Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2014 6:30:05 PM EDT
Watching a 3 gun video of the Proam at Rockcastle and noticed the shooters rifle without the forward assist.  The upper had the mount but the plunger and catch we're not installed. What would be the reason for this or is it a personal preference issue?  I don't recall reading about this or seeing it anywhere before in regard to a competition  rifle.

http://youtu.be/2Ttg90tvL6c
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It should go, worthless appendage.  And no, you don't need it for press checks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It should go

It's just excess weight
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any use whatsoever for the forward assist so I lobbied hard and got John at Rainier Arms to make an upper without forward assist.

I have them on all of my ARs, except the ones with the vintage M16 uppers that also lack the forward assist.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If he had a plug in there taking up space my guess is he has a light weight bolt carrier group where they do not have the serrations for the forward assist to catch on so no need to have it on there as it wont have anything to push on so EGW has a plug to fill the space.  I have them in some and in some i got without the forward assist.  I can say I have never used it and if it dosent close im not gonnna push it in with a forward assist
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Just build one using a 9mm upper.  You may need to drill the hole for the gas tube, but otherwise it should all be plug 'n play.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Lightweight is more useful .
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OTTOSEAR:
View Quote

With a multi pound lead weight in the butt, how do you justify a one ounce weight reduction as "lightweight"?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ArmyOrdGuy:

With a multi pound lead weight in the butt, how do you justify a one ounce weight reduction as "lightweight"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I can tell which competition you prefer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

View All Quotes

Precision rather than blasting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

I'm glad you enjoy your gun game, but that's no reason to mock anyone elses hobby.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyOrdGuy] [#11]

I'm glad you enjoy your gun game, but that's no reason to mock anyone elses hobby.
View All Quotes

It's neither. It's a profession.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Stuck < Very Stuck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
It's neither. It's a profession.
View Quote

AMU? Still a gun game, even if what AMU does in general isn't playing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Another fad. If you need it and don't have it you'll be unscrewing the receiver extension
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hellmann9655:
Another fad. If you need it and don't have it you'll be unscrewing the receiver extension
View Quote

Or not.

Are you telling me that you are going to force ammunition into the chamber if it won't go into battery by itself?

What good will that do?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Useful for hunting
Somewhat useful for serious use

Not very useful for competition.

No real reason to have, or not have it
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]
in comp (3 gun type) the last thing you want to do is try and force feed a round that did go into battery normally. You eject that round and continue.  FA 9/10 just makes things worse.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used the FA in the military. Helped me if there was sand grains in the upper contacting the bcg. In a life or death situation I'd rather have it and be able to use it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By army11b:
I've used the FA in the military. Helped me if there was sand grains in the upper contacting the bcg. In a life or death situation I'd rather have it and be able to use it.
View Quote

I used mine in the Army too.  There was so much sand in it that it wouldn't close until I ran the charging handle once.

Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Never used it once.  Didn't see the point in slamming the bolt on a jammed receiver.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#21]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By EKUJustice:
If he had a plug in there taking up space my guess is he has a light weight bolt carrier group where they do not have the serrations for the forward assist to catch on so no need to have it on there as it wont have anything to push on so EGW has a plug to fill the space.  I have them in some and in some i got without the forward assist.  I can say I have never used it and if it dosent close im not gonnna push it in with a forward assist
View Quote

This is even more retarded than not having one.

So you have the thing sticking out, plus the weight of the plug, but it doesn't do anything?

Why not actually have the FA, at least you have utility
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#23]
It was the wrong solution to a problem. Yet decades later, the FA still exists. It should go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top