Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2014 10:08:22 PM EDT
One of my New Years resolution is to get out and shoot more.  Want to start with IDPA in the Dallas/Plano area. Some background, have previously shot SASS so am aware of safety rules & do what the RSO says, do have a G26 + mags, have previously taken the advancd tactical training class at Tiger Valley, and know that certain movements are not permitted by my fuxxored left ankle & will just have to eat those points. I'm 58 & not going to get my ego bruised if that old basketball injury keeps me in the novice class. Will get my IDPA membership on Friday. Do have a leather thumb break IWB and a Galco pancake that both definitly cover the trigger.

Now for the questions:

Is a stock G26 OK for IDPA?

I found the GSSF accidentally on google. The Dallas Pistol Club isn't accepting new members. Does anyone know if there is another north Dallas GSSF club? Haven't heard that much about GSSF shooting, is it mostly used to get the once a year discounted pistol?

The LGS has a Walther PPX for $350 which is 200 less than a G19. If I got the PPX, would it be OK for IDPA and USPSA?

Any other pointers I need to know?

Thanks for the input,

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot IDPA now for a couple years. You will find out your glock 26 will be smaller that what must people will be using. But you can start with it and see what you want to move to next. I started out with my beretta 92 and decided I didn't like the trigger for competition. After seeing what other guys were using I chose the glock 34. If you go with a 9mm glock the mags will work in the 26 also. Some guys like the 17 and some like the 34. It's a personal choice. Just go out and have some fun first and save up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Any other pointers I need to know?

View Quote

Start out slow. Speed will come later. And most people are willing to help out people new to the sport. It may be best to read through the rules. They are on the website. There are a lot of videos to help too. Check out the power factor guys vids.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Start out with your 26.  Strive to be smooth and accurate, clean draw, clean reloads, clean movement.  Go as Slow as you have to be to be Smooth and Accurate.  The rest will come in time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top