Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2013 10:55:25 AM EDT

Need some sage advice about which platform.

I have an option on a CG-80. Caliber is 6.5x55. The rifle is in excellent condition. They are certainly collectable and the price is just under a grand. I currently do not load this caliber but shoot 6.5 CM so I have suitable projectiles.

I also have an option on a WOA Service Rifle Upper. Like new. I load .223 and I have the tools to swap out the barrel when needed. Price is about the same.

I'm more familiar with the AR platform as the A2 was the latest and greatest when I was a boot. I have a lower for it, etc.

I'm not sure how much serious competition I will do if any. I'd love to shoot a match or two a year.

What do y'all think?

Paul
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you more interested in shooting high power in the service rifle or match rifle catagory?

Answering that question will start you in the direction that you want to go.

If you decide that you do want to shoot match rifle, then you are going to have to consider whether the CG80 rifle fits you, whether or not it is one that you believe that you could successfully shoot in competition (which is different, potentially from the guns abilities, and whether that rifle could handicap your performance (which is yet another distinct question altogether).

I don't have any personal experience with either product. However, WOA does have a reputation for making a top quality product. (you will want to make sure that you use an appropriate trigger (IAW current rules) and properly weight the rifle...from personal experience, shooting service rifle with a stock trigger is a handicap).

The CG80 was the product of product improvement and evolution of the course of a series. Assuming everything else is good, I might have two concerns- 1) Will the action and configuration, as good as they may be, be effective against modern designs? 2) How will the condition of the rifle impact it's performance?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like it depends upon 1. which kind of competition shooting you want to do  and 2. which rifle do you "like" more.
The AR obviously is suited for service rifle, "across the course" competition, much like the rifle qualification that you'd shot in the the Corp
The CG80 would be much better in slow prone fire, compared to the AR.  The ergonomics and the ballistics are vastly superior in slow prone.  The 6.5 is an excellent round for mid and long distance with the 140/142 bullets.  So if you want to shoot midrange or long range from the ground, get the CG and you can shoot that with iron match sights and a sling as it was designed to do, or scope it and try F class shooting with a rest.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top