true.

OP, keeping to this theme, if you are not trying to hide in the jungle, I strongly suggest you make as much of your med gear as high-vis as possible. Dark areas are very adept at eating your gear while you're not looking. Yellow electrical tape or fluorescent gaffer tape judiciously applied to certain items will keep them out of the maws of the gremlins that lurk in the inky blackness of night.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Great suggestions. ..switching blk gloves to blue or grey.....  CPR mask is a thought , thought processe was most CPR classes suggest chest compression over mouth to mouth .    Splint is possibly and consideration that I have only one leg would be very helpfull to myself if I was alone and did something to my only good leg.

I have 2 TQ's on me and 3 more in my car med bag.

Thanks for the input .
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By qualityhardware:

So true.

OP, keeping to this theme, if you are not trying to hide in the jungle, I strongly suggest you make as much of your med gear as high-vis as possible. Dark areas are very adept at eating your gear while you're not looking. Yellow electrical tape or fluorescent gaffer tape judiciously applied to certain items will keep them out of the maws of the gremlins that lurk in the inky blackness of night.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By qualityhardware:

So true.

Very good point......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top