Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 1:37:42 AM EDT
Inspecting a fresh wound (gash/slash/stab) - how to determine severity and best treatment?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
location, length, depth. amount of bleeding ,  color of blood .   risks of infection , mechanism of injury ,
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget that if it is a kid, mom and dad think she is going to be the next miss universe so they will request that a "plastic surgeon" close the scratch
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:56:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:
Don't forget that if it is a kid, mom and dad think she is going to be the next miss universe so they will request that a "plastic surgeon" close the scratch
View Quote

To be fair, I've seen a few horrendously ugly jobs that GPs have done stitching up kids.  One dude I knew had an eyebrow that stopped, jogged up a solid quarter inch, then continued along because the GP didn't even bother to line the two halves of the eyebrow up before stitching the laceration.  

I'm sure that docs like that are the extreme minority, but the fear of their kid looking like that is what drives most parents to that request.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

To be fair, I've seen a few horrendously ugly jobs that GPs have done stitching up kids.  One dude I knew had an eyebrow that stopped, jogged up a solid quarter inch, then continued along because the GP didn't even bother to line the two halves of the eyebrow up before stitching the laceration.  

I'm sure that docs like that are the extreme minority, but the fear of their kid looking like that is what drives most parents to that request.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Understood

I fell,when I was two and got an eyebrow lac.    Of course, they took me to the doctor's office.  
An old GP.  You can't even see a hint of scar.    But that was back when a GP did some basic  surgery as well
Nowadays, I would want an ER doc or surgeon suturing a face lad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Understood

I fell,when I was two and got an eyebrow lac.    Of course, they took me to the doctor's office.  
An old GP.  You can't even see a hint of scar.    But that was back when a GP did some basic  surgery as well
View All Quotes

Understood

Yeah, my daughter got a good one on her forehead.... Nice and deep, and the pull off the skin kept it gaping.  Regular Pediatrician stitched it up, we took the stitches out on time, kept it from UV exposure after, and even knowing that it's there, it takes a bit of looking to be able to find/see it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Truth.
View All Quotes

Truth.
And when they decide to leave your clinic/ER and go to the children's hospital, the Peds ER is gonna call the intern on the plastics service to do the suturing. Compare this to a veteran ER doc who has sewn up thousands of people.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Avulsion should be considered
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Also have to consider the capabilities of your knowledge and equipment. You need to know when something is out of the realm of your abilities and/or those of the equipment that you have, and seek help/higher level of care.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eastonj:
And when they decide to leave your clinic/ER and go to the children's hospital, the Peds ER is gonna call the intern on the plastics service to do the suturing. Compare this to a veteran ER doc who has sewn up thousands of people.  
View All Quotes

Truth.

In July
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]

In July
View All Quotes

Truth.

In July

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top