Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2016 11:07:41 PM EDT
I have a BA, and MBA and last year got an associates in nursing.  I've started working in the ER for one of the large chains.  I just finished working with preceptors last week and was asked by my director when I would start looking into the BSN or MSN options.  I'll probably get the TNCC cert this year and they want everyone to get the CPEN certification this year.  

With the ER experience, a certification or two and a masters degree already will there really be any reason to get an MSN just because?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillyDoubleU] [#1]
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:
I have a BA, and MBA and last year got an associates in nursing.  I've started working in the ER for one of the large chains.  I just finished working with preceptors last week and was asked by my director when I would start looking into the BSN or MSN options.  I'll probably get the TNCC cert this year and they want everyone to get the CPEN certification this year.  

With the ER experience, a certification or two and a masters degree already will there really be any reason to get an MSN just because?
View Quote

You can't go management without a BSN degree in nursing. You may be able to do it in a non nurse related portion of the hospital but for the most part... No BSN, no white coat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Around Pittsburgh, most hospitals are looking to go in the direction of BSN or higher nurses only. One has just about put it into effect, with more looking to slowly follow suit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I want to say that all of the nurse managers and directors they have hired in the last few years have all had MSNs or MBA/MHA degrees.  Unfortunately we don't have any incentives for BSN nurses.  I think it's only a .30/hour differential.

Does your hospital have (or is seeking) Magnet status?
View Quote

Neither currently.  

Most universities will let me skip the BSN and earn an MSN instead.  But I don't want an MSN in education and it seems odd as a new grad to enroll in a Leadership/Management track.  There is some tuition reimbursement available but yes there is little financial incentive otherwise for the degree.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of push for BSN nurses came from the IOM's 2008 report To Err is Human.  IIRC, they wanted 80% BSN workforce by 2020.  They tie it to better patient outcomes (and reduced costs).
View Quote

Yeah they've been pushing for that for decades.  I can't seem to tell by working along side a nurse whether they have an ADN, BSN or MSN...
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:

You can't go management without a BSN degree in nursing. You may be able to do it in a non nurse related portion of the hospital but for the most part... No BSN, no white coat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

AHH. My wife is a director at a hospital and she does not have a BSN.  Most upper management at hospitals don't have a BSN mainly because many nurses don't want to be management.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Your MBA will get you in somewhere besides the nursing chain of command.
You will have to have a BSN at lest for a nurse manager slot anywhere besides BFE
An MSN is not necessary unless you are going to teach.
Your MBA will do fine and will slow,you to,apply for,positions outside of the nursing chain

I was an ER nurse and ICU nurse. I was a TNCC instructor. Got the CEN.

I see good things in your future.  

Read medical books. Washington Manual
Harrison's.  The ICU book ( eventually)
When time permits, go to radiology with your ER doc and go over the films with him.
Cover up,the electronic interpretation. On 12 leads.  Write down your interpretation.
Have your doc grade you.

I kicked ass in the ER not because I was good or smart but because an old ER doc spent time teaching me and gave me the above advice.  It served me well.
Oh and an old ER nurse gave me this advice. " don't sit down and you won't slow,down".

Check,out U of South Alabama for BSN or MSN
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thisisdudewhoru] [#9]
Here there is no pay difference in a adn and bsn staff nurse. Gotta have bsn for management here. Majority of RNs here have ADN(somewhere around 70% is what we were told).

I'm a ED nurse, gonna start applying for msn-fnp programs soon as I'll have my bachelor's finished in Dec '17.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
A long time ago there was push to make BSN the entry level degree for RN.  One state only made it law, that I recall, ND.  And, since then it has been changed back to AAS or AA. The NCLEX is the same test they all take.  Nothing wrong with education, but there are a lot RN's out there with Bachelors degrees in areas other than nursing. And, of course some positions require BSN like public health nurses.
If your employer has tuition assistance or reimbursement milk the system!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah they've been pushing for that for decades.  I can't seem to tell by working along side a nurse whether they have an ADN, BSN or MSN...
View All Quotes
A lot of push for BSN nurses came from the IOM's 2008 report To Err is Human.  IIRC, they wanted 80% BSN workforce by 2020.  They tie it to better patient outcomes (and reduced costs).

That is absolutely irrelevant.  

Cost versus payoff is what you are looking at.  The cost of the education + lost income versus what you'd gain from another degree.   That's it.  

My personal opinion is get a BSN.  More doors get opened, if you need that one day.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Justin3:

Around Pittsburgh, most hospitals are lookingher nurses  to go in the direction of BSN or higonly. One has just about put it into effect, with more looking to slowly follow suit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Justin3:

Around Pittsburgh, most hospitals are lookingher nurses  to go in the direction of BSN or higonly. One has just about put it into effect, with more looking to slowly follow suit.

