Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2014 5:05:36 PM EDT
im trying to get set up and start shooting in service rifle in the next year or two and need a starter coat. i know most of the answers are going to be save up and buy a good creedmoor coat, which i plan on doing but im still saving to get my upper and just need a starter coat to start practicing and going to appleseeds.

i was thinking starting with an ACU jacket, putting in the cheap foam insert elbow pads and sewing in some 1/4" felt in the pulse points. what else would you guys suggest i do to this thing to make it work or now until i can get a real coat? should i use leather instead of felt (i have buckskin and latigo)?

any help would be great, i havent found a dang thing about doing something like this using google.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot my first SR match in a heavy denim coat. It didn't give support but it took a lot of pressure off of my arm when I was slung up.

Then I got a really nice creedmore coat off of eBay for $90.

I think an ACU coat would work fine as a starter, even without the modifications.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
When I started I used an ACU jacket.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot my first SR match in a heavy denim coat. It didn't give support but it took a lot of pressure off of my arm when I was slung up.

Then I got a really nice creedmore coat off of eBay for $90.

I think an ACU coat would work fine as a starter, even without the modifications.
View Quote

Which is part of the reason why you want to wear a sweatshirt under even a conventional shooting jacket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top