Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 12:10:25 PM EDT
Will a 20 gauge shotgun suffice for 3 gun competitions as well as HD?  I don't own a shotgun--I shoot mostly pistol and carbine, but I would like to pick one up so I can start participating in local 3 gun meets.  (If anyone knows of 2 gun in the Houston area, please advise).  I want to go the 20 gauge route simply due to the lessened recoil.  I would also like to go with a 18" barrel if possible for a more compact, lightweight rig.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
JMO, you will be better off with a 12. More ammo available, and if you look at the lighter 12 ga loads recoil is about the same.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife runs a 20 gauge M2 for three gun. We shoot some pretty major matches (FN, Rockcastle pro am, Benelli shotgun championship) and she has never been for want of a 12 gauge. I've seen her clear Texas stars and spin spinners that other competitors had major problems with.

Its super light, super fast, low recoil and just plain feels good in your hands. She's had a lot of competitors both Male and Female stop to ask her if it s a 20 and to watch how it performs.  

Its kind of funny when she hands it to the RO to get her pistol ready for a stage... first you get holy shit this is light!, then they watch her shoot, then they ask if they can try is out after the match...

As for home defense #3 buck from a 20 is some pretty wicked stuff.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
No 3 gun experience, but my hd gun is a 20 ga 870 with a 20" rifle-sight/cylinder bore barrel.
Good, cheap ($250 with two bbls at a pawn shop) gun.
Wasn't too thrilled with the idea of using the smaller buck sizes for home defense and found a source for 9 pellet #1 buck. Also good stuff.
My shells are Rio Royal, but looks like a very similar load
sgammo 20ga #1 buck
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArmy] [#7]
IMO inside the home range, it makes very little difference on the lethality of each shot wither it be 20ga or 12ga. What will be different is recoil, I'd much rather shoot a high brass 20ga shell in a small shotgun than take a small 12ga with highbrass 3 1/2" shells. But will be effective if you hit your target.

A Remington slugger 2 3/4 High Velocity shells will spit a half oz slug at 1800fps That's a 218gr slug for example slug going 1800fps. It's going to pack a pretty good punch 1568ft/lb to be exact. That said, I still say a shotgun is NOT optimal for home defense, but if you put the slugs on target, yes it will more than do the job.

I don't play the 3 gun game, but I do own a 20ga Ithaca M37 Ultra feather light Deer Slayer pump that's awesome! It's to long for Home D though. LEO used the M37 12ga for a long time though. Reliable as hell and smooooooth as butter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top