Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 4:25:01 PM EDT
I have been fighting this battle for a while now, and despite the coverage of about 80% of my body, I am remaining upbeat. I wanted to open a thread where anyone else dealing wit this can come and add insight, tips, or just commiserate in how much a pain in the ass this condition is.

I'd like to know about homeopathic remedies you've tried; meds, their efficacy and their side effects you have experienced.

Also, thanks Mods for creating the health sub-forum!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have psoriatic arthritis. The psoriasis is not that pronounced in %, but my head is pretty visible. It sucks to have it.  Going on 32 years now.

I used to use Dovenex cream until my insurance company decided it was too expensive.  I think it's over the counter in Canada for about $125 last I checked.  The replacement is Calcipotriene cream.  I liked the Dovenex better (it was easier to pronounce, too!), but the other seems to work ok so I haven't tried Canada yet.  It's just a pain to grease up once or twice daily (make fun of us sick people here).  I haven't noticed any real side effects from these topicals.

I'm also on Methotrexate for my arthritis, which is supposed to help some with psoriasis, but I never noticed it doing much except with the pain.  I did get really sensitive to the sun one year and burned quicker than normal, but that doesn't seem to be an issue now.  It is one of those drugs that's hard on the liver (it is a chemotherapy drug), so I have to have periodic blood tests to make sure it's ok.  It also can suppress the immune system a bit, but it doesn't seem to do that too much.

I'm staying away from the stuff that destroys the immune system right now because I don't think I'm bad enough to take that risk, but I've heard good results have come from that.  I also don't like to jump on the newest drug out there because those folks are just the Guinea pigs.

There's good info at https://www.psoriasis.org/ if you haven't been there yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JefferAl:

I have psoriatic arthritis. The psoriasis is not that pronounced in %, but my head is pretty visible. It sucks to have it.  Going on 32 years now.

I used to use Dovenex cream until my insurance company decided it was too expensive.  I think it's over the counter in Canada for about $125 last I checked.  The replacement is Calcipotriene cream.  I liked the Dovenex better (it was easier to pronounce, too!), but the other seems to work ok so I haven't tried Canada yet.  It's just a pain to grease up once or twice daily (make fun of us sick people here).  I haven't noticed any real side effects from these topicals.

I'm also on Methotrexate for my arthritis, which is supposed to help some with psoriasis, but I never noticed it doing much except with the pain.  I did get really sensitive to the sun one year and burned quicker than normal, but that doesn't seem to be an issue now.  It is one of those drugs that's hard on the liver (it is a chemotherapy drug), so I have to have periodic blood tests to make sure it's ok.  It also can suppress the immune system a bit, but it doesn't seem to do that too much.

I'm staying away from the stuff that destroys the immune system right now because I don't think I'm bad enough to take that risk, but I've heard good results have come from that.  I also don't like to jump on the newest drug out there because those folks are just the Guinea pigs.

There's good info at https://www.psoriasis.org/ if you haven't been there yet.
View Quote
Yep, that's a good site. I used the Dovonex ointment (the really greasy feeling stuff) until they discontinued it. The cream never worked as well. The ointment was the thing though! I saw more clearing than with any other topical.

I am currently on the two week on two week off CLobetasol topical.

I did talk to a lady who went on the new Otezla; she had really good things to say about it. I am like you though, I am leery of the potential side effects of the immunosuppressants.

I have not developed joint issues; my derm keeps checking though.

Sorry about your PA, that stuff really sux.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry man! 80% !

I have had a touch on my knees, elbows, and scalp for 20 years. I could not imagine your condition. I count my blessings.

Sure hope you can find some relief.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I get a little bit from time to time on one of my hands.
In yalls experience,  does it get worse as you age?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
^ Not for me and the people I know. Comes and goes.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
See above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top