Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2016 3:19:25 AM EDT
I just got an AR15 A2 with iron sights and havent sighted it in yet.Was planning on using it in a 3-gun match,2-Gun etc.What would be the best zero distance to sight it in at.Also would the Large aperature or the small aperature be used for zeroing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 26120:
I just got an AR15 A2 with iron sights and havent sighted it in yet.Was planning on using it in a 3-gun match,2-Gun etc.What would be the best zero distance to sight it in at.Also would the Large aperature or the small aperature be used for zeroing.
View Quote

Obviously iron sights for 3 gun is less than ideal.  Im not sure what kind of matches you are shooting but you may have a hard time hitting anything out past 400 on the first shot because there is no reference for holds if you have to hold off the target.  Save your pennies and get a good optic.

But for now, you need to zero at 200m/yards, whatever you prefer.  Not 50....200. get a spotting scope and shoot at 200 until you are keeping the groups as tight as you are capable of with those sights.  Your zero at 200 will allow you to more or less hold center mass on all the big c-zone size steel everywhere from 25-300.  what ammo will you be using?  you can run the ballistics on any number of free online calculators so you know the bullet drops and your hold at varying distances.

you use the small aperture.  the large one is for low light or reduced visibility.

good luck
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I usually use an AR or Tavor with optics.Just wanted to try something new.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for it!  Irons are fun.

When I shot limited, I bought a KNS cross hair front sight, pulled out the cross hair wires, and soldered in a SKINNY single vertical wire.

Up close just looked through the rear+front aperture.

Long distance I used the super skinny front post as normal.

With an A2 rear you can quickly dial if necessary.

Otherwise irons requires a different zero than optics.  Usually more like a 300 than 200.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to see a few iron sight guys once in a while but now it's largely died off ever since Red Dots were allowed in Limited/Tac Irons Class.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
When I used a 20" A2 I zeroed for 50/200 yards. Rifle matches barley went past 200 yards back them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top