Been saying that for years. 15 year ago, the ANA wanted a master's educated nurse behind every med cart... This was at the same national meeting that they wanted to investigate why the majority of med errors in nursing homes were made by LPN's.
You have an MBA, but you'll need a BSN to get in the hospital administration club (which is the lowest level of hell) or get an advanced nursing degree.
If I were you, I'd learn how to be a nurse before I worry about all that. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

AHH. My wife is a director at a hospital and she does not have a BSN.  Most upper management at hospitals don't have a BSN mainly because many nurses don't want to be management.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

I believe you, but that's not so much true anymore.
BSN's are a dime a dozen. A BSN is the starting point for consideration for administration at the majority of hospitals and you better be working on a master's of some sort after you get the position to keep it.
I'm an ADRN, nursing for 20 years. I am 48 and just started finishing my BSN I quit 15 years ago. I have no desire for a BSN but if I lost my current position, I'm back to taking care of patient's without it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
One hospital in our area wants all bsn staff nurses. They will hire an adn then make them sign a contract to have their bsn within 3 yrs of hire. I only work there prn. My main job is flight nurse. I have bsn, ccrn, cfrn, acls, pals, bls, tncc, atls, phtls, nihss etc because it's required for flying.  Keeping them all up to date is its own full time job. Flight nurse jobs expect and require national level certs and continuing education. They are big on you being able to take care of ANY patient. Working on msn/acnp now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

This.  It really depends on what your goals are longer term.  I also know there's a significant push toward BSN as a baseline degree, at least in hospital settings.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Depends greatly on location and specific facility. I'm an RN supervisor and I have a BSN. My boss is an ADN, as was the one before her. She also is acting CNO in the absence of the real one. I also fill in as House Administrator and some of the full-time ones are ADNs, some BSN, and one MSN.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#19]
So my boss approached me a few months ago and asked me to apply for night charge. I'd been doing it as needed for a few months anyway. But the morning it was brought up was the same morning I was turning in my resignation. Took a job as a financial advisor locally instead. Plan to go back prn once a year is up though. Loved the job but figured the long term is better with the new one.

So that's that for now
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#20]
So my boss approached me a few months ago and asked me to apply for night charge. I'd been doing it as needed for a few months anyway. But the morning it was brought up was the same morning I was turning in my resignation. Took a job as a financial advisor locally instead. Plan to go back prn once a year is up though. Loved the job but figured the long term is better with the new one.

So that's that for now
View Quote
good luck

my hospital was Magnet several years ago and of course all of us lowly ADNs were told we would need to have our BSN eventually. In our nursing strategic initiatives this year #1 was hire more ADN nurses. they found out that new grad BSN were mostly here to get tuition reimbursement for NP school and then off somewhere else. ADN nurses want to nurse.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SkeeterTZX:
good luck

my hospital was Magnet several years ago and of course all of us lowly ADNs were told we would need to have our BSN eventually. In our nursing strategic initiatives this year #1 was hire more ADN nurses. they found out that new grad BSN were mostly here to get tuition reimbursement for NP school and then off somewhere else. ADN nurses want to nurse.
View Quote
Well if they'd get rid of the tuition reimbursement and raise the base salary maybe that wouldn't be such an issue.  ??
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:47:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#22]
double post
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Well if they'd get rid of the tuition reimbursement and raise the base salary maybe that wouldn't be such an issue.  ??
View Quote
you have no idea how true that is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Would it be worth it for an ADN to complete an MBA or just focus on a nursing related masters? Or switch to an Masters in Healthcare Admin? Would that MHA take the place of a BSN like a more clinical masters like an FNP would?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
Would it be worth it for an ADN to complete an MBA or just focus on a nursing related masters? Or switch to an Masters in Healthcare Admin? Would that MHA take the place of a BSN like a more clinical masters like an FNP would?
View Quote
you still have to age a bachelors degree to get a masters degree. Most of the folks who go into admin have a Masters in public health or healthcare administration. Most who go into things like medical device sales will go the mba route.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 3:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#26]

View Quote
that's about right, or what the aim is.  However, I know a nurse (RN) that has a JD and avoids management like the plague, so other degrees can work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SkeeterTZX:
you still have to age a bachelors degree to get a masters degree. Most of the folks who go into admin have a Masters in public health or healthcare administration. Most who go into things like medical device sales will go the mba route.
View Quote
There’s places that will take an ADN + a non-med bachelors and let you do an FNP masters, bypassing the BSN. I hated office work and sales, lol, which is why I never finished my stupid MBA, but I just feel so silly leaving it so close to finished.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Nurse manager would need BSN is some places.  As the job posting would require it. So, HR would kick out any resumes lacking it

Jobs in healthcare admin ( who would be telling the nurse mangers what to do, in some cases) the MHA/MBA  would be good to go.

I think the MHA/MBA would be useful and you could end up being AVP or VP  though MSN people end up with those jobs as well
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:

Nurse manager would need BSN is some places.  As the job posting would require it. So, HR would kick out any resumes lacking it

Jobs in healthcare admin ( who would be telling the nurse mangers what to do, in some cases) the MHA/MBA  would be good to go.

I think the MHA/MBA would be useful and you could end up being AVP or VP  though MSN people end up with those jobs as well
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:

Thanks!
Best wishes!!!

I should have said, the MHA MBA could take you out of the nursing leadership chart. You might find yourself working in
HR
Procurement
Accounting
Public relations
Recruitment
Legal Affairs
EEO
Surgical services admin
Clinic admin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